Ag vs crp

So I ended up deciding to implant the plans we drew up with some customization that I couldn’t have done under the plans.

I’ll do some crp equivalent work about 40 wide on my field edges and leave my crop rental in place. There are also a couple pockets where the farmer doesn’t get much yield that I’ll put in my native plan. In the woods I’ll use their tsi plan, but not sign up for the associated cost share.

Ultimately my decision was not based on any negative experience or feelings towards nrcs and especially the guy I worked with. He was and is great. They’ll continue on providing technical assistance including a forester at no charge and then I’ll customize that.

My reason for not going into the program was simply I belive if I take their money (our tax money) I have to follow the rules- and I didn’t want those constraints. So I’ll continue to work with them and appreciate their help but not enroll.

So I ended up deciding to implant the plans we drew up with some customization that I couldn’t have done under the plans.

I’ll do some crp equivalent work about 40 wide on my field edges and leave my crop rental in place. There are also a couple pockets where the farmer doesn’t get much yield that I’ll put in my native plan. In the woods I’ll use their tsi plan, but not sign up for the associated cost share.

Ultimately my decision was not based on any negative experience or feelings towards nrcs and especially the guy I worked with. He was and is great. They’ll continue on providing technical assistance including a forester at no charge and then I’ll customize that.

My reason for not going into the program was simply I belive if I take their money (our tax money) I have to follow the rules- and I didn’t want those constraints. So I’ll continue to work with them and appreciate their help but not enroll.

30 years ago, I did sign for a wetland restoration program. It went ok and I had to follow their rules for keeping so many acres in grasses. That land now has spruce on the upper edges adjoining the crop land with tag alders and scattered spruce below that. The other side of the restored wetland has willows and a single or double row of mostly apple crabs.

I hated the requirement to burn every three years as I felt it destroyed cover.

I have signed for no programs since on the land where I live.

I like to do things the way I want to do them.

I also fear that CRP May result in losing ag property tax exemptions.

Some changes in property tax definitions have led to farmers clearing some wooded areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk