20v Dewalt Chainsaw for Hinge Cutting

I've got a bunch of the 18v Ryobi batteries. I use the the 18v tools, a bunch of them. I know the 18v ryobi is a tiny little thing, but I'm thinking about picking one up since I've already got the batteries. Reviews are mixed on this little saw. And, I wonder if I'd get just as much done with my silky. The batteries are the expensive part. I've got several of the 6 amp hour batteries. I use them with a construction light even to light the cabin at night.

I think I'll give this little saw a try. If it's not useful for anything else, it'll be fine around the house taking off a limb here or there. I think it'd be tits to have it on the ATV though.

I was getting files today for sharpening my chains and I stopped at the Stihl store. I was less than impressed with the stock batteries on the few models I looked at. I don’t recall the model but one 16” saw I looked at had a run time of 17 minutes per charge. I thought for sure that was a misprint.

The worker confirmed that on the Stihl models the stock batteries are not that good but I could always upgrade. I didn’t ask how much the batteries were but you would want at least 2.

He then showed me a Milwaukee battery operated saw and it claimed 150 cuts per charge. I think that was a 12.0 amp hour battery. That seemed way better than what Stihl was offering with their saws.

The 6Ah Ryobi batteries go about $100 at the Home Depot. $$$. But man do they work.

I was getting files today for sharpening my chains and I stopped at the Stihl store. I was less than impressed with the stock batteries on the few models I looked at. I don’t recall the model but one 16” saw I looked at had a run time of 17 minutes per charge. I thought for sure that was a misprint.

The worker confirmed that on the Stihl models the stock batteries are not that good but I could always upgrade. I didn’t ask how much the batteries were but you would want at least 2.

He then showed me a Milwaukee battery operated saw and it claimed 150 cuts per charge. I think that was a 12.0 amp hour battery. That seemed way better than what Stihl was offering with their saws.

The recommended batteries for the top end STIHL battery saws are $170. The run time is 45 minutes with the 200 and 50 minutes with the 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason a battery operated reciprocating saw wouldn't do the same small stuff we are talking about using an electric chainsaw for?
309bce13f0b20efb74556a9d7e6c1deb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It would take quite a while to get thorough a 10 or 12 inch log with one of those. I've used a wrench to pound nails when pressed, but it's no hammer. I have the 18.5 volt version of that saw. It works great for a lot of construction tasks, bit I wouldn't try to fell a tree with it.

It would take quite a while to get thorough a 10 or 12 inch log with one of those. I've used a wrench to pound nails when pressed, but it's no hammer. I have the 18.5 volt version of that saw. It works great for a lot of construction tasks, bit I wouldn't try to fell a tree with it.
I wouldn't either... but I wouldn't buy an electric chainsaw with felling trees in mind either. The bigger stuff gets gas power.
How would the reciprocating saw work for ringing a tree to spray?

Last edited:
I would either... but I wouldn't buy an electric chainsaw with felling trees in mind either. The bigger stuff gets gas power.

I would either... but I wouldn't buy an electric chainsaw with felling trees in mind either. The bigger stuff gets gas power.

I don’t think it would be worth the effort. Reciprocating saws bounce a lot when you first start the cut. I’m sure it’s doable on smooth bark trees but I think there are much better options.

I would not try felling a 20" tree with an electric chain saw, but I've seen videos of guys felling 10 to 12 inch trees, bucking them, cutting them into firewood sized sections all on a single battery charge. I would not plan to use an electric to go cut firewood all day either. My 028 can cover both of those tasks well.

For my purposes, carrying it around on my ATV as I work. Cutting up pines that have cross ATV trails because an ice storm or to hot of a controlled burn killed them or even cutting up hardwoods that have fallen into fields. Also, for trimming along the edge of fields so branches don't smack my tractor. One could use a sawzall to right trees, but again, it is not the right tool for the job.

I don't think electric chainsaws are close to being full replacements for gas chainsaws, but I think from what I've seen on-line that they have come far enough to fill a niche well. I judged that they will be a good fit for my use, but who knows, I 've been wrong before and will be wrong again. I won't know until I receive mine and get a chance to try it out.

I have a large oak that fell across one of my fields during hunting season. It is way larger than 95% of what I'll use a chainsaw for. It will be a good stress test or the electric. I'll take my 028 as well to finish the job if needed.

Thanks,

Jack

I've used my Makita reciprocating saw on occasion around the house to cut up limbs for firepit or pruning old lilacs. It works but not efficient like a chainsaw. Battery life isn't the best either.

"sawz-alls" are pretty lousy at cutting. At least in my experience. They get the job done, but waste as much energy as they use. The saw moves as much as the blade does. If the saw is moving it isn't cutting.

-John

I have two electric chainsaws, one of them being a 40V pole saw with a smaller bar and chain. I also have the Stihl MS150 arborist gas saw with a 12" bar. The ~6 lb weight of the Stihl makes it my go-to for limbing, hinge-cutting, and taking care of vines. I can use it all day with no fatigue. The electric saws allow my wife to help me without my having to worry about her overly much. But the electric saws weigh enough that she has a tough time using them for very long. If I had to choose a single saw it would be the Stihl, hands down. The battery powered pole saw is fantastic for hard to reach stuff and very useful for trimming lanes on stands. The electric chainsaw is a luxury and more useful at home than in the woods, although if I didn't have the Stihl I would likely use it more for the same tasks. Battery wise, I run electric on my hedge trimmers, leaf blower, etc...and even with interchangable batteries running everything, including the pole saw, I'm still on the originals from three years ago. Lithium batteries don't draw down like normal batteries, so you have full power right up until they're dry. I don't look forward to the $ of replacing them, but for now they perform without noticable difference from when they were new.

I have two electric chainsaws, one of them being a 40V pole saw with a smaller bar and chain. I also have the Stihl MS150 arborist gas saw with a 12" bar. The ~6 lb weight of the Stihl makes it my go-to for limbing, hinge-cutting, and taking care of vines. I can use it all day with no fatigue. The electric saws allow my wife to help me without my having to worry about her overly much. But the electric saws weigh enough that she has a tough time using them for very long. If I had to choose a single saw it would be the Stihl, hands down. The battery powered pole saw is fantastic for hard to reach stuff and very useful for trimming lanes on stands. The electric chainsaw is a luxury and more useful at home than in the woods, although if I didn't have the Stihl I would likely use it more for the same tasks. Battery wise, I run electric on my hedge trimmers, leaf blower, etc...and even with interchangable batteries running everything, including the pole saw, I'm still on the originals from three years ago. Lithium batteries don't draw down like normal batteries, so you have full power right up until they're dry. I don't look forward to the $ of replacing them, but for now they perform without noticable difference from when they were new.
Thanks for the input. 3yrs on a battery is great! If they last for much longer you won't be able to buy replacements... tech moves fast enough that they will be obsolete (which means you got your money's worth). I would feel pretty comfortable buying a tool knowing it's batteries would last 3-5yrs.