all around best food plot for the woods

Shad DeBoor

A good 3 year old buck
Im looking to clear out about a 1/2 acre in my timber and was wondering what was the best seed ideas to spread out in a lower light wooded area? Its going to be a bow and maybe late winter stand. Im new to this and just looking for help.

Thanks in advance.

Winter rye and white clover(if your soil is good) would work well in a first time woods plot. Get a soil test first thing once it is cleared and follow the recommendations.

Winter rye and white clover(if your soil is good) would work well in a first time woods plot. Get a soil test first thing once it is cleared and follow the recommendations.

I was planning on clover, rye and a brassica mixture..

Yep! WR and clover form the base for all of my small plots. It would probably help to know your location. Durana works very well for me as a clover choice but that can be location dependent. I find it slow to establish but once established it is very persistent, drought tolerant, and handles shade pretty well.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep! WR and clover form the base for all of my small plots. It would probably help to know your location. Durana works very well for me as a clover choice but that can be location dependent. I find it slow to establish but once established it is very persistent, drought tolerant, and handles shade pretty well.

Thanks,

Jack
Sorry! my land is in New Boston, Missouri a little north west of Macon.

Depending on when you get the plot cleared if it's late spring early summer you could plant some buckwheat and oats and then terminate it in late summer and go like whip said with a rye clover and I'd also throw some radishes and oats in it.

Depending on when you get the plot cleared if it's late spring early summer you could plant some buckwheat and oats and then terminate it in late summer and go like whip said with a rye clover and I'd also throw some radishes and oats in it.
Im getting ready to get it cleared here with in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

If possible to the SW to SE side of the plot do some hinging to open up just a touch more light too and provide brows at deer level...your plot and deer will thank you.

The WR/Clover/Chicory mix (even oats some) is our go to for less than desirable light spots.

Sorry! my land is in New Boston, Missouri a little north west of Macon.

You Selsor's Buddy?

Sure am... He told me to get in touch with ya!!
Send me a pm. I will do what ever you need.

Send me a pm. I will do what ever you need.
Ok.. I will have to figure out how to do that.. I thought I did the first time but Selsor said no never received it.. LOL.
Thank man!!

I'm another fellow Missouri guy. My land is in Crawford County. Like you I'm a newbie too. I had very good luck with a first attempt on about an acres worth of shaded trails this year using a mix of 50 lbs of Rye, 50 lbs of Oats, 5 lbs Ground hog radish, 6 lbs of medium red clover and 4 lbs of ladino white clover. I sprayed, mowed, resprayed, and then Labor Day weekend I disced, spread cereal grains, cultipacked, spread radishes and clovers and cultipacked again. All with an ATV and walk behind brush mower

With only one years experience I can say the oats, Rye and clover did very well in spite of me and I think they were for me the best choice. Simple is good. The radishes did okay but with no real soil amendments and too much shade they were limited.

This year I've already done soil tests and am awaiting those results. I know I need more light too.

My advice would be keep it simple, don't over complicate things by biting off more than you can chew, but also be as thorough as your limitations allow. And Have fun with it while you learn!

If you live near Jordan I thought I'd throw out some travel info.

If you got an old vehicle you can park it the Kirksville airport free. $49 one way from St. Louis to Kirksville on Cape Air. Probably not much more $ than driving and only an hour instead of 4. 3 flights a day.

I'm another fellow Missouri guy. My land is in Crawford County. Like you I'm a newbie too. I had very good luck with a first attempt on about an acres worth of shaded trails this year using a mix of 50 lbs of Rye, 50 lbs of Oats, 5 lbs Ground hog radish, 6 lbs of medium red clover and 4 lbs of ladino white clover. I sprayed, mowed, resprayed, and then Labor Day weekend I disced, spread cereal grains, cultipacked, spread radishes and clovers and cultipacked again. All with an ATV and walk behind brush mower

With only one years experience I can say the oats, Rye and clover did very well in spite of me and I think they were for me the best choice. Simple is good. The radishes did okay but with no real soil amendments and too much shade they were limited.

This year I've already done soil tests and am awaiting those results. I know I need more light too.

My advice would be keep it simple, don't over complicate things by biting off more than you can chew, but also be as thorough as your limitations allow. And Have fun with it while you learn!
Thanks for the input!!

If you live near Jordan I thought I'd throw out some travel info.

If you got an old vehicle you can park it the Kirksville airport free. $49 one way from St. Louis to Kirksville on Cape Air. Probably not much more $ than driving and only an hour instead of 4. 3 flights a day.
Thanks... Im going to look into that.