American Plum?

One of those last 2 pics is chickisaw or sandhill plum and the last one looks like blackberry
I doubt Chickasaw plum could survive a MN winter.

One of those last 2 pics is chickisaw or sandhill plum and the last one looks like blackberry
Are you referring to my pics? This is American Plum issued by the local NRCS office as part of a number of CRP—5 row shelterbelts.

I doubt they issued any other Plum varieties?

American plums are just a cool shrub/small tree that I plant every year. With a cage and weed mat they grow really well. Have found very few growing wild on my place; they flowered but did not fruit last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a recent pic of the plums snickering and forming a thicket. You can see the original large plums I planted in back. Every stem you see in front are plums that root suckered or may have seeded themselves.

Attachments

• 0301221001.jpg
    0301221001.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 0301220959.jpg
    0301220959.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 40
Here is a recent pic of the plums snickering and forming a thicket. You can see the original large plums I planted in back. Every stem you see in front are plums that root suckered or may have seeded themselves.
That looks great!

that looks awesome! did you have to do anything to spread them or did the suckers do that themselves..i planted 3 chickasaws last year as a screen and they didnt grow much except the 1 already put out a sucker that was 1.5 feet tall (the plums on grew to like 2 feet)

Do you consider the suckering a good thing, or a bad thing? I am looking to create some cover, and food, so from an outsider without any of these, I think it is good, but some people online hate the stuff.

I have a bunch of MDC american plums set in 2012 as seedlings. We tubed them all and they did well. By year four a few were fruiting, and by year 5 some were heavily.
20170916_123754.jpg
My Kentucky soil is heavy clay and quite wet where these are planted. I haven't checked ph lately. They don't seem to anchor really well as a couple of the larger ones tipped over in wind storms ~years 7 & 9. But they are part of a plot screen so I didn't try to prop them back up and they have continued to fruit and sucker. I've left them in tubes and haven't knocked down competition right around them so they didn't sucker much for a number of years but are now. Fruit varies in color, is small (nickel sized or a bit bigger) with a big pit, not really tasty to me, but the critters keep them vacuumed up while they are dropping in August/September.
20170916_123750.jpg

20190810_072647.jpg

We have some native plums that show up along edges, creek bottoms, etc. They have a bit larger fruit, less brightly colored, but better taste; they don't produce nearly so many plums as the MDC stuff though. I've not noticed major deer browse on them.

that looks awesome! did you have to do anything to spread them or did the suckers do that themselves..i planted 3 chickasaws last year as a screen and they didnt grow much except the 1 already put out a sucker that was 1.5 feet tall (the plums on grew to like 2 feet)
I didn't do anything. They just shot up by themselves.

Do you consider the suckering a good thing, or a bad thing? I am looking to create some cover, and food, so from an outsider without any of these, I think it is good, but some people online hate the stuff.
I consider it a good thing. Less for me to buy and plant. They definitely will provide cover. As far as bedding, I'm not sure it might actually be to thick. It wouldn't take much to cut some if you wanted to make pockets.

thats great! I know my soil isnt the greatest there and it gets at least a half a days worth of sun so I was wondering why it hadnt done better...now I know it was probably just throwing suckers

I have a bunch of MDC american plums set in 2012 as seedlings. We tubed them all and they did well. By year four a few were fruiting, and by year 5 some were heavily.
View attachment 41599
My Kentucky soil is heavy clay and quite wet where these are planted. I haven't checked ph lately. They don't seem to anchor really well as a couple of the larger ones tipped over in wind storms ~years 7 & 9. But they are part of a plot screen so I didn't try to prop them back up and they have continued to fruit and sucker. I've left them in tubes and haven't knocked down competition right around them so they didn't sucker much for a number of years but are now. Fruit varies in color, is small (nickel sized or a bit bigger) with a big pit, not really tasty to me, but the critters keep them vacuumed up while they are dropping in August/September.
View attachment 41600

View attachment 41601

We have some native plums that show up along edges, creek bottoms, etc. They have a bit larger fruit, less brightly colored, but better taste; they don't produce nearly so many plums as the MDC stuff though. I've not noticed major deer browse on them.
Those are some pretty trees. I second everything you have observed. I had a guy bring me some wild plums at work one day. They were about as big as a 50 cent piece and mostly yellow in color. I couldn't wait for mine to fruit. When they did I thought they were terrible. The animals thought they were great they made heavy trails to them.

I consider it a good thing. Less for me to buy and plant. They definitely will provide cover. As far as bedding, I'm not sure it might actually be to thick. It wouldn't take much to cut some if you wanted to make pockets.
Unless its thorny, I've yet to ever see cover to thick. My preferred bedding areas are cattails. Show me something thicker than cattails?

Unless its thorny, I've yet to ever see cover to thick. My preferred bedding areas are cattails. Show me something thicker than cattails?
They are very thorny. The branches also grow every which way. They cross each other and intertwine. I'm sure a buck will find a way thru in a spot or two, but most of it would be like going thru a 10ft high barbwire fence. I wish I had cattails on my land, they sure hold the deer.

My sandhills are really thick so I am going to tree spade some openings,I have put cameras way back in little openings and had pics of deer,raccoons possums and all kinds of birds

heres my sandhill plums,at least 1 of about 10 patches

Attachments

• sandplums.jpg
    sandplums.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 33

i consider it a good thing as well

I use them to subdivide a large 6 acre food plot

Sandhill/chickasaw have worked well for screen,cover, and food for wildlife here

bill