Anyone have any trees on G.890 rootstock?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I want to add a couple more trees this fall, and I'm considering using G.890. I've had good luck with MM111, but B118 doesn't work here without permanent staking. Does anyone have experience with G.890 that they could share? I realize the trees will be smaller than my MM111s, but I'm fine with that as long as they anchor well and don't create any other problems.

I"ve got a seven year GH on G890 and it has been fine for me, tree is around 12' now. In hind sight I wish I would have planted it deeper with graft plenty deep to try and get a bigger tree.
The G890 was the only rootstock I could find it on at the time.

From what I read about them, they sounded good to me for my home. This was right before I torn arm bicep, I had a G890 rootstock order and cancelled it. Forgot it it was maple hill or 39th parallel had them. Cummins nursery uses them alot, right where they were developed at cornell in ithaca, NY. It's either cummins or https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/ has a good description and rootstock for sale.

Been tempted to post a thread about rootstocks we use. What you like / dislike and life expectation. Some of these rootstocks are bred to grow fast, but use up their lifespan some by doing that.

An apple orchard I visit and have squirrel hunted for them uses G890 rootstock in their pick you own section. Definitely visitng them in october. They have Liberty, Enteprise, and Redfield growing there. Wanted to try out what I am growing.

From what I read about them, they sounded good to me for my home. This was right before I torn arm bicep, I had a G890 rootstock order and cancelled it. Forgot it it was maple hill or 39th parallel had them. Cummins nursery uses them alot, right where they were developed at cornell in ithaca, NY. It's either cummins or https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/ has a good description and rootstock for sale.

Been tempted to post a thread about rootstocks we use. What you like / dislike and life expectation. Some of these rootstocks are bred to grow fast, but use up their lifespan some by doing that.

An apple orchard I visit and have squirrel hunted for them uses G890 rootstock in their pick you own section. Definitely visitng them in october. They have Liberty, Enteprise, and Redfield growing there. Wanted to try out what I am growing.
Let me know what you think after the visit.

I'm ordering some from Cummins this fall to try....merry Christmas to me.

"G.890 produces trees that are 60% of seedling in NY growing conditions. It is a semi-vigorous selection whose productivity, disease resistance, and tolerance for a wide range of soils and climates make it far superior to M.7, MM.106, and MM.111."

Yes but only 1. I had to have a Zestar and Cummins only had it in this rootstock when I ordered. Planted in 2018, been producing apples since 2021. Fast grower, earlier producer compared to B118 or MM111.