Anyone still culling bucks to improve antler size?

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
I remember some old threads on here discussing culling bucks quite a while back. For those of you who still think this is effective, I'd suggest listening to the MSU Deer Lab podcast on the subject: http://extension.msstate.edu/deer-u...-032-culling-improve-genetics-fact-or-fiction

Even for those who don't cull, it is a good listen. It goes beyond debunking the myth and identifies some pretty negative consequences of attempting it. There is even a little discussion of the psychology of hunters looking for an excuse to harvest a young buck when there is social pressure to let young bucks walk. This is a reasonable explanation of why so many folks still advocate for it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Thanks,

Jack

Amen! Hope anyone that thinks culling improves genetics listens to this.

IMO, “Quality” is a relative term and also a commercialized term. It sells! Management is way over emphasized. In most of South Mississippi (1000-2000ac clubs) it is so thick you cannot simply drive around and review your deer herd & some of the bucks may only appear during rut. There’s adequate browse 9-10 months of the year. Deer don’t have to move. How do you manage a herd you cannot see? I do not think you can base a management style on camera data and/or after-the-fact kill data either. But, what do I know...

If you get a thrill from killing 120” buck, I simply congratulate you. If you let him go and grow, good for you. Just enjoy the hunt!

We “cull” bucks to some extent. My ground is at carrying capacity, so we feel like we need to shoot a few deer every year to keep the population from further increasing. On my my 300 acres last year, I had 24 different bucks with at least 3 pts on one side. We have a 1:1 buck:doe ratio. So, I feel like we need to harvest bucks and does in the same proportion most years. We might kill three or four mature bucks in a year - but we generally dont have the opportunity to kill three or four quality bucks in a year - so we select the bucks for harvest by what we consider inferior antler quality in a mature buck. If we have a mature (4.5 or older) buck with no eye guards, or very narrow spread or small general antler size - then that is a buck we would select. For example - I killed a seven pt, 5.5 yr old buck last year that would have gross scored about 110”. We dont kill them so much with the idea that we are improving the herd - as we are that some bucks need to be killed, we like to eat deer meat, and we dont want the inferior bucks doing the breeding. While culling for genetics in a wild herd may not help, If some deer need to be removed, I dont see how selecting inferior quality bucks is going to hurt.

" Culling" for herd mgt = good
"culling" believing you are impacting genetics = doesn't work

We “cull” bucks to some extent. My ground is at carrying capacity, so we feel like we need to shoot a few deer every year to keep the population from further increasing. On my my 300 acres last year, I had 24 different bucks with at least 3 pts on one side. We have a 1:1 buck:doe ratio. So, I feel like we need to harvest bucks and does in the same proportion most years. We might kill three or four mature bucks in a year - but we generally dont have the opportunity to kill three or four quality bucks in a year - so we select the bucks for harvest by what we consider inferior antler quality in a mature buck. If we have a mature (4.5 or older) buck with no eye guards, or very narrow spread or small general antler size - then that is a buck we would select. For example - I killed a seven pt, 5.5 yr old buck last year that would have gross scored about 110”. We dont kill them so much with the idea that we are improving the herd - as we are that some bucks need to be killed, we like to eat deer meat, and we dont want the inferior bucks doing the breeding. While culling for genetics in a wild herd may not help, If some deer need to be removed, I dont see how selecting inferior quality bucks is going to hurt.

Take no offense, but how do you manage 300 acres? Do you have neighboring clubs that conform to your management system? How do you keep this herd on your acres? We had a picture of a unique horned deer that was killed over 2 miles away from our club.

Not counting your deer with less than 3pts/side, I calculated you have 48 deer/300ac=6.2 deer/acre. Do you have fertile land or feed year round?

Take no offense, but how do you manage 300 acres? Do you have neighboring clubs that conform to your management system? How do you keep this herd on your acres? We had a picture of a unique horned deer that was killed over 2 miles away from our club.

Not counting your deer with less than 3pts/side, I calculated you have 48 deer/300ac=6.2 deer/acre. Do you have fertile land or feed year round?

