Amazing response to sun

deepsleep

5 year old buck +
When I purchased my property, there was a row of black cherry trees near the house that eventually became the dividing line between 2 small yard food plots. Over time, thanks to many on this forum, I decided a few dozen apple trees weren't enough fun, and I wanted to add some Dunstans as well. Eventually, I had added apples in the near plot, and chestnuts in the far plot. I decided that my trees would never amount to much with the cherry trees using all the water and collecting all of the sun. In the most difficult habitat decision to date, i mowed them down May 2014. As an added bonus, we had discovered an apple tree the size of your wrist in between the 3 cherries on the left of the screen. My assumption was that it was an American Crabapple like the one on the right side of the picture.

Here, you can actually see the tree, and how tightly packed in it is. It is on the far right here.

Well, I can't find a picture from last summer after cutting that row of yard trees down, but I remember seeing that apple a few times and marveling over how fast it was growing. I thought I would probably topwork it, but didn't have enough confidence this year, so it got a stay of execution this spring. Well, here are a few photos of what it turned into. It had no spray, so the apples are insect damaged, but the foliage looks pretty decent. The apples are pretty large, and the deer are starting to pick the low ones. The higher ones haven't started to fall. I went from cutting this tree off to produce something else to considering propagating this one. I don't have any zoomed out pics, but the tree is close to 20 feet tall now. It is the most dramatic response to sun I have ever seen.

Yup. Just can't believe this thing went from a thick twig to a big, loaded tree in 2 growing seasons. Really makes me wonder how long it was trapped between those 3 cherries. I also have another on on the other side of the yard between 2 cherries. Those will go this winter.

I posted on another thread about an old ( 40 yr. + ) apple tree in some pines at our camp. Last winter - 2013/2014 - we cut pines down around it and got some good sun to it. It hadn't produced apples in some years, but with a year's worth of sun, it's hanging full of apples this summer !!

We have had a few out in the woods which were big trees that started producing when given light, but I've never had one that looked like a 4 or 5 year old tree turn into a 15 or 20 year old tree in a season. I wish I had taken pictures of it step by step. The main reason I didn't is because I was a little sick to my stomach after cutting down that row of cherries. That was part of the landscape and part of the view from the master bedroom. I'm happy about it now though. Orchard trees are doing a lot better and legumes are doing a lot better. I may put a row of switch in there at some point.

Do you still think this is an Am. crabapple? Fruit seems larger than I'd expect?

Nope, not even close. This is actually a full sized apple. The Am. Crab is ripe now. This apple is not ripe yet and I'm not sure when it will start to drop. The deer are eating the low hangers but nothing is dropping yet. It is also very clean whereas the Am. crab gets bad CAR. The Am Crab is also more dwarfed. Had it been a year later after I've proven I can topwork a tree, this apple would have had Liberty scions on it instead of all those unknown apples. Glad I waited, could be a really nice deer apple. Here's the one I thought was the parent, for reference. It was taken before the tree got ravaged by CAR, but it does every year (and keeps producing)

Good info, this is why I warn guys all the time to keep apples out of woodlots. U might plant an apple 20 feet from mature trees in an opening. In 20 years which direction do u think those mature trees are growing?

No doubt the surrounding trees must be kept at bay. ^^^^^ The more room - the better.

If you are southern enough, I think persimmons would be decent choice for a clearing. Low maintenance and they can get tall enough to compete for light long after an apple is shaded. However, it is not as well established what to plant and how long it will take to get fruit. Same idea with planting some "timber" type hybrid chestnuts and see if any tall enough to survive.

As a follow up, I checked out this tree about 10 days ago. The apples turned a golden color and tasted much like a more flavorful Golden Delicious. Interestingly, although 90% of the fruit had dropped, the remaining fruit was at varying stages of ripeness, so I think this is one of those apples that ripens over several weeks. The deer sure liked them and they continue to check around the tree. I will probably give this tree at least minimal spraying next year to see how it would fare as a human apple. I may also graft one just to have an extra as I think it is an apple worth keeping.

^^^^If you felt a need to ship a scion to MN...I could help you out :D

If I get up there at the right time, I'd be happy to. I know you are a big fan of Grimes Golden, and after I bit into this apple I thought Hmmm, I wonder if this is anything like GG. Definitely a wild tree, though.

I planted a Grimes based on your love of them 2 years ago. The funny thing about this tree is that it is 30 yards from the American Crab posted earlier in this thread as well. Those American Crabs, despite being also called "Sweet Crabapple," are nearly inedible to humans. The deer, of course, don't seem to mind and eat both. These trees are visible from the house and my dad watched a doe on multiple occasions bring her fawns to the American Crab and drop her fawns off. She would then proceed over to this golden apple to chow down while her fawns ate at the other tree. We found this pretty interesting as it became a daily routine for a couple of weeks.

^^^cool to be able to observe stuff like that. I'm sure deer are just like us, some like one thing, others like something else.

We found it interesting mom didn't take the little ones to the "good" tree. Kept those all for herself! Here is a pic I snapped of this tree on September 20. Maybe 10% of fruit remains. Too early for hunting over, but a good apple for early fall. btw, Stu, I am leaving today for a trip to DC and VA. The plan is to hit up some orchards along the way. I am hoping to maybe try a Grimes if they are ready yet.