All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any target archers on here?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Curious as to if there are any target archers on the forum? I am giving some serious thought to taking up the sport. Lots of gear options and I am interested into what people are using.

I enjoy target archery... I shoot a PSE expression and love it!( very easy to change draw length / and let off without a press), Spot-hogg edge rest, doniker stabilizers, bee stinger quick disconnect, and davis system sight.

I hadnt looked at the Davis System Sight. I see they are made here in NE thats got to be a plus! What scope and lens combo are you shooting? I will likely stay with a Elite bow as I have a hunting model now and really like it. However, I will try and shoot a few different ones before I decide to go all in on a target bow.

What kind of target archery are you looking to get into?

Probably would be interested in shooting all 3 compound bow categories; indoor, outdoor and 3D.

I used to be a serious waterfowl hunter and I have come to the realization over the last year that I probably will never get that gung ho about it again. Decoys and such take up a lot of storage space, so I figure I will sell off most of my waterfowl gear and reinvest it into something I have a current interest in, takes up a lot less space and can be utilized 365 days a year.

Probably would be interested in shooting all 3 compound bow categories; indoor, outdoor and 3D.

I used to be a serious waterfowl hunter and I have come to the realization over the last year that I probably will never get that gung ho about it again. Decoys and such take up a lot of storage space, so I figure I will sell off most of my waterfowl gear and reinvest it into something I have a current interest in, takes up a lot less space and can be utilized 365 days a year.

Curious as to why your interest in waterfowl has waned? Tough hunting? Lose access? It's something that I liked to do with our relatives when we had a great place to go, but I don't love it enough to try the public land thing.

Use whatever you are most comfortable with and build your way up. There are so many different options for accessories that some really help and some not so much.
I think speed is over rated. Personally I think a bow that sits perfectly in ones hand is very important. The "kickstand" side stabilizers are huge when it comes fine tuning the balance off setting your sight. If you can't open your hand and have your sight level stay in place, you are going to torque your bow and accuracy will suffer. Another big thing for me was shooting a bare shaft to see which way it rotates before fletching. One last comment I will make is to draw your bow with your eyes closed. When at full draw, anchor everything so that it feels comfortable. When you open your eyes if everything isn't perfectly lined up with your peep sight and the bow is level, make adjustments.
It's hard to find good archery shops that will take the time to do these little things to get you set up. Most know their stuff but when it's busy, they can't take the time it takes.

Curious as to why your interest in waterfowl has waned? Tough hunting? Lose access? It's something that I liked to do with our relatives when we had a great place to go, but I don't love it enough to try the public land thing.
Where I live is a hit or miss for fall migration. We are also highly dependant on rainfall to have enough water to attract and hold birds. Seems as if the main migration corridor has shifted west over the last few years. I have a buddy and son, who live 3 hrs west of me, and were not into waterfowl hunting until about the last 3 years and now they cant get enough of it, but just about everytime they choose to go they shoot a limit, because they have birds everywhere. Dont get me wrong I am not saying I am giving up on waterfowl hunting comnpletely, just seriously scaling back in the equipment department! I used to probably waterfowl hunt 30 + days a year, now a typical year might have 6 hunts.

Use whatever you are most comfortable with and build your way up. There are so many different options for accessories that some really help and some not so much.
I think speed is over rated. Personally I think a bow that sits perfectly in ones hand is very important. The "kickstand" side stabilizers are huge when it comes fine tuning the balance off setting your sight. If you can't open your hand and have your sight level stay in place, you are going to torque your bow and accuracy will suffer. Another big thing for me was shooting a bare shaft to see which way it rotates before fletching. One last comment I will make is to draw your bow with your eyes closed. When at full draw, anchor everything so that it feels comfortable. When you open your eyes if everything isn't perfectly lined up with your peep sight and the bow is level, make adjustments.
It's hard to find good archery shops that will take the time to do these little things to get you set up. Most know their stuff but when it's busy, they can't take the time it takes.
Good points. I have shot a bow for 25+ years but only for the hunting aspect. I would rather harvest a animal with a bow than a rifle any day. You are right on Pro shops, good ones are hard to find and it tends to be a lengthy drive for me. At some point I will likely invest in a press and other gear so that I can do my own work. I do have a world class, female shooter from our some what local area. Thinking I might send her and email and see if she will give me some leads on equipment and shops she trusts.

Good points. I have shot a bow for 25+ years but only for the hunting aspect. I would rather harvest a animal with a bow than a rifle any day. You are right on Pro shops, good ones are hard to find and it tends to be a lengthy drive for me. At some point I will likely invest in a press and other gear so that I can do my own work. I do have a world class, female shooter from our some what local area. Thinking I might send her and email and see if she will give me some leads on equipment and shops she trusts.
The tough thing about buying your own press is that the bow designs have changed so much. First they had presses that would do parallel limb bows. The next year beyond parallel limb bows came out and you either need a bracket system or new press. I am all out for learning to do things your self but just take into consideration before you invest a pretty penny into a bow press.