Ag vs crp

DRG3

5 year old buck +
Hello, I’d appreciate some thoughts and considerations as I’m thinking about whether to leave Some of my land in ag production was r move it to crp. I met with a biologist from NRCS a few days ago about an overall plan for my 52 acres. Current 22 is in row crop production and 30 is wooded.
I like having ag for the food sources but also like the overall habitat benefits of CRP
I’ll also be managing the timber as well. I dislike a 10 year commitment. The money is fine in either scenario.

It really comes down to which option makes my land better for deer and especially turkey.

I’m in western Ky and I have they only ag for about a square mile. But my land is more of a destination than a residence.

Curious to hear from anyone else who currently leases or is in crp and especially anyone who has moved f from one to the other

Thanks in advance

What CRP program?Some allow for food plots.I am guessing you are just thinking about putting ag in it.One thing to keep in mind is with some of the new rules in the grass programs I found out after I renewed a wetland contract was that now forbs are required and all the ones planted 10 years ago have either drowned out or were choked out by the NWSG.So I had to spend 400.00 for seed to reseed and then they would inspect every 2 years and then I would have to reseed then if they were gone.It was a stupid rule as they will get choked out and a wetland holds water part time.It cost me 115.00 to buy my way back out after being in it for 3 days after renewal.You will also find out it all depends on if you can get the NRCS agent to do anything.I have had almost every CRP program and have made decent money over last 15 years.I only have about 20 acres of CP33 in now and I have left all that I started with.Just double check the rules.I would find out how much you can take out of ag and the farmer still rent.You will make 3x farming than CRP

Thanks for that. They did tell me I can do 10% in food plots. So 2.2 acres in plots. The rate they are telling me for crp is slightly more than I am getting for the cash rent. Not enough to put one over the other. It’s close to a wash so I’m really looking at all the other factors.

If you dislike a 10-year commitment stay out of CRP. I'm not saying its a bad thing -in fact it might be good - the 10-year commitment means you exchange whatever you want to do in regard to habitat for establishment incentives and annual rental payments. That is, if your land qualifies.

I went with a 15 year commitment when I went into CREP and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish they would allow me to add another 15 years when it expires. It turned my land into a deer paradise in hunting season. But keep in mind that for this to happen you must put in a tallgrass prairie (Switch, Big Blue, Indian and taller forbs) rather than a shortgrass prairie in order to get the kind of cover that draws and holds deer in the fall.

For turkeys the CRP isn't likely to help much and could even hurt. Turkeys won't enter thick cover, because it's too easy for them to get ambushed. I mow areas for them in early spring, and they do enter these areas, but there is really nothing about CREP (or CRP) that draws them there. After about June, I won't get another turkey picture until the following spring when I mow again for them. Turkeys relate to their roosting sites more than anything else, and there is very little you can do in a short time period to influence that.

PS - Since you are in Western KY, look at Roundstone Seed if you do the CRP. You are close enough to them that their seed will be "ecotype" for your area. You can also talk to them about your goals and they can help. Good luck.

PVR1OV3.jpg

DnZPnS5.jpg

280AWcN.jpg

nWJ1MF5.jpg

Last edited:
How many acres are you currently putting in food plots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way to drastically improve your deer hunting is to find the limiting factor in your area and provide it in ample amounts. Sounds to me like food would be the limiting factor in your area if you're the only ag land for a Sq mile.

If it were me, I would keep your land in Ag crops and take a bit (maybe 10%) of it and put that into food plots. The nice thing about ag in relation to your timber is you can easily place your food plots in the best locations for access and wind directions. Long, linear plots along a wooded edge with outside screening is what I would try to accomplish.

I currently don’t have any of the land in plots right now because I have the only ag around and I’ve used it as the food source.
The turkey and the deer seem to use the ag very well. Probably better than food plots I have on other land.
There are other people who do food plots around here. I should have clarified that when I made the comment about the ag.
My goal wirh only having 50ish acres is to create the best possible habbitiat scape for turkey then deer and trust that maybe brings in more more often. I know I can’t hold them. I just want to be preferred. Or maximize habit in what I have.

I have 40 acres enrolled in crp. It’s short grass prairie. The quail love it, but the turkeys hate it. The deer do bed in it. If you do crp make sure you can plant food plots. My existing contract I can’t and I feel like it limits my potential. I’d also try going with a tall grass prairie ( then go heavy on the switch grass)

Nrcs is telling me I can have 10% food plots so 2.2 acres in this case.

Check the rules on forbs and if you have to burn and this is a big deal if you don't have the ability to burn.I like the CP33 with 120ft of NWSG around the edge of any farm field.

