2019 apple crops

Didn't get good fruitset this year but my trees are all still quite young, started spring of 2015. Here are my 3 best. A Liberty, a golden hornet, and puget spice crab.

Liberty - 2015 Cummins tree on B118. First time with a decent crop in this tree. Top was tipped over so I knocked off the apples off there after the photo.View attachment 25405

Puget Spice Crab - bunches of small crabs. 3rd year tree from Cummins. Wish it would put on more wood but its on G222. Leaves tore up by Jap beetles. They really knocked my Goldrush too
View attachment 25406

Golden Hornet - a 2016 bench graft on B118. Not much branching but loaded with crabs up and down the central leader.
View attachment 25407

I love the looks of all three of these chicken. I gotta get crackin' on next years tree orders!

Rit, post #17 - I need to get some recent pix of our trees …………..... and then get someone to show me how to get the pix off the camera and onto here. My wife even tried to get them on here a few times before and they just didn't transfer. I can wire a factory, shopping mall, hospital, school, or power plant, ……… but this digital camera stuff isn't my forte. I have a whole series of pix from earlier years of the apple trees and food plots too.

Do you or the wife have a smart phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't get good fruitset this year but my trees are all still quite young, started spring of 2015. Here are my 3 best. A Liberty, a golden hornet, and puget spice crab.

Liberty - 2015 Cummins tree on B118. First time with a decent crop in this tree. Top was tipped over so I knocked off the apples off there after the photo.View attachment 25405

Puget Spice Crab - bunches of small crabs. 3rd year tree from Cummins. Wish it would put on more wood but its on G222. Leaves tore up by Jap beetles. They really knocked my Goldrush too
View attachment 25406

Golden Hornet - a 2016 bench graft on B118. Not much branching but loaded with crabs up and down the central leader.
View attachment 25407

I have a Golden Hornet that I put on dolgo rootstock and it has done great. It bloomed the first year, but I pulled the blooms off of it.

Rit, post #17 - I need to get some recent pix of our trees …………..... and then get someone to show me how to get the pix off the camera and onto here. My wife even tried to get them on here a few times before and they just didn't transfer. I can wire a factory, shopping mall, hospital, school, or power plant, ……… but this digital camera stuff isn't my forte. I have a whole series of pix from earlier years of the apple trees and food plots too.

For some reason I can not post images straight from my computer to this site. I use postimage.org to post pics here.

Two apples on a limb tacked on a flowering crab. Should I save the seed?

Open pollinated.
531c262440750f6af3bca71fc4626da7.jpg
bd485a0c036f4dcb38e36f1b2603527e.jpg

Bur, post #22 - My wife has a smart phone. I have a flip phone that's about 10 years old - & works great !! I need the flip style so I don't bust the screen on a smart phone. My line of work is too "bump & bang" prone.

Charman, post #20 - It has a card, and I can put it in the comp. slot. The problems are in the process to get the pix out of the computer and to upload here. I'm not a digital picture-techy guy. My tech knowledge lies in a different area of expertise. Cameras & computers/systems like Windows 7 or 10 are not in my play area !!! If someone with the proper knowledge SHOWS me how to get the pix on here, I can repeat the process. Then I'll have LOTS to show !!

Bows, an old smartphone would work even if you did not have a service plan for it. Take photos at the camp. When you get back home on wifi, you could post directly to this site and attach photos from your phone or, with a gmail account, have the photos backed up from the phone onto google photos and pull the images from there to post. The latter is what I usually do because it is easier for me to sort through photos on my computer using google photos.

Bur, post #22 - