Any advice on Native Grasses / Forbs planting?

neonomad

5 year old buck +
Hello, I’m pretty new to the forum. I did do a search and reading beforehand... I’ve sprayed a few sections of our property (northeast Ohio), and plan to spray again in fall, with intention to broadcast grasses and forbs into 2021. I’ve tried this before, some success, some failure. I’m planning a few patches of thick switchgrass but for the most areas light on the grasses, and shorter varieties. In an area around a pond high priority is flowers. I was thinking I might do a light density broadcast of rye or some other grain this fall to prevent weeds early spring. Does that idea have merit?

Probably broadcast native seed in the late fall?

I’ve found natives to be much more challenging than food plots, and not cheap! I think I’d mow a few times next year, and then hope for a good 2022. Not sure on 2021 herbicide plan.

Any advice appreciated!

Also, in a half acre section that I did have decent success, Im seeing clovers starting to take over this year. What’s a good herbicide plan there? Thanks!

c30c237cb4ed56887b0c9e2f71694920.jpg

Check out Natives thread "Take a walk with me through the prairie" it should give you some ideas of what you may want to put out.

I'm still learning about planting NWSG & Forbes myself but I think your on the right path. Most of the plantings I've done have been sprayed the summer before like your doing then frost seeded in late winter or planted in spring. Most places will sell you pure live seed (PLS) and they can be planted just before green up and wont need to be stratified or startified (if I'm not mistaken) It would be a good idea to call a place like Ernst seeds or Roundstone Native seed and tell them your exact plan and they can then give you suggestions on what to plant and the best way to go about doing it.

I'm still learning about planting NWSG & Forbes myself but I think your on the right path. Most of the plantings I've done have been sprayed the summer before like your doing then frost seeded in late winter or planted in spring. Most places will sell you pure live seed (PLS) and they can be planted just before green up and wont need to be stratified or startified (if I'm not mistaken) It would be a good idea to call a place like Ernst seeds or Roundstone Native seed and tell them your exact plan and they can then give you suggestions on what to plant and the best way to go about doing it.

OK I spose it makes sense to call Ernst now and they could probably give me plenty of good advice. I thought I might even ask them for an herbicide friendly mix if that exists. Not that I’d hit it in June with glyphosate but there may be an early spring spray I could use, long term maintenance is high on the priority list...