Anyone else gone Bonkers?

I don’t have high hopes for a quick bearing P.18. Fruiting quicker than Antonovka sets a pretty low bar. I planted a Chestnut crab on P.18 in 2019, so that may give me an idea on what to expect. I’ve planted 7 others since then (5 varieties).

Interestingly, a Goldrush on P.18 that I planted in 2020 produced blossoms in 2021. I let one apple grow to maturity and it was still hanging as of 10/28. Another Goldrush I planted in 2018 on B.118 began producing nice crops the following year, 2019, and has been ever since. I don’t recall Goldrush for being noted for precociousness, but my limited experience indicates it is. I kinda veered off-topic, but hopefully the Bonkers I/we’ve ordered on P.18 rootstock will produce fruit in our lifetimes.
I too have noticed that Goldrush seems to be conspicuously precocious. Grafts that I have worked in start fruiting the second year, even in lousy locations for fruiting.

Hmm... the mention of susceptibility to cold reminds me that I have a NY-35 on P.18 from Cummins planted at a camp in 3B, which I got because Liberty wasn't available. Grew very well last summer. Got down into the -20s a few times this winter, so I'm curious to see it this spring.

On the P.18 question, I have Goldrush on it from Cummins, and it flowered the first year. Didn't flower last year though. Growing very nicely and vigorously.
Just adding a datapoint for the archives - my NY-35 aka Bonkers on P.18 planted in 3B, which thrived during the first growing season, did indeed get killed over winter. It got down to about -30.

Just adding a datapoint for the archives - my NY-35 aka Bonkers on P.18 planted in 3B, which thrived during the first growing season, did indeed get killed over winter. It got down to about -30.
Sorry to hear you lost the "Bonkers" apple tree. What zone are you there?

Sorry to hear this tree/rootstock combination bit the dust in 3B, R.E. That said, it's really useful to document your experience.

I have liberty, Chestnut crab, frostbite, Bonkers, and Galarina on P.18. All are young yet (second or third leaf) but they are thriving here.

Zone 3B in the west-central Adirondacks
I missed your zone ID in post #22 above!! Just for a possible source for fruit trees - SLN sells trees that they grow in zone 3. SLN is in extreme northern N.Y. near the Canadian border.

I mentioned to Terry at whitetail crabs I was in zone 3A stillwater reservoir area. He sent me a few 30-06 and droptines on anty rootstock. Might be a new offering from him, or an experiment.

I wanted droptine at home, so I planted one of them at my home in hudson valley NY zone 5A, but there's (2) 30-06's and a droptine on anty up there now. Got real lucky this weekend. Ground was easy to dig. As per club bossman, no noticeable cages. So I made a branch thicket, see if it works. Will likely make it bigger and tie more of them together in the spring. Not much daylight this time of year....

Since there's a few ADK's folk on here, I was wondering how bad are snowshoe hare on apple trees. Soon as I drove into camp, there was a monster one nibbling on the clover by the firepit. Hoping 3ft is enough to prevent girdling. Don't see much tree damae like I used to. Tried to find an oddball blue beech they just keep hammering and yet stays alive. No luck finding it yesterday.

Attachments

• 20221210_152241.jpg
    20221210_152241.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221210_152244.jpg
    20221210_152244.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221210_152234.jpg
    20221210_152234.jpg
    621.5 KB · Views: 8