2023 deer season regrets…

While it was a great season overall, I regret not hunting the corn field...When it was harvested, some amazing bucks came out.

IMG_7034.jpeg
IMG_3080.jpeg

This is what I am talking about. We have more of these type five year old deer than we do five year old 140” deer. We let several of these deer walk when these are the perfect deer to be removing from the herd. There is a lesson to be taught here. If you kill these deer, you may even be helping your “trophy” deer. Also, if you kill this deer one morning, you may have forfeited your chance to kill that big deer, letting him get a year older

On the other hand, leave the deer below to see what he becomes. You can have your cake and eat it too, in this world

IMG_0153.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 61469
View attachment 61470

This is what I am talking about. We have more of these type five year old deer than we do five year old 140” deer. We let several of these deer walk when these are the perfect deer to be removing from the herd. There is a lesson to be taught here. If you kill these deer, you may even be helping your “trophy” deer. Also, if you kill this deer one morning, you may have forfeited your chance to kill that big deer, letting him get a year older

On the other hand, leave the deer below to see what he becomes. You can have your cake and eat it too, in this world

View attachment 61471

We eased from hunting Big Antlers only to hunting mature bucks a few years ago. If it looks 4 or 5 it's on the list, unless it looks like it could become "THE Deer" in another year. Gotta have something to hunt.

Need to dig up a pic but I let a cool buck walk with a bow. Probably shouldn't have. I thought he was 4 until I laid eyes on him in early November at 10 yards. Then I thought he might only be 3 and would be even cooler next year. Haven't seen or gotten a pic since late November and he was on camera at least twice a week all year. I hope it was a happy neighbor and not a road hunter, death by fighting, or a car.

Last edited:
The bit of wisdom, "Never pass up on the first day what you would shoot on the last day" hits home after the season.

I've started living by that. It makes me a lot more confident in my decisions. I don't really have regrets about what I shoot or let walk anymore.

We eased from hunting Big Antlers only to hunting mature bucks a few years ago. If it looks 4 or 5 it's on the list, unless it looks like it could become "THE Deer" in another year. Gotta have something to hunt.

That was our approach this year. We have 3 lists:
- Target bucks for family — 3 shooters this year (two were booners).
- No Shooter List — all 1 and 2yo, plus any 3yo that has shows really good potential.
- Management List — deformed antlers, bully bucks and 4yo or older that have less than 8pts.

Unless the hunter has never killed a deer, then everything is fair game for them. Our goal is to introduce one new person to hunting each year.

This was our first year having a management list. It gave us an opportunity to have a few other people hunt and enjoy the experience on our farm.

My regret was that we only had one encounter with any of our target bucks and not within range. However, I’m encouraged that after 3 years of owning the property, we are seeing the results of trigger restraint for the first 3 years. But it shows how much more I have to learn to hunt mature deer successfully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just my opinion.
If you want to make hunting fun again,
Ditch the cameras, don't have a "hit" list. Go sit and when you see a deer you feel like shooting, shoot it. If you don't feel it, don't shoot it. That way 0 regrets can be had.
I'm not against cameras by any means, usually put them out after season to get an account of what's left out there. But I stopped using before and during the season 3 years or so ago. I'm not a trophy hunter by any means, my issue with cameras is I check them to much, which is why I stopped putting them out. By doing so ,sightings went way up, my enjoyment went way up. I shoot what I want and allow anyone who hunts here to do the same.

How do you make Canadian bacon from deer?
I like to use that big muscle in the back ham. This is the basic recipe I use. You can add ingredients for different tastes. I usually leave mine in mix in refrigerator 5 days

IMG_0154.png

IMG_0155.png

Didn't fertilize my food plots when I should have. Beets were just greens.
Didn't see one buck that I wanted to shoot all year.
Other than that, had a blast.

1: breaking my arm in October because...Im a dumb ass
2: being too conservative with my best stand. I was afraid of burning it out and only hunted it three times the entire season. I should have burned it to the ground back in November.
3: not getting a box blind finished and moved to the NW corner for an east wind stand.

