Apple Tree with Co-dominant Leaders

meyerske

5 year old buck +
Is having a 3 year old apple tree with co-dominant leaders a viable option, or do I just bite the bullet and cut one of them off? It will literally take off half of the tree.
c66290bbcba655d76707c0016a18ae2f.jpg

I agree, that one doesn't look so good for future heavy fruit loads. For small crab apple types probably not as much a concern. Just about all my wild apple trees have multiple stems and junk but they do tend to a little more of a U shape versus what that one is i.e. V shape

That sucks, shame it wasn't cut off two years ago! I would bite the bullet on that one snip off the most curved and give it some love.

I agree. Save the best one and remove the other. Sucks, but 5 years from now you will forget you ever had to do it.

-John

Yeah one is going to break off in the future anyway and probably be more damaging.

Last year I cut off a forked leader on an up & coming Enterprise tree. It took off a good portion of the tree, but I'm now glad I did it. I was at camp yesterday and that tree's shape is MUCH better now, and other than the pruning scar, you'd never know so much had been cut away last winter.

Yep, Bite the bullet now and pick the straightest stem to save. This tree still has a lot of growing to do, so the crown will likely balance itself out in a few years. You may have to prune for a few years to encourage more balanced limb load. - just my 2 cents.

I'm in the same boat but I dare say my problem child tree is another year older / bigger around. It was supposed to be a smaller crab so I was not concerned however last year it through a mid to large green apple! which changes the spectrum a bit. I will tell you that last year I took away half of a Dabinette tree last year (in a younger smaller size) where I struggled to try to call which half was dominant. It grew like the dickens and turned out fine so I doubt there is a large chance of killing the tree via too much take away.

Thanks guys! It is unanimous that the second leader must go.