Read the fine print. I think it sounds like a good thing. I have about 45 acres in CRP. This will be our 3rd contract. I can do 5% food plots. If 2.2 acres isnt enough food, just dont enroll as many acres in CRP. You say you have it in ag now, but is that food plots or are they farming it all and you get whats left on the ground? I think 20 acres of Warm season grasses and 1 or 2 strategically placed plots would be WAY better than all farmed ag IMO. You can strategically plant plots to manipulate game travels so you can have plots set up specifically for deer or turkeys at certain times... plus the added habitat. If youre comfortable with the contract and have discussed EVERYTHING with them, go for it!

Similar question, perhaps a little different regional influences. Would be curious everyones input.

I have a little over 100 acres in west central Wisconsin. It is roughly a 50/50 mix of tillable and woods. Lots of fingers and edge. The general area for miles in any direction is a similar mix. I’m in a very high deer density area. It’s not uncommon to see dozens of deer in a sitting. The tillable is not ideal and prone to some erosion with the hilly topography and I don’t think it’s very productive ground in that regard. The farmer renting suggested I chat with the County Services department regarding potential programs. Met with them last week. Very helpful to understand all the programs that might be available. He also happens to be a larger scale farmer that grew up in the area and had a lot of relevant experience/intel to share with me.

Everything from planting the erosion areas in waterway strips, to CRP around the edges of the fields, to putting it all in CRP. Since only about 36 of it is rented out (few others in plots/orchards), but the time I put some into CRP, I feel like the remaining “good ground” will be so small (maybe 20 acres)? Might be hard to find someone that wants to rent it and not worth their hassle. I haven’t talked to the current farmer, but didn’t want to limit the input to just him. I was going to wait to see what the proposals look like on paper.

My question is, has anyone converted tillable into CRP in a similar situation that could share their experience? How did it impact numbers and movement? I could leave some out of CRP for larger plots, but I’m not equipped with farm equipment and would have trouble doing anything more than the few acres I already do (time and equipment restraints). It sounds like if I put it all into CRP, I would likely double the rent. That would be nice, but if it meant I messed with my hunting, it wouldn’t be worth it….

I have a CP33 buffer strip around my fields apx 120 ft deep.turkeys nest in this some and deer bed and use as a comfort zone when entering the food plots.What kind of bedding do you have in timber?Look at a aerial and find what is lacking the most say a mile from the center of your property.It's not all bad having a destination area.

Mthoulton, I think it could be very good for your farm. Again, just make sure you’ve discussed everything before you sign your contract.

If those areas are tough to farm, it may be beneficial in several ways. Also, having CRP grasses will give your land a lot more diversity. It can be great for creating access in and out of stands.

Going from ag to CRP is common here. That’s the only way you’re going to get the most money. The want “tillable or tilled” land. Lots of folks in CRP here are getting close to $300/acre because it was high production farm ground.

Just remember, you don’t have to do it all.

Mthoulton, I think it could be very good for your farm. Again, just make sure you’ve discussed everything before you sign your contract.

If those areas are tough to farm, it may be beneficial in several ways. Also, having CRP grasses will give your land a lot more diversity. It can be great for creating access in and out of stands.

Going from ag to CRP is common here. That’s the only way you’re going to get the most money. The want “tillable or tilled” land. Lots of folks in CRP here are getting close to $300/acre because it was high production farm ground.

Just remember, you don’t have to do it all.
Appreciate the feedback. For those that farm, lets say I put 15 into CRP and left the "best" farmland. That would leave 20 acres to rent out. Is marginal farmland even worth 20 acres for someones time? Assuming I could get one of the farmers that borders my property to pick it up (vs the guy that does it down comes from a ways away). Just not sure all the nuances in that...

I haven't read all of the post so maybe this has been mentioned. My thought is, figure out how many acres of food plots you want and then enter the rest into CRP. That way your plot ground isn't in the program.

On my MN properties I started withe 40 acres of tillable on my home piece and it is down to 9 acres. On my other property 3 miles from home it was 15 acres tilled and is now down to 7. In both cases I have nearby farmers who have no problem continuing to rent the land. Just find the guys who farm next door or across the road and rent it to them, they will already have their equipment right there and be happy to farm your land.

Nrcs is telling me I can have 10% food plots so 2.2 acres in this case.

I would have them write it directly into your specific contract with approval specific to the recorded land description. I wouldn't trust the NRCS as far as i could throw a stone. They are staffed by eco-terrorists who will find every reason they can to not allow you todo food plot.

On our WRP land when I owned it, they advertised 5% in food plots. The catch was you had to get a conditional use permit from them. That permit was reviewed and in one case, was denied for a year because an endangered purple bellied newt was discovered 2 miles away. The second time they denied their position was that because the surrounding non-WRP farm land had high available food source, WRP food plots were reduced or denied.

When i sold my property the food plot permit had been renewed and was good for 10 years. For the new owner, the NRCS denied the permit because the permit was in my name not his.