The deer do not stay on my land - and no, the locals do not conform to our management desires. I dont grow a lot of these deer - I attract them from adjoining lands - all with a much lower deer density. A lot of the locals wont shoot a 2.5 yr old deer - a few do. On the larger bucks, It is a matter a matter of who kills them first. We had pictures of five target bucks last year. All of them were killed - one by my group. Generally - about twenty to thirty percent escape harvest. We also killed a nice deer that wasnt on camera and also one “oops”. My management philosophy is to provide as much food to attract as many deer as I can, and to hold them on my property as long as I can. Nobody else plants food plots - almost all run corn feeders. Of the five target bucks, one was killed on public 3/4 mile away, two were killed by neighbors 100 yards away, one was killed on private 1/2 mile away, and I killed one. No way would my land support that density if they all lived on it full time - but they come and go.

The deer do not stay on my land - and no, the locals do not conform to our management desires. I dont grow a lot of these deer - I attract them from adjoining lands - all with a much lower deer density. A lot of the locals wont shoot a 2.5 yr old deer - a few do. On the larger bucks, It is a matter a matter of who kills them first. We had pictures of five target bucks last year. All of them were killed - one by my group. Generally - about twenty to thirty percent escape harvest. We also killed a nice deer that wasnt on camera and also one “oops”. My management philosophy is to provide as much food to attract as many deer as I can, and to hold them on my property as long as I can. Nobody else plants food plots - almost all run corn feeders. Of the five target bucks, one was killed on public 3/4 mile away, two were killed by neighbors 100 yards away, one was killed on private 1/2 mile away, and I killed one. No way would my land support that density if they all lived on it full time - but they come and go.

Sounds about typical as mine. Probably typical of surrounding clubs. Most people can’t afford or won’t waste money, other than baiting under stands.

Thanks

I would never shoot a buck to try and improve antler size for the rest of the herd. Most of the Fudds in MN will shoot the first deer that walks by. If culling small bucks leads to bigger racks then northern MN should be full of brutes, but instead the average age is about 1.5.

I had the crosshairs on a small 8pt buck last year about 60 yards away. The rack was goofy and odd. I feel damn good knowing that I at least tried to get him to 3.5 years old and watched him walk away. I hope and pray he steps out when my daughter is with this year.

Where I live, 3.5 yr old bucks pretty much show their potential. 2.5 yr old bucks might really make a jump from one year to the next. But even if a 3.5 yr old buck doesnt show much - we typically dont try to kill one until they are 4.5/5.5. Our deer generally start going down at 6.5 - so we basically have a two year span to shoot them. Our average 4.5/5.5 yr old deer wont make 125”

Not for genetics but I’d rather a shoot a old 8 over a young 12. But that’s not really culling.

" Culling" for herd mgt = good
"culling" believing you are impacting genetics = doesn't work

You might want to explain that a bit further for folks so that "Culling for mgt" does not become an excuse for shooting young bucks....

The answer is "You don't". Unless you are close to controlling the home range of a buck, you are not going to manage for herd quality. Controlling the home range of a buck (say 1,000 acres as a nominal number) is probably on the ratty edge for being able to improve herd quality in measureable terms like antler size or body weight.

This does not mean you can't manage for hunting. One can make almost any size parcel much better for hunting with good management. It typically requires first analyzing 1,000 acres with your property centered and then the next 3 miles. Don't look at things from a herd management standpoint. Instead thinking about what bucks need and want during the hunting season in your area. Most guys think about food, but that is a much less important factor than security and sex. There may be some places where the surrounding area is so rich that there is little you can do on a small parcel, but that is not typical.

Listen to the pod cast. It points out that there is no way to identify an "inferior" breeder externally. It is toward the end of the podcast when they get into "breeding value". It is about that point in the podcast where they get into how the unintended consequences of intense culling can be harmful. In your case, you are not killing nearly enough bucks to have any negative impact. As baker was pointing out above, shooting bucks to manage for sex ratio is fine. Don't delude yourself that shooting a buck with an antler configuration you might think of as "inferior" instead of shooting a buck that has an antler configuration you consider "superior" has any positive effect on the herd whatsoever.

Probably the biggest negative impact the culling myth has is that most of the deer shot under the guise of "culling" are small antlered deer and have small antlers because they are young. This leads to a bias in buck age structure in the herd. Many hunters want to shoot a buck but don't want the social pressure in the hunting community today of shooting a small or young buck. Rather than just saying I shot it because I wanted to, they try to justify it under the guise of "culling". So, say you have a couple hundred acres, not enough to really mange the herd. You might have neighbors with 50, 70, 400, 200, and 600 acres. While you are all independently making decisions about what deer to harvest, the myth of culling in the hunting community results in all of you shooting small or odd racked (often injured) bucks. In general, more young bucks are removed from the herd than older bucks and the result is that fewer bucks make it to maturity.

