Apple Tree experts in the UP

I am in 4b. Wild crabs. I would say that is a yes. I have at least. (counting) 9 trees that are wild growing at my place. I have another question to the group. And I swear on my life this is a true story!!!

I would say about 30 yards from a very good stand that I have sat in numerous times there is a apple tree that was discovered two weeks ago! The tree was so engulfed in other trees it was almost gone. I spent the past sunday releasing it. The tallest apple tree I have ever seen. And I swear on my life I was with my nephews 26 and 23 and they have never ever seen it there either. Anyways, this apple tree has ONE trunk and there are TWO distinct apples on this tree!!!! One is a very large green and the other is a smaller red one. I have a picture of the tree. I don't have a close up of the apples. Is this possible???? I swear on my mothers eyes. The apples on this tree are different and I will guarantee this is a wild type of tree. How I have missed this for 5 years is beyond me. View attachment 1905
I don't understand these things very well, but they say haralred developed as some sort of mutation on one limb of a Haralson. Maybe that is what happened.

Why does it happen?

It was just reaching up looking for light. As for two varieties, was it at an old home site? I'd imagine it was planted and the smaller red apples was the rootstock, but with one trunk, I don't know. Maybe someone grafted another variety to it. Are they both good eating? Sounds like a great find regardless.

Last edited:
There is NO WAY someone planted this tree!! It's 240 acres back from the original farm house. NO WAY. I would be floored if someone grafted on to it. But, you never know I guess. When I get up there next. I will take close ups of the apples. My nephews and I have all said, you gotta wonder if there is another tree we haven't seen yet.

What is a frickin cellar hole....? This ain't the south.. If there is a hole in the ground 9 times out of ten it's a mine.

Many of our crab apple trees are at the edge of seasonally flooded areas. The seed/apples must wash down stream with high water. We have that high water at present with 7 inches of rain in 4 days. Apples are also ripe.

Yup, same thing here NH. That's why I asked if it was an old home site.

just being funny.. Didn't know what a cellar hole was.

In my neck of the woods, it's just " an old stone foundation ". Flashy huh??? Good find though. I found a lone apple tree out in the middle of nowhere back in the 1970's. It was an old tree then and in remote mountains. No old homesteads, farms, etc. Could something like that be from an apple core from a logger's lunch or a fisherman's snack? ( it was near a wild trout stream ). Thoughts???

Hey, good find on the monster apple tree UP!

NH Mtns. - No hiking trails anywhere near or fire towers. Bear dropping...... maybe. They travel. No other apple trees around for miles. I wonder if someone planted it years ago as a seedling with the idea of making a secret hunting spot.

Well it is strange to be out in the middle of nowhere. I'd bet your on to something Bowsnbucks. Small red apple and a big yellow reeks of a cultivated tree.

Hopefully you find some more UP!

Last edited:
Maya - It wasn't me who found the tree with 2 kinds of apples on it. It was UP Powers. I found a remote tree as well, but it's just a one-apple tree. UP found the double. You're right though - HE might be onto something.

IME Spring is the best time to be out looking for fruit trees. Blossoms stand out much better to my eye than do fruit.
Agreed.

Maya - It wasn't me who found the tree with 2 kinds of apples on it. It was UP Powers. I found a remote tree as well, but it's just a one-apple tree. UP found the double. You're right though - HE might be onto something.
I know . I was just agreeing w/ your secret spot theory as to why there is a tree in the middle of nowhere. There I edited it.

Maya - Got it. I missed the boat on that one.

ok. false alarm. The apples are the same. the apples that were larger and were the same variety. It appears to be on a branch that was "newer" and probably had a better shot at the light. My dad claims it is the tallest apple tree he has ever seen. I spend "ALL DAY" rescreening all the apple trees on the trunks, increasing cage sizes, cleaning the floor with a weed whipper, and removing cages from the dead apple trees that have fallen to the voles. My nephew, his girlfriend, helped me all day. It was a great day and they were troopers! It was a ton of work. I am moving to the "orchard" tomorrow right by camp to do the screening on the trunks and clean the floor. If I get advice and I don't follow it, shame on me. I am going to follow Franks advice to the letter of the law and I have made a dramatic change in my strategy already, and I have executed on it.

Sound like your on the right tradck UP. Have patience and in a couple of years you should see the results of your hard work.

Just another update. Took all the brush from the releases on the hidden apple tree and placed it as a visual screen. I have a neighbor that sits a little close to one of my alfalfa fields. Finished the orchard today with my 81 year old dad and he was a great inspiration. Words like.. Is it lunch yet.. And u need more apple trees like another hole in your head and this is a lesson in futility , haha. Gotta love the old man.

Sprayed the floor on all trees with sizamine and gly. Frank gave me some sizamine. I felt really good leaving today and two of the hardest days I have worked in a while.

Get lots of pictures, UP!