Another brassica fail

Point very well taken which was sort of the reason I started this post because I felt like I was at the point where I may just need to work on building soil for a few years before trying to do anything. I am probably going to start another thread about my situation. I've tried not to be the 158th person to start a thread on throw and mow and have been reading the thread page by page. I have a few things that are specific to me that I am just having a hard time getting my head around.
Start a land tour thread if you haven't already. And don't over complicate things. Plenty of time for that years down the road. I still stand by my initial opinion after looking at your photos. Those 3 week old small brassicas were in a prime position to take off with the urea you broadcast. BUT the winter rye you added came in thick crowding the brassicas and likely using up some of the N. As 4wanderingeyes mentioned above, Labor Day (give or take a week) is a great time to overseed with rye.

Agree.
Sometimes we plotters get in our minds something inappropriate for the conditions. Whether its soil quality, moisture, sunlight, weed issues, herd density or growing zone...we don't always plant what's best for a long term plan. We get tunnel vision and try to force a square peg in a round hole.
Regardless, our number 1 concern should be soil health, soil development and soil protection. After that is accomplished, every thing else becomes easier and of higher quality.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Point very well taken which was sort of the reason I started this post because I felt like I was at the point where I may just need to work on building soil for a few years before trying to do anything. I am probably going to start another thread about my situation. I've tried not to be the 158th person to start a thread on throw and mow and have been reading the thread page by page. I have a few things that are specific to me that I am just having a hard time getting my head around.
I think you are on the right track with wanting to develop soil and there are better or worse choices in which varieties you plant.
Its not a secret that I advocate the SmartMix calculator on the Green Cover Seed site. I love that thing.
It will ask for certain parameters of your specific situation (zip code, planting methods, etc) and it also asks you to declare 3 goals...soil building, erosion control, lasting residue are just some of the choices. And then it rates and allows you to choose from dozens of different seed varieties based on your goals. And then calculates mix ratios. It also shows varieties that are not recommended. SmartMix is very useful and a bit addictive. You can spend hours playing on it.
It doesn't however ask about specific site conditions (your shale for example) so you will have to read a little more about perspective varieties before making your choices. It also calculates pounds per acre and gives the cost to ship it to your door.
SmartMix calculator should be one of everyone's cyber tools.

Agree.
Sometimes we plotters get in our minds something inappropriate for the conditions. Whether its soil quality, moisture, sunlight, weed issues, herd density or growing zone...we don't always plant what's best for a long term plan. We get tunnel vision and try to force a square peg in a round hole.
Regardless, our number 1 concern should be soil health, soil development and soil protection. After that is accomplished, every thing else becomes easier and of higher quality.

I think you are on the right track with wanting to develop soil and there are better or worse choices in which varieties you plant.
Its not a secret that I advocate the SmartMix calculator on the Green Cover Seed site. I love that thing.
It will ask for certain parameters of your specific situation (zip code, planting methods, etc) and it also asks you to declare 3 goals...soil building, erosion control, lasting residue are just some of the choices. And then it rates and allows you to choose from dozens of different seed varieties based on your goals. And then calculates mix ratios. It also shows varieties that are not recommended. SmartMix is very useful and a bit addictive. You can spend hours playing on it.
It doesn't however ask about specific site conditions (your shale for example) so you will have to read a little more about perspective varieties before making your choices. It also calculates pounds per acre and gives the cost to ship it to your door.
SmartMix calculator should be one of everyone's cyber tools.

That’s a nifty source there. I’ll have to play around with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk