Advice on CAR outbreak

Telemark

5 year old buck +
There has been a massive outbreak of CAR in the neighborhood. I saw it on one of my newly planted trees, so i looked around at the junipers, and sure enough there are dozens of the dreaded orange octopus within 100 yards of my trees. I have cut down the ones i could get at with loppers. I will chainsaw a few more tomorrow. But many of them are on land I don't have permission to cut trees on. But I do have permission to go on that land, and no one cares about juniper trees.

So how should i deal with the ones i can't cut? And what should i smear on the ones i do cut in order to kill them?

I thought about spraying the fungus with bleach. I can't get Gly here, but tomorrow i will check what herbicides are available.

Any and all advice is welcome.

The challenge is that you would have to deal with juniper trees within a mile radius (maybe even more) to have a dramatic impact. Rather than trying to control junipers in such a large area, it usually makes more sense to do one of two things (1) choose apple varieties that are resistant to CAR and/or (2) spray apple trees with a fungicide each spring to prevent establishment of the fungus. For apple trees already established that are CAR susceptible, spraying may be your only reasonable option.

The difference in CAR resistance between different apple cultivars is amazing - like daylight versus dark. I only have one variety that is highly susceptible to CAR, and it has never produced an apple for me (I don't spray); however, other resistant trees nearby produce good crops every year.

The following link is a good one for you to read:
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/cedar-apple-rusts

Best wishes.

Burn it all down. BURN IT ALL DOWN!

(Hey, you asked for "any and all advice". That being said, I don't know of any way to stop CAR except by removing all infected evergreens and burning the diseased limbs.) Thank God I don't having any known within miles of me.

Reactions: Rit
The challenge is that you would have to deal with juniper trees within a mile radius (maybe even more) to have a dramatic impact. Rather than trying to control junipers in such a large area, it usually makes more sense to do one of two things (1) choose apple varieties that are resistant to CAR and/or (2) spray apple trees with a fungicide each spring to prevent establishment of the fungus. For apple trees already established that are CAR susceptible, spraying may be your only reasonable option.

The difference in CAR resistance between different apple cultivars is amazing - like daylight versus dark. I only have one variety that is highly susceptible to CAR, and it has never produced an apple for me (I don't spray); however, other resistant trees nearby produce good crops every year.

The following link is a good one for you to read:
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/cedar-apple-rusts

Best wishes.

I'm not opposed to spraying, but i would probably have to wait til next spring to import fungicide from the US. Can i use the same fungicide on the junipers?

I'm not opposed to killing all junipers within a mile either. I just can't chainsaw them. Is there a chemical solution, or should i buy a Silkie Zubat?

I'm not opposed to spraying, but i would probably have to wait til next spring to import fungicide from the US. Can i use the same fungicide on the junipers?

I'm not opposed to killing all junipers within a mile either. I just can't chainsaw them. Is there a chemical solution, or should i buy a Silkie Zubat?

Some of the "spraying folks" on here can better advise you on fungicides. Silkie Zubat sounds like a sock hop dance from the sixties to me. I have 6 chainsaws, so I'm not qualified to answer that question either. Good luck.

Some of the "spraying folks" on here can better advise you on fungicides. Silkie Zubat sounds like a sock hop dance from the sixties to me. I have 6 chainsaws, so I'm not qualified to answer that question either. Good luck.

Thanks. Only one apple tree is infected so far. The others seem to be resistant. Selection here is limited til I can import some scions. I should be able to get some from Holland next year and from the US a few years later.

When you cut down a cedar/juniper, do you treat it with chemicals, or does it just die from being cut?

Burn it all down. BURN IT ALL DOWN!

(Hey, you asked for "any and all advice". That being said, I don't know of any way to stop CAR except by removing all infected evergreens and burning the diseased limbs.) Thank God I don't having any known within miles of me.

Do I really have to burn them? I actually have a trench full of logs and brush to burn, but it's a LOT of juniper branches to drag over there. If that's the only way to do it, I guess I'll start dragging tomorrow morning.

Thanks. Only one apple tree is infected so far. The others seem to be resistant. Selection here is limited til I can import some scions. I should be able to get some from Holland next year and from the US a few years later.

When you cut down a cedar/juniper, do you treat it with chemicals, or does it just die from being cut?

The tree that is a host for CAR in my area is Eastern Red Cedar. It will come back from the roots when cut, and that is true of most trees. Stump treating with uncut gly generally takes care of about any tree I want to kill. Just a small amount spread evenly over the stump is what I do.