20v Dewalt Chainsaw for Hinge Cutting

A buddy of mine works for an electric Coop with a Trimming business, they are trying these. The specs on These units is impressive.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Outdoor-Power-Equipment/Chainsaws/2727-21HD
That thing weighs almost 14 pounds. Lugging that thing around all day would be a chore. I wonder if that is with or without the battery?

I also have a 20” stihl. That thing is awfully heavy. I use that thing at it just wears me out. I don’t use it unless I have to.

This thread really got me thinking. Thanks for starting it. Years ago, I had my trusty stihl chainsaw stolen. I ended up buying a new one and it sucked. The new carbs that are required for cleaner air along with new e-gas was a real problem. Maybe they have solved them now, but when I bought my last new gas stihl, it was so bad, I got rid of it and bought a used old 028 on ebay. It runs like a champ.

Having said that, I'm no longer cutting firewood or doing lots of heavy chainsaw work. I generally use mine to trim or take down a tree or too that are problematic or to cut up trees that have fallen across our ATV trails. As I get older, safety becomes more important, or at least I'm valuing it more. I like some of the safety features on the electrics. The way I use a chainsaw, It is nice not to have to carry gas or mess with a saw when it gets finicky on occasion.

So, I decided to take the plunge. I took a look at what is out there and how I'll use it. I'm still using the old 18.5v dewalt tools so I don't have 20v batteries. After looking at some of the reviews and videos and stuff, I decided to order the 40 Volt Dewalt with a 7.5 ah battery.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack it’s good you no longer do much chainsaw work. That puppy is almost 20 pounds.

I hope it works out for you. I’d cry with having to lug that thing around with as much cutting as I do. You guys that get these things it would be nice to hear how they work out for you after you spend some time using them.

Jack it’s good you no longer do much chainsaw work. That puppy is almost 20 pounds.

I hope it works out for you. I’d cry with having to lug that thing around with as much cutting as I do. You guys that get these things it would be nice to hear how they work out for you after you spend some time using them.

I'll let you know how it works. If you read my post, you'll see I don't really use a chain saw like I used to. I think you got the weight wrong. I believe it is under 15 lbs with the battery. I can report back when I get it. I don't plan to lug it around. For my use, it will be in my ATV or UTV as I work on the farm. I'm basically making a few cuts to open a trail or taking down a problematic tree and cutting into fairly large sections that I can move with my FEL. The old days of full day chainsaw work are long in my rear view mirror.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
The newer MS 201 TC-M saw that I bought runs like a boss. Maybe I was lucky but zero carb issues on this saw. I can easily cut through large diameter trees even though it only has a 14” chain. This saw handles all my duties except for the biggest of trees which I don’t cut to much anymore. It is a top handled arborist saw and worth every dollar in my eyes. It weighs in at only 8 pounds so I can run this thing all day and not have the arm fatigue like you get with bigger saws.

I personally couldn’t get an electric saw but that’s just me. I imagine as the batteries age the lack of cutting time would become a source of aggravation. At least I know with my gas saw that the level of fuel doesn’t dictate cutting power. I wonder on these electric saws as the battery level goes down if there is a noticeable loss of power?

I have not seen that reported in any of the reviews. My guess is that the power remains flat until the very end of the battery charge and then it may drop, but my gas saw does that as well. As I run out of gas the power level varies. When it starts to lose power, I know it is time to refill the fuel tank. There are things I like conceptually about both. I won't give up my old 028. In addition to some of the safety features, I like the low noise level. I got the 40V because of the battery life. I will wear out long before the battery does and I take longer to recharge than those batteries.

I'll report back when I have a chance to use it.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm very interested in the reviews on these electric saws also. Last summer I spent time ring cutting locus trees and spraying. The amount of time spent re-starting my saw was astronomical! Something that ran just at the pull of the trigger would be great for something like that.

I'll let you know how it works. If you read my post, you'll see I don't really use a chain saw like I used to. I think you got the weight wrong. I believe it is under 15 lbs with the battery. I can report back when I get it. I don't plan to lug it around. For my use, it will be in my ATV or UTV as I work on the farm. I'm basically making a few cuts to open a trail or taking down a problematic tree and cutting into fairly large sections that I can move with my FEL. The old days of full day chainsaw work are long on my rear view miller.

Thanks,

Jack
If you read my post I said good thing you don’t use a chainsaw much which would indicate that I read your post and understood that.

I might have been wrong on weight I just googled Dewalt 40v electric chainsaw and looked at the specs. That particular saw was almost 20 pounds. Could very well be that you didn’t purchase that saw. Shame on me.

