Any Suggestions?

trampledbyturtles

5 year old buck +
Spring is rapidly approaching an like always its looking like I going to attempt to stretch my available time to the max.

With the number of bare root trees going in the ground I need a quicker way to dig holes an bust up sod than a shovel.
Contemplated a bob cat with post hole attachment, but that is not looking like a viable option at the moment, coupled with the inability to access certain areas of the farm.

Got to thinking...

I have an old eskimo ice auger that still runs like a champ considering its about 30 years old.
Would it be viable to put a different kind of flighting system an blade/bit on it to drill starter holes, then dig wider as needed with a shovel.

And if so, any recommendations on specific brand or where to look.
Thz

Last edited:
The Earthquake auger is what you are looking for. I have used them to plant 1000s of seedlings up to 3-0 transplants that are 2'-3' tall.

Earthquake Auger

How big of bare root trees do you have coming? Hard to beat the efficiency of a planting bar Dibble if your talking seedlings.
If your talking grafted fruit trees from a nursery, the post hole auger on a tractor or skidder is real nice. Just take caution your not going to deep. As it may actually drain to fast depending on your ground. Spray paint on the auger works as a reference height.
Ice auger won't work for dirt, could rent a small power one but may be more work carrying that around than its worth IMO.

Nailed it Tree Spud, just what I was looking for. Thz

Should be able to figure out a way to mount it to the eskimo if they don't line up just perfect.

How big of bare root trees do you have coming? Hard to beat the efficiency of a planting bar Dibble if your talking seedlings.
If your talking grafted fruit trees from a nursery, the post hole auger on a tractor or skidder is real nice. Just take caution your not going to deep. As it may actually drain to fast depending on your ground. Spray paint on the auger works as a reference height.
Ice auger won't work for dirt, could rent a small power one but may be more work carrying that around than its worth IMO.

Little bigger than seedling, believe they r 1 year.
Tried dibble bar last year, wasn't blown away. Trees went in fast, but I don't feel I was able to close the soil in around the sandbar willow seedlings well enough, an felt like all I did was open up air pockets that increased evaporation an dried out the soil deeper down faster.

Might have been user error, not sure.

Last edited:
The ice auger should work fine unless you have really rocky soil. I have an old bit for mine and use it all the time for drilling holes in the earth. Planting trees, hole for post on box blinds, etc. The old bit for the auger has a chipper blade on it, but it shouldn't matter what blade you use. I have even done it with no blade on the bit.