If you have experienced hunters on your place, you can identify older bucks by a combination of antlers and other body characteristics. Selecting older bucks (regardless of specific antler configuration) is a great way to have a positive impact on your herd, but it is not always easy to do in the field. Using this as a primary criteria will generally result in enough somewhat younger bucks being shot by mistake to keep a pretty good age structure. However, if neighbors are shooting young bucks given their range, it will be a challenge.

Where I live, 3.5 yr old bucks pretty much show their potential. 2.5 yr old bucks might really make a jump from one year to the next. But even if a 3.5 yr old buck doesnt show much - we typically dont try to kill one until they are 4.5/5.5. Our deer generally start going down at 6.5 - so we basically have a two year span to shoot them. Our average 4.5/5.5 yr old deer wont make 125”

We certainly have smaller bucks than the mid-west and many other areas. Our strategy is to target 3 1/2 year and older bucks. We pick this because it is relatively easy to differentiate between a 3 1/2 year old and younger in our area based on antlers alone. I think this is reasonably achievable by all but novice hunters. If we tried to limit ourselves to 4 1/2 and older most folks would never shoot a buck on our place. We put no antler restrictions on young and novice hunters. It has take us over 10 years, but we are slow seeing more larger antlered bucks on camera. It is rare to shoot one, but we know they are out there. While we have done a lot with food and cover, I attribute most of this to letting young bucks walk.

I personally think the most important class to protect in our area is 2 1/2 year old deer. They are hear to say. Unless you shoot mom, most bucks will disperse at 12 and 18 months. We just like to save those for our novice hunters.

Thanks,

Jack

You might want to explain that a bit further for folks so that "Culling for mgt" does not become an excuse for shooting young bucks....
I'll try to keep it simple and short as we are having a hurricane Barry party here .

Numerous scientific studies have proven beyond reproach that culling to change genetic characteristics does not work! In my practical experience I have also seen that it does not work. The key to improving herd quality is nutrition and age!!!Almost everywhere in the country deer in all age classes can be improved by improving nutrition!!! It is impossible to tell a deers genetic potential till he is at least 3 and preferably 4. Period! And I have seen countless 'regular' looking 4 yr olds blow up into incredible animals later in life . I've seen bucks grow their best set of antlers at 10. If he was shot at 4 he would have been robbed of over 35" of growth.

The only reason to remove a buck with lessor appearing antlers is to manage overall population to assure peak nutritional availability for the rest of the herd and secondarily to keep buck/doe ratios in line. And for that and any other management reason that removal shouldn't happen before a deer is at least 4.If a herd is characterized by having few bucks over 3 then there is no reason to remove any buck other than you liked him and wanted to shoot him.

Back to my hurricane margarita

Here is a brief video showing age and antler progression.The main point is to show a buck going from 10 pts with a couple kickers back to 8 pts then to an 8 pt with a drop. Point being bucks change with age for a lot of reasons and age is always your friend.

Does the doe contribute nothing to the genetic makeup and potential of a particular buck ?
She surely does, every bit as much as her male mate. So should we cull does too based on their size, etc. No, we tend to shoot the largest one in the group when possible which in turn may be the worst thing we could do. Culling so called inferior bucks does not work and will not work unless we cull the so called inferior does too, imo. Culling sounds good but does not work in the real world situation most of us hunters deal with. Age, genetics, and nutrition does, anything else is just a pipe dream.

Does the doe contribute nothing to the genetic makeup and potential of a particular buck ?
She surely does, every bit as much as her male mate. So should we cull does too based on their size, etc. No, we tend to shoot the largest one in the group when possible which in turn may be the worst thing we could do. Culling so called inferior bucks does not work and will not work unless we cull the so called inferior does too, imo. Culling sounds good but does not work in the real world situation most of us hunters deal with. Age, genetics, and nutrition does, anything else is just a pipe dream.

