72” rows to make space for fall seeding

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
A48B952E-A6B0-4380-8B76-19689B5CBFBC.jpegJust wanted to share what I’ve been doing for a couple years. We double the corn rate and have 2 corn plates and 2 bean plates on the planter. This gives acceptable rates for the corn and beans and allows for a good amount of light and space to overseed rye and brassica for the fall, to kind of get a good smorgasbord going in one plot.

Damn good idea! Great combo of all three!!

I like that approach ... how do you overseed when corn gets tall?

If I had a drill that is basically what I would do.

I have done a similar thing with my 2 row planter (on 36" centers). Corn in one hopper beans in the other. I set the planter up for the corn since it seems to be far more sensitive than the beans. I then run so I have 2 rows of corn, 2 rows of beans....and then when the time comes I use a hand held broadcast seeder to spread brassica and cereal grains over the bean areas. It looks goofy and it can make fertilizing a little tricky (because the corn loves the nitrogen, but the beans could care less)....but just use RR seed and you are good to go. I adjust my row width to a little narrower due to the stance of my tractor tires so I am not running over crops when spraying. But it's just to feed deer so it doesn't have to be pretty....

I like that approach ... how do you overseed when corn gets tall?
I didn’t do it myself last year but I believe they did it before it was too tall. Not sure if they had to hold the seeder up high, just let it hit the leaves, or cranked real slow to narrow the area of application

3123454C-1C38-47EC-A7E8-8C12C5EA4552.jpegCouple pics from last fall, just over seeded rye7AEFE9E0-EC36-4E5F-B7F9-8FC6C0E3FBAB.jpeg

Did the beans make much for pods? Hart to tell from the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a no-till drill, I got a similar effect, but less corn by mixing corn and beans in the seed bin at a 1:7 ratio by weight. I was including the corn for structure in the beans, rather than winter carbs since I'm far enough south that summer is the primary stress period. This density allowed sufficient room for broadcasting WR/CC/PTT mix for fall after the beans yellowed. With that light mix of corn, I was able to get cobs without adding additional N.

I think if I were up north and wanted corn for winter stress, I'd go with your method.

Thanks,

Jack

Some nice travel corridors in there too!

View attachment 35662Just wanted to share what I’ve been doing for a couple years. We double the corn rate and have 2 corn plates and 2 bean plates on the planter. This gives acceptable rates for the corn and beans and allows for a good amount of light and space to overseed rye and brassica for the fall, to kind of get a good smorgasbord going in one plot.
How are you not ending up doubling up on the corn or bean rows when you turn around? Or do you only lower the planter one direction?

I believe he is doubling up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18989B44-0349-4737-A6C9-1417D0B49DB7.jpeg2A2A12DD-5F28-4DDB-A1E7-CCCDA93307A5.jpeg81D53296-0E16-4842-ADFE-D95CCB89964B.jpeg
Some update pics, worked pretty good this year. The brassica that were overseeded are popping, but it does seem like the deer walked the rows and bit the tips of a lot of corn cobs 969073BC-F313-4ADD-BDA8-5BA8CA6207EC.jpeg

What is your hunting strategy with all that vertical cover? Seems it would be hard to hunt it..

For bow I set up where they come into the field, as well as a narrow clover strip runs the edge of the rows. During gun you can sit back across the valley and shoot into it for the most part or as they approach

Those wide rows of corn have shown to yield really well due to more of the plant getting light. There's some neat work out there where guys are testing 60" rows. There are also some that do strips the width of the combine. when they yield test the individual rows, the outside row had the highest, then the second from the outside, and then once in the middle, yields fell back to normal.