A plot mystery and moral support for brassica plotters.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
First, look at this photo of WGF Milo. It was all drilled the same day with a Great Plains three point no till drill. At the end of each row I picked the drill up turned around and drilled the next pass in the opposite direction. Just like the old timers use to do with a tricycle front end tractor (push in on one brake and turn it around on a dime). I should have taken the photo a month ago because you could see it better then. But, look closely at the center of the pick you will see a strip that is not as tall as the passes on either side. For some unknown reason I drilled in 9 -13 rows (not sure how many are on that particular drill) in one direction and those rows never got more than a few feet tall. Then on the rows going the other direction the milo got 2 -3 feet taller. So every other pass is 3 feet tall and the passes on either side are 6 feet tall. Explain that?

IMG_4560.JPG

Next for those of you plating a mixture of brassicas, is it just me or is there a huge variance in germination times? I planted 10 two acre plots all the same day with a no-till drill. Fertilized them all the same and they all got the same rain. There is no rhyme nor reason as to where they have germinated in the fields or when the germinated. I had some popping up in three days and it has been two weeks now and other spots in the same row have yet to germinate. The mixture had 6 different brassicas in it and I am sure some have different germination times. Last night I got to the farm late, ran out to look at some fields and thought I was going to have to replant. This morning I looked and it seems a lot better. I think patients is the key with brassicas, but dang it gets me every year!

I have no clue on your milo. As to brassica germination rates, I've got some that are 6 inches tall and some that have just popped up in the last couple of days. And that's true of all 3 varieties i put in. Mine is a throw and mow; I would expect more consistency from your drilled planting.

Barndog,

Mine is similar. I really don't know, but would think it takes quite a bit of moisture to cause initial germination of Brassicas. But, I can tell you a drill is not more consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't have a clue why the size differance. When I planted WGF sorghum I blocked off every other row. Maybe some are to close together.

Bill,

I have drilled WGF on two previous years and it was all fine and consistent. And, if the rows were too close it would be the same on both passes I would think. It really isn't the rows. It is the passes. The passes I planted going east are tall and the passes I planted coming back west are all short. It is really strange.

A question or two...
1. At the end of the row, you picked-up the drill and set it back down after the turn? (sorry - I see you said you did)
2.. Did it all germinate at the same time and then exhibit height difference?
3. Or did the taller stuff germinate first and the shorter stuff later?

Brassicas have a relatively hard seed coat and that inhibits moisture uptake which controls germination. And/or, you have the same problem with your brassicas you do with your milo. My first reaction to both issues is inconsistent planting depth and/or seed count.

Dan,

1. Yes, at the end of the row I picked it up and set it down after the turn. It was planted behind a new six series Deere. The depth is identical every time.

2. It all germinated at the same time, and it then exhibited height differences. If it were in different areas of the field I would understand that more. But it is literally every other pass. It really doesn't matter because I really just planted it to keep weeds down and give the deer a treat.

As for the brassicas, I don't know. I think they are going to be fine. If it were seed count or row depth I would think there would be some consistency. The brassicas are more likely due to differences in field conditions in my opinion. These are long narrow plots and some get light better on one side versus the other and some have a little more moisture is areas.

It's pretty obvious the milo was effected by a UFO heading from east to west. It doesn't happen very often, as the UFO must pass by within 8 hours of planting.

Now you know.

-John

I bet one side of your drill is dumping more seed and they are closer together.Don't know about forage milo but regular milo it will stunt for sure if too close or not enough fertilizer.Did you plant for birds or screen?

Maybe how fertilizer was spread?

So I'm no farmer and have been around drills, but not really gotten my hands dirty with one but as I understand it a drill simply meters the seed out of the hopper and then it falls as it may into the various feed tubes. As such the seed "sloshing" around in the hopper after these hard turns could impact seeding rate. I know some farmers have moved away from drilling beans because of irregular planting issues with drills and instead have gone to planters specifically designed for beans to ensure a more consistent planting rate per row and better overall planting population control. Just a thought......

No clue, but it is similar to the phenomena of production ag corn fields.

How you can tell right to the line of the planter pass because the corn appears to be a different shade of color.

All planted at the same time, but appears different, now that doesn't explain the height difference, but still weird.

No clue, but it is similar to the phenomena of production ag corn fields.

How you can tell right to the line of the planter pass because the corn appears to be a different shade of color.

All planted at the same time, but appears different, now that doesn't explain the height difference, but still weird.

I saw a field like that this spring. So I asked the farmer who planted it. He said he had 2 different types of seed in his planter.

The field looked like 2 different planters had gone side by side. One was much more green than the other.

It's pretty obvious the milo was effected by a UFO heading from east to west. It doesn't happen very often, as the UFO must pass by within 8 hours of planting.

Now you know.

-John

I was about to say "Sasquatch" but WTNUT is too far north

bill

Maybe how fertilizer was spread?

Fertilizer was spread with a large ag spreader behind the tractor. Probably spread 10 tons that day all together. Had to have been pretty uniform.

I was about to say "Sasquatch" but WTNUT is too far north

bill

I am just going with this one and calling it a day!