And it gets even more complicated than that. Physical characteristics like the antler size on a buck or the body size on a doe are not directly related to "breeding value". If you define "breeding value" as the number of offspring a deer produces that have your desired characteristic, it is not directly correlated with that characteristic on the breeder. One example provided in the podcast is small antlered old bucks that are the sire of large antlered young bucks and large antlered older bucks that sire small antlered younger bucks.

Your conclusion is spot on. Age, and nutrition are the primary drivers. While genetics play a significant role, we can modify underlying genetics except behind a high fence. However, we can increase the genetic expression of future generations through improved nutrition (epigenetics).

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: don

The answer is "You don't". Unless you are close to controlling the home range of a buck, you are not going to manage for herd quality. Controlling the home range of a buck (say 1,000 acres as a nominal number) is probably on the ratty edge for being able to improve herd quality in measureable terms like antler size or body weight.

This does not mean you can't manage for hunting. One can make almost any size parcel much better for hunting with good management. It typically requires first analyzing 1,000 acres with your property centered and then the next 3 miles. Don't look at things from a herd management standpoint. Instead thinking about what bucks need and want during the hunting season in your area. Most guys think about food, but that is a much less important factor than security and sex. There may be some places where the surrounding area is so rich that there is little you can do on a small parcel, but that is not typical.

Listen to the pod cast. It points out that there is no way to identify an "inferior" breeder externally. It is toward the end of the podcast when they get into "breeding value". It is about that point in the podcast where they get into how the unintended consequences of intense culling can be harmful. In your case, you are not killing nearly enough bucks to have any negative impact. As baker was pointing out above, shooting bucks to manage for sex ratio is fine. Don't delude yourself that shooting a buck with an antler configuration you might think of as "inferior" instead of shooting a buck that has an antler configuration you consider "superior" has any positive effect on the herd whatsoever.

Probably the biggest negative impact the culling myth has is that most of the deer shot under the guise of "culling" are small antlered deer and have small antlers because they are young. This leads to a bias in buck age structure in the herd. Many hunters want to shoot a buck but don't want the social pressure in the hunting community today of shooting a small or young buck. Rather than just saying I shot it because I wanted to, they try to justify it under the guise of "culling". So, say you have a couple hundred acres, not enough to really mange the herd. You might have neighbors with 50, 70, 400, 200, and 600 acres. While you are all independently making decisions about what deer to harvest, the myth of culling in the hunting community results in all of you shooting small or odd racked (often injured) bucks. In general, more young bucks are removed from the herd than older bucks and the result is that fewer bucks make it to maturity.

If you have experienced hunters on your place, you can identify older bucks by a combination of antlers and other body characteristics. Selecting older bucks (regardless of specific antler configuration) is a great way to have a positive impact on your herd, but it is not always easy to do in the field. Using this as a primary criteria will generally result in enough somewhat younger bucks being shot by mistake to keep a pretty good age structure. However, if neighbors are shooting young bucks given their range, it will be a challenge.

We certainly have smaller bucks than the mid-west and many other areas. Our strategy is to target 3 1/2 year and older bucks. We pick this because it is relatively easy to differentiate between a 3 1/2 year old and younger in our area based on antlers alone. I think this is reasonably achievable by all but novice hunters. If we tried to limit ourselves to 4 1/2 and older most folks would never shoot a buck on our place. We put no antler restrictions on young and novice hunters. It has take us over 10 years, but we are slow seeing more larger antlered bucks on camera. It is rare to shoot one, but we know they are out there. While we have done a lot with food and cover, I attribute most of this to letting young bucks walk.

I personally think the most important class to protect in our area is 2 1/2 year old deer. They are hear to say. Unless you shoot mom, most bucks will disperse at 12 and 18 months. We just like to save those for our novice hunters.

Thanks,

Jack

I dont have any illusions that we are affecting any change within the deer herd by shooting bucks with inferior antlers and body composition. The point being - we need to kill some deer because of the density. We are at a 1:1 buck doe ratio now, so some of the deer we kill need to be bucks to keep the herd balanced. If we are going to kill bucks that are not what we consider trophy quality - we choose bucks with less desirable antler or body conformation. What would you do - shoot bucks that have better trophy potential but just havent realized their potential yet?