I have used them, and they do serve a niche, but logging isnt one of them. For a habitat guy they would probably work great, for a guy that is cutting fire wood, I would stick with gas. If you are looking to cut down, or hinge a couple hundred 6 inch or less trees a weekend a year, it would shine. The trail cutting, hinging, and other smaller tedious stuff, they work great on. Stuff where you are doing more walking, and looking up, then cutting, they work great. No need to let idle, or stop and restart.

Dont buy it if you are planning on cutting down, and cutting up trees on a regular basis, you will be disappointing.

I'm very interested in the reviews on these electric saws also. Last summer I spent time ring cutting locus trees and spraying. The amount of time spent re-starting my saw was astronomical! Something that ran just at the pull of the trigger would be great for something like that.

One of the things I use mine for is a variation of hack and squirt. For large diameter trees that I want to kill, I'll cut a ring around the tree well through the cambium layer and paint the ring with gly. This works better than hack and squirt on large trees and the gly keeps the stump from resprouting. I'm sometimes cutting small stuff to get to the trunk. The variable speed trigger should be good for the small stuff where you don't need the saw running at full speed.

Thanks,

Jack

If you read my post I said good thing you don’t use a chainsaw much which would indicate that I read your post and understood that.

I might have been wrong on weight I just googled Dewalt 40v electric chainsaw and looked at the specs. That particular saw was almost 20 pounds. Could very well be that you didn’t purchase that saw. Shame on me.

I could be wrong on weight too. The particular one I ordered was DCCS690X1 with a 7.5 ah battery. Dewalt lists that model at 13.3 lbs on there site, but doesn't specify if that includes the battery. On one of the reviews I read on another forum said his was about 14.5 lbs with a battery but I'm not sure if it was the same model or not and I'm not sure if it was the same battery or not. So, I THINK it is under 15 lbs but I won't know for sure until I get it.

Thanks,

jack

I have used them, and they do serve a niche, but logging isnt one of them. For a habitat guy they would probably work great, for a guy that is cutting fire wood, I would stick with gas. If you are looking to cut down, or hinge a couple hundred 6 inch or less trees a weekend a year, it would shine. The trail cutting, hinging, and other smaller tedious stuff, they work great on. Stuff where you are doing more walking, and looking up, then cutting, they work great. No need to let idle, or stop and restart.

Dont buy it if you are planning on cutting down, and cutting up trees on a regular basis, you will be disappointing.
What kind of RPM's do they run? I know that's important for the gas saws. I'm having a hard time picturing an electric chainsaw getting the chain moving real fast.

I am not sure of the actual rpm, but cutting a tree 6 inches or less, I would say the electric saw is as fast, if not faster to cut through it. It certainly is a cool feeling when you can buzz through a 6 inch tree without the saw making engine noise.

I am not sure of the actual rpm, but cutting a tree 6 inches or less, I would say the electric saw is as fast, if not faster to cut through it. It certainly is a cool feeling when you can buzz through a 6 inch tree without the saw making engine noise.
Very cool. Thanks for your time!

My 70yr old dad just bought the battery powered Stihl and loves it. He likes the light weight feel and no pulling to start it, works great on the smaller stuff

I have all of the green works electric saws and am very happy. Pile saw, 10” and 16”. I have a blower, trimmer and mower as well so I have plenty of batteries.

1 of my seed guys has a Stihl battery saw. Not sure which model, but he loves it. He's an ex army Ranger, so he could toy with any saw he wanted. I like my 192 a lot. It's probably less than a lb lighter than the 201, and a lot less powerful. Next small saw will be the 201. I'd also consider a dewalt if I had an abundance of batteries, but I only have a few. Trying not to get too stocked up because I want to make the switch to M Fuel at some point.

I’ve only seen a battery one used once. It did the job. I have the farm boss by Stihl also. I use it for everything. I like having he extra power. I’m in good shape and don’t have the age on me that you may have so the tired factor isn’t an issue. I’ll be adding a smaller Stihl this season for Limbing Tree iut that get felled as well as hinging smaller trees.

I’d say try and see if there’s possibly a place (even if it’s a rental) that you can try it for the day before you make your decision

This last summer I bought a DR field mower so every so often I get a DR catalog. Yesterday I received one and they have a bunch of battery operated tools in there including a chainsaw, it seems everyone is making battery tools these days. I've been thinking of trying a battery chainsaw for lighter habitat work.

I'm curious as to how long the batteries last and what replacement costs are. I can run a gas powered saw for decades with little upkeep costs. I would hate to get something that's going to need $150 worth of batteries every year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to how long the batteries last and what replacement costs are. I can run a gas powered saw for decades with little upkeep costs. I would hate to get something that's going to need $150 worth of batteries every year.

Good question. With the saw I got, the battery costs more than the rest of the saw!

Stihl claims 80% charge after 500 charges. With their biggest saw (MSA 200) that's 375 hours of run time. I'd think you would spend much more on gas even if you did choose to buy a new battery every year.