Habitat-wise- I set the trap and waited for the bucks I hadnt seen to show......and waited.....and waited.........and. At some point my dumb arse shouldve wondered about the bait on the trap. My plots struggled with drought (and potentially tons of browse).

Want to go Stoic philosopher and Confucius here on the topics of patience and expectations.

I didnt retool my stand locations after last year. The nonstop boring West winds had me sitting the bench way too much as a result.

Every year- Analysis to paralysis. When served the elephant, pick up your knife and fork only after you recognize the size of the portion and duration of the meal....and you season it with salt and pepper.

Hunting- I was supposed to leave Ohio and meet my buddies hunting IN public. That day the temps went from 50s to upper 70s. I flaked out and went home. Not only did one kill a mature stud, another hit and lost a mega. The real err here was my not joining them as we rarely see each other (some of them I hadnt seen in 3 years) and frankly it wouldve been worth it just to go can share some coffees, beer and bs with some great humans and hunters.

I have only missed one NY gun opener in 30+ years- last year and it was a blizzard with not only a driving ban, but no reason or ability to get out. From a tradition standpoint I made it out this year but pondered the idea of bowhunting in Ohio (which prime big buck time..and cams showed action looking back). Tradition is cool....but second to new traditions. I hate gun season and the drama it brings. To be forthright- it would be a regret either way, but i shouldve left.

Heres one for most of us- thinking cell cams tell us everything! They dont. We all know it.

You didnt ask...but its part of the combo meal. ....but one that went right.

I was licking my wounds from the worst season both hunting and habitat wise and my wife yelled "get out". I was venomous and it was the first week of November with prime winds and decent weather here. It was time to take my fluffy fuzzy bunny slippers off and cancel the catering for the pity party. Had the best hunt of the season. for many reasons, including a kill.

I regret not making a better shot on my target buck.Now is doe season
If one is adding missed shots to this list, I regret missing my opening weekend archery shot with my compound bow. I also regret not using the proper uncocking process on the cross bow (and $160 mistake). Unwisely, I used a discharge bolt with the wrong nock for the new cross-bow. Ouch. Still, a great season overall with kids and grandkids getting nice harvests.

I can’t say I have any regrets for ‘23 but it was the worst season I’ve ever had since owning this property(15yrs). Last winter claimed roughly 80% of our herd and an even higher percentage of bucks over 3.5.

It’s an odd dynamic to have to cope with “failure”and still find success. But I don’t look at not punching a buck tag as failing. Contrarily, I succeeded in passing deer that didn’t need to be shot.
It’s a bit frustrating to see “trophy” hunting get a bad rap. The instant gratification we seem to expect is the main culprit in my mind. I went 20 years in between bucks. Kept getting just as fired up every season. Passed hundreds of bucks in that timeframe. Never really failed.
I think about this more than I should. His answer here draws numerous parallels to hunting trophy bucks in my mind. Say what you want about the NBA, but this guy is a role model and has his head on straight.

My season by all accounts was incredibly successful. Shot my largest buck to date and passed the biggest buck I've ever passed. Herd management goals fell a little short but still had fun doing it.

Biggest regret was pushing a questionable wind on my MN target buck, got winded by a doe when he was 75 yards away and headed towards me.
Second biggest regret was not getting the kids out more with me, that is something that will change next year.

Trying to emulate the ”buffalo method” with my home food plot. Planted Green Cover Warm Season Soil Builder in the spring, using my usual lightly disc, broadcast seed and fertilizer, then drag. It came in very well, got a couple of early summer rains and it looked great, except I think it had too much brown top millet in it. Come time to plant for fall, I broadcast Green Cover Fall Release, no fertilizer, and crimped it. The crimping worked very well, but the food plot pretty well sucked. I should have fertilized it I think. I planted the same mix in my conventional way on my deer lease resulting in a great looking plot, but too many brassicas. If the deer don’t eat them I’ll get a custom mix next time and replace the brassicas with something else. Deer here don’t eat brassicas well, at least I’ve never seen it.