American chestnuts

b116757

5 year old buck +
I got my hands on a couple dozen American chestnuts for next spring. I can’t decide if I should start them in pots or just plant them tube them and see how they fair on their own. I’d never seen American chestnuts before very small compared to the Chinese I’m more familiar with. Maybe I’ll get lucky and not have chestnut blight issues but I’m not holding my breath on that.

The easiest option I’ve went with for American chestnuts is tube and plant on their permanent site.

They like full morning sun and afternoon shade. I look for northern red oaks in my area to confirm a good site to plant them on.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I an happier with the Dunstan's I direct seeded than the ones I started in grow bags and transplanted.

"I see that many members are looking for pure wild type American chestnut nuts to plant. The NY chapter of TACF distributes nuts to people free of charge, so that people can have pure wild type American trees to cross with the Darling 58, when it is approved for distribution.
If you send me an email with a viable mailing address I will put you on my list to be offered nuts in the spring, when they start to germinate. I usually limit the nuts to 10/planter, unless you have other people or places to plant. Planting more in one place just increases the chance that one of the trees will get the blight and then it will spread to all the other trees, just like any other disease.
We are interested in restoring a pure wild type American chestnut back into the forest so we do not want to have people crossing the blight resistant Darling 58 with any non-American chestnuts when it is approved for distribution."
fajknichols.75@gmail.com
We encourage everyone to join the NY chapter of TACF if not already a member of another state chapter.
Thanks, Allen Nichols
President, NY-TACF

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbi...mJNC4Q4YgPIReTbZVAQ_onS8UsRGAJRn&__tn__=*bH-R
For anyone wanting some American Chestnuts for "mother trees" before the darling 58 strain is approved, this fella offers up some free nuts (10) while supplies last. He sends a few emails describing how to plant and cross pollinate once the genetically altered trees are distributed. These trees are not blight resistant and will all eventually die but their hope is to get resistant nuts before they go.