Apple tree tap root

Telemark

5 year old buck +
I'm repotting some seedlings. The tap roots were shockingly long.
20200212_202928.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that’s crazy... better dig that hole deep ehh

I cut it and repotted it. I can't dig a hole that deep, and I don't have a spot prepared for them yet. But it was a lesson well learned. I think I will start root pruning with bags.

Looks like a good reason to grow seedlings in their permanent homes

Looks like a good reason to grow seedlings in their permanent homes

Definitely my plan for the future.

An internet search states that is a normal embryonic taproot that just helps the tree get started And it is a temporary root.
www.coldhardyfruits.com. Scroll down to subject-Are apple tree roots invasive?

Very interesting subject you brought up Telemark.

Anyway, the attached photo shows what I will be using this year to grow deep tap root seedlings. I’ll be using Walmart bags (air pruning), turned inside out, and then repeatedly stapled vertically at 6” from the side ultrasonic bonds.

IMG_2071.jpg

Last edited:
I light have access to similar bags. Do you poke holes in them, or is the weave loose enough to let root tips poke through?

that is a normal embryonic taproot that just helps the tree get started And it is a temporary root.

That's interesting, and certainly a relief.

Telemark: I don't poke holes in the material. Air passes through it rather easily. (You can test that out by holding one of the bags to your mouth and blowing through it.) I noticed last year that water was reluctant to pass through the side of the bags, except for ones in which the potting soil was clay. Otherwise, the water stayed in the bags until it reached the bottom and then drained out from there.

Sounds good. I will try that.