I dont have any illusions that we are affecting any change within the deer herd by shooting bucks with inferior antlers and body composition. The point being - we need to kill some deer because of the density. We are at a 1:1 buck doe ratio now, so some of the deer we kill need to be bucks to keep the herd balanced. If we are going to kill bucks that are not what we consider trophy quality - we choose bucks with less desirable antler or body conformation. What would you do - shoot bucks that have better trophy potential but just havent realized their potential yet?

Well, I don't do trophy management. I'm managing for a healthy herd with a healthy age and sex structure. I'm balancing that with introducing youth to hunting. So, the guidance I would provide to our experienced hunters is to simply shoot any buck they like in our target age class. That is me in my setting.

I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. If you have sufficient acreage to hold bucks and they won't be shot by the neighbors, I see nothing wrong with passing on any buck that has what you consider a desirable rack because you think you might get a chance to harvest that same deer in another year or two when he is even bigger.

I've got no issue with the selecting whatever bucks you want when balancing sex ratios. The only part of your argument I disagree with is the "we don't want inferior bucks breeding". That implies some kind of positive impact on the herd based on your selection of antler characteristics. This is what the study debunks. But passing a good buck because you want an opportunity at him in a future year when he is bigger is fine. While most of us would risk that buck being shot by a neighbor, this is a common practice with folks managing larger areas.

Thanks,

jack

Sounds about typical as mine. Probably typical of surrounding clubs. Most people can’t afford or won’t waste money, other than baiting under stands.

Thanks

Thanks,

Jack
And it gets even more complicated than that. Physical characteristics like the antler size on a buck or the body size on a doe are not directly related to "breeding value". If you define "breeding value" as the number of offspring a deer produces that have your desired characteristic, it is not directly correlated with that characteristic on the breeder. One example provided in the podcast is small antlered old bucks that are the sire of large antlered young bucks and large antlered older bucks that sire small antlered younger bucks.

Your conclusion is spot on. Age, and nutrition are the primary drivers. While genetics play a significant role, we can modify underlying genetics except behind a high fence. However, we can increase the genetic expression of future generations through improved nutrition (epigenetics).

Thanks,

Jack

Here's a question or two.

Why do deer breeders keep and use the biggest antlered deer for their breeding? They use does that are sired from well known monster bucks. If it works for breeders of all animals, then we should let the almighty big ones walk and shoot the smaller ones! Yeah right! ha

Why will just 1 or 2 bucks in a club get really big? Are they hogging all the high value nourishments? Where did the never before seen genetics come from?

How does a deer that is freak of nature monster all of a sudden appear on a sub-prime, club? Can't blame it on the milkman!

Well, I don't do trophy management. I'm managing for a healthy herd with a healthy age and sex structure. I'm balancing that with introducing youth to hunting. So, the guidance I would provide to our experienced hunters is to simply shoot any buck they like in our target age class. That is me in my setting.

I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. If you have sufficient acreage to hold bucks and they won't be shot by the neighbors, I see nothing wrong with passing on any buck that has what you consider a desirable rack because you think you might get a chance to harvest that same deer in another year or two when he is even bigger.

I've got no issue with the selecting whatever bucks you want when balancing sex ratios. The only part of your argument I disagree with is the "we don't want inferior bucks breeding". That implies some kind of positive impact on the herd based on your selection of antler characteristics. This is what the study debunks. But passing a good buck because you want an opportunity at him in a future year when he is bigger is fine. While most of us would risk that buck being shot by a neighbor, this is a common practice with folks managing larger areas.

Thanks,

jack

If a 4.5 yr old buck exhibits poor antler quality and/or poor body conformity, yes, it could be something besides genetics causing that. But, what other tangible basis do you have to make your selection? We don't have the option of running down and doing a genetics test on them before we pull the trigger. This is a common sense, in the field decision. There is just as much, and probably more chance, that the inferiority is caused by genetics as anything - especially when you are hunting bucks living in the same area. I will take my chances shooting a poor quality buck, be it genetics or otherwise, as opposed to shooting a nice buck that hasn't reached his potential - when you are hunting to reduce buck numbers. You have to have some criteria. And if I have a good quality buck - I want him passing his genes. If I have a poor quality buck - I don't want him passing his genes. Yes, I know their appearance may not be indicative of what their true genetic material may be - but it is all I have to go on.

Most folks don't breed a hump backed dog with a sway backed dog to make a straight backed dog - most of us breed a straight backed dog with a straight backed dog to make a straight backed dog.:emoji_wink: