All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A buck for Grandpa

gunther89

5 year old buck +
November 7th is always a special day for me. Not only is it one of the best days to hunt, it was also my grandpa's birthday. He passed away last October and he was the person who lit the fire in me when it came to deer hunting. Well Saturday November 7th found me hunting in the best spot on the farm. It's the thickest nastiest area and normally bucks will take does into this area to breed. Well around 9:45 in the morning, I had a doe go trotting through and kept looking back. Soon I could hear grunting and soon a 2 year old 8 pointer popped out mouth wide open dogging her. He pushed her into the brush behind me. Less than a minute later, 2 small bucks come through grunting and 1 was even growling at the doe. I was kinda shocked that no mature buck was with them. As I was thinking this, a hear more grunting and see a 3 year old 8 coming right at me. I grabbed my bow, grunted to have him stop at 10 yard and double lunged him. He went 30 yards and fell over. At this point I about lost it. I couldn't help but think about my grandpa and how it was his birthday. I'm sure he was sitting next to me 20 feet up that tree.

Congrats nice story !

Congrats! Good buck and great story about your grandpa.

Grand dad would be proud. Well done.

Sent from my 8g phone.

Congratulations on a great deer and wonderful tribute to your grandpa. That's special right there!

Nice mature JC buck there gunther. I love the story that goes with it as well. I cut my teeth on hunting with those old timers in JC and I can say that most of the ones I met from my family and others were true woodsmen and really knew their stuff!

Congrats!

Congrats. Sounds like an unbelievable hunt!

Nice story and deer, congrats.