antelope steaks

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
ok so a buddy gave me some antelope steaks to try. Anybody got a good recipe to share. Thx

I've only had them once and grilled them med rare. I could really taste the sage in them.

The possibilities are endless.

I often pound them out into schnitzels and after breading and frying, serve them up with creamy wild mushroom sauce.

Another favorite is to marinate in fajita seasoning, grill medium rare, slice, and serve with tortillas and fajita toppings.

Another option is to grill rare and serve with Cumberland sauce.

First I heard of Cumberland sauce but sounds interesting

Let us know how you like them. I was given some and I think it was the worst meat I have ever tasted. The sage was extremely strong tasting. There has to be some good recipes or marinades out there.

Grind them up with pork and make breakfast sausage?

Antelope meat is great, any recipe you like for deer steaks would work for venison. I typically can't tell much of a difference between antelope and deer, but there is a really slight sage flavor to it but it is barely detectible.

I think the negative stories about antelope meat come from guys who are given steaks from gut shot antelope that sit in a truck bed for way too long. It's frequently pretty warm in antelope country during the afternoons and if you don't take care of the meat it could spoil. I can't believe how many guys leave them in trucks on a sunny 70 degree day. If you treated a prime beef T-bone like that, it would also taste pretty bad. If you make a good shot and process the antelope correctly they taste great.

I really like deer and antelope fajitas, so that would be my recommendation. Let us know what you go with and how it tastes.

Lot's of truth to that Ben! Also depends on what type of country/vegetation that it's shot in. Ours gets skinned back at the truck and the meat on ice before we take off for another one. In our household, the only thing I've shot that rates higher than antelope is bison and have never had a bad one in over a dozen.

For the steaks, I prefer them breaded and panfried like the schnitzel suggestion. If grilling, no more than medium rare. They can get dry in a hurry.

I just had antelope again at my son's wild game feed at school. It was really good this time. No supper strong sage or wild game taste.