All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd party hosting notice, photobucket.........

Can you upload videos from your phone using Tapatalk?

Can you upload videos from your phone using Tapatalk?
That's how I do it. Once I got Tapatalk I gave up on photobucket completely and pretty much quit posting on forums that don't have Tapatalk. Photobucket was just too slow with all of their adds and pop-ups. I hated spending time waiting on uploading pics instead of actually making posts.

Almost relieved to quit using it as it had become so junky / trashed by ads I found it intolerable.

One quick question for anyone in the know... I used photobucket for a few of my earliest posts on this site and when I checked them out, the photos still show? Why? Is there a date when they'll quit working or should the links already have been broken? Just wondering how much time I have to figure out a solution.

Heck, maybe they're just showing for me because of stored cache files or something (though tried cleaning cache and they still show)... here's one such link that's relatively photo heavy.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/my-florida-destiny.5996/

PhotoBucket can't be the only photo hosting site can they? I'm positive I've seen posters on other forums using sites other than PhotoBucket. No I have not googled it.. :) Anyone have firsthand experience other than the mentioned Smugmug?

Just deleted my account...thanks for the heads-up.

Bye Felicia.

Last edited:
Almost relieved to quit using it as it had become so junky / trashed by ads I found it intolerable.

One quick question for anyone in the know... I used photobucket for a few of my earliest posts on this site and when I checked them out, the photos still show? Why? Is there a date when they'll quit working or should the links already have been broken? Just wondering how much time I have to figure out a solution.

Heck, maybe they're just showing for me because of stored cache files or something (though tried cleaning cache and they still show)... here's one such link that's relatively photo heavy.

I have used photobucket to post some of my pics, but not a ton. They are still showing in my threads also and I've never given them a dime...:emoji_confused:

Same here, Bueller... never given them a dime so not sure why I'm still seeing pictures in the threads where I've posted them?

Do you have Tapatalk host the videos?

It says this forum doesn't support this format. Do you want Tapatalk to host? (Everyone can download)

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

This really sucks!!!!!!!

Also a good reminder to save you really want to save. I don't use a photo sharing service but post my photos to this site and let Habitat Talk host it. Originals photos are still on my hard drive and backed up to google photos but without the context of whatever I was posting. For my Project W thread, I initially started saving posts as I did them but that didn't last long. So I just use the print function in the Chrome browser to print out each page of that thread. Now I have 8 pdfs, 1 for each page, that has everything I posted, text and photos, along with comments.

I have used photobucket to post some of my pics, but not a ton. They are still showing in my threads also and I've never given them a dime...:emoji_confused:

I think it is because of how you posted them. When you use the "direct link" which I always have, your picture shows up in the forum as a picture only. There is no link and thus no benefit to Photobucket. I've been slowly replacing my links with my new private photo server links and they are embedded the same way. It is simply a direct URL that the forum wraps the image qualifiers around. So when you click on my pictures nothing happens.

There are several ways to insert a photobucket picture. The one you used (not sure which) includes a link with the picture that goes back to your photobucket page. Thus, when someone clicks your picture, they are sent to your photobucket page. Photobucket benefits from attracting eyes to their site (their adds, new users, etc.) so you can do this with the free account. They don't consider it purely 3rd party hosting since it is linked to them.

Folks could probably continue to use this method, but who knows for how long and the overhead of all the adds and scripts they run on your computer have made me decide to stop using it.

Thanks,

Jack

My Photobucket is still working fine, but over the last three days I have created accounts on 3 others to test them. They are:

• Imgur
  • Google Photos
  • Flickr
Here is what I have found:

• Flickr just seems difficult to use. I didn't like it much.
  • On Imgur the only way I could find to upload new photos was going to the bottom of the ones already loaded and clicking the upload link found there. That is not difficult if you have only a few pictures, but if you had hundreds, it would be a pain to have to scroll that much in order to upload new. I couldn't find a way to change this, but there may be a way. Very irritating, but otherwise works pretty well.
  • I downloaded the I-phone apps for all three and have no trouble uploading pics from the I-phone with all but Flickr. But, I cannot post a pic to a forum from the I-phone with any of them. It is no problem at all posting a pic from the PC, but the I-phone apps don't have the same features as the web site. I suppose a person could just go to the web site via Safari rather than the App on the I-phone. That should work, but I haven't done that yet.
  • Of the three, I find Google Photos the easiest to use. If I have to change to something else, that will be the one I use.

Why not use tapatalk? I don't see an advantage to using a hosting site when I can just touch a button on my phone to show you guys a pic. It stays saved on my SD card and should never be lost no matter what happens to the internet or forums. Very easy and safe...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Testing tapatalk

aa4fae3d9bd7e2270774442c4a010cb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always a chance I'm going to write something here and appear to be - well, you pick the descriptions! LOL!

I don't get the whole string of stuff going on here. I don't use Photobucket. That makes me naive. For better or worse.

