Actual temp vs. windchill

chummer

5 year old buck +
Do trees feel the windchill? We are going to be -40 windchill next couple days. Does that put zone 4 trees in danger or is it just the actual temp? Actual temp will be -10 to -25

I'd say it does matter. I know I feel the wind chill when it cuts in deep on a cold blustery day.

How much snow pack is around your trees Chummer? That should help them quite a bit.
Just under 3'.

That snow should help them then.

Wooduck,

You were correct. The bad news is wind combined with cold temps can damage trees.
http://cals.arizona.edu/mohave/master_gardeners/kingman/articles/frostorfreeze.pdf
Very interesting article. Makes me wonder if my pears suffered die back from the duration of time below freezing instead of the actual temps. No better this year, I just counted, we have had 4 days above freezing since Christmas.

We certainly have the no warm up part down.

With 3' of snow on the ground I would think you are sitting in a good position for riding out the cold snap. Trees still pull water during the winter, even though it is at much much lower levels than during the growing season. Chances are you have a ground temperature of 31-32 degrees at the soil surface with all that insulation on top. Trunk damage should be a non issue with that much snow as well. They'll be fine.

The way the weather's been from Va. north thru New England states, we're gonna get a test of hardiness for our fruit trees. ( compared to what we usually have temp.-wise ) I hope everyone's trees make it O.K.