I looked at Photobucket and, yes, they will charge you nearly $400 for 500 Gigabytes of storage. How much storage do you need? As a rule of thumb 500GB stores approximately 100,000 digital photos taken with a 6-megapixel camera.
You might burn that much space if you are uploading full resolution photos, the kind you might take if you wanted an image on a billboard (he said in jest just to make a point).

Again, I'd didn't go too deep but I'd guess a site like Photobucket has an option to reduce photos to some acceptable resolution. If viewing on a computer screen is all you want a 300 kb resolution pic is plenty. For $400 a year, you can store 1-million-six-hundred-and-sixty-six-thousand 300 kb pictures (if I got my math right).

Photobucket offers 2 GB for free (with ads). Again, if I do my math correctly free gets you 6-thousand+ 300kb pictures. Anyhow, after all that I will tell you I use Google....for free. Unlimited storage for reduced resolution photos. If you want to keep full resolution you'll be back in the pay-for-storage market.

Maybe I misunderstand the whole thing!

There's always a chance I'm going to write something here and appear to be - well, you pick the descriptions! LOL!

I don't get the whole string of stuff going on here. I don't use Photobucket. That makes me naive. For better or worse.

I looked at Photobucket and, yes, they will charge you nearly $400 for 500 Gigabytes of storage. How much storage do you need? As a rule of thumb 500GB stores approximately 100,000 digital photos taken with a 6-megapixel camera.
You might burn that much space if you are uploading full resolution photos, the kind you might take if you wanted an image on a billboard (he said in jest just to make a point).

Again, I'd didn't go too deep but I'd guess a site like Photobucket has an option to reduce photos to some acceptable resolution. If viewing on a computer screen is all you want a 300 kb resolution pic is plenty. For $400 a year, you can store 1-million-six-hundred-and-sixty-six-thousand 300 kb pictures (if I got my math right).

Photobucket offers 2 GB for free (with ads). Again, if I do my math correctly free gets you 6-thousand+ 300kb pictures. Anyhow, after all that I will tell you I use Google....for free. Unlimited storage for reduced resolution photos. If you want to keep full resolution you'll be back in the pay-for-storage market.

Maybe I misunderstand the whole thing!

Photobucket just removed what they call 3rd party hosting from free accounts. That means if you uploaded pictures to photobucket over the years and included direct links to them in forums like this, instead of your picture showing up, a photobucket placeholder now shows up. The photos are all still there on photobucket, but the pictures no longer show up in the forums where you want them.

Anytime we use a free service like this, we should understand, we have a higher chance of losing it than a paid service, but those can go away too. That is why I decided to build my own. I own the domain name so I can move it to any server I like. Photobucket does downsize large pictures. You will notice that the pictures where I have replaced my photobucket links with links to my new photoserver are now full size.

Thanks,

Jack

Why not use tapatalk? I don't see an advantage to using a hosting site when I can just touch a button on my phone to show you guys a pic. It stays saved on my SD card and should never be lost no matter what happens to the internet or forums. Very easy and safe...

I like to use pictures in conjunction with text. Often I'm writing a post and I want to insert a couple pictures in the post to make certain things more clear. I don't know about you, but my ability to type text on a cell phone is very limited compared to my laptop keyboard. I think the tools that work best really depend on how you do things.

Thanks,

Jack

I like to use pictures in conjunction with text. Often I'm writing a post and I want to insert a couple pictures in the post to make certain things more clear. I don't know about you, but my ability to type text on a cell phone is very limited compared to my laptop keyboard. I think the tools that work best really depend on how you do things.

Thanks,

Jack
I'm same as you, would rather use a keyboard for typing. My "work around" is to post pics on tapatalk, then edit that post on the keyboard for typing. Like you said; everyone has their methods.

Yep, I also keep my pictures on my laptop rather than on the phone. I generally edit them before I post them. I'm not good at taking pictures so they are often off center and such. When I'm in the field working on trees, I'll take a picture of a tree and then a close-up of the tree tag. When I get back and upload the pictures to my laptop, I crop them and adjust them as I like and then save them in the database with the tree tag information so I can look at a tree over time. Also, it is easy to forget to turn off GPS tags when taking pictures and sometimes I want them. For example, I may want them on my laptop or my private web site where I can map the pictures with goggle maps. I don't want gps tags in say a harvest picture posted to a public forum where it just provides information to poachers.

When I use photoshop elements to crop and adjust pictures, I have the option of using the save-as jpeg or save-for-web. The first retains the metadata and the second does not. So, depending on how I use the picture, I can decided whether or not to keep the metadata in the picture.

I'm not sure how Tapatalk works. I don't know if they keep the pictures on there server and post a link in the forum or if they upload the picture to the forum with the post. I don't know if they strip or use the metadata. And, like photobucket, who knows when any company you are not paying will make your data disappear.

As I said, everyone has their own process. I think your tapatalk workaround will work well for some folks.

Thanks,

Jack

native hunter, On the iphone, do you have an option to go the the desktop site for full features? I know I do that often on my non iphone, and get better functionality that way. sure it involves a lot of zooming in, but everything on the pc, is visible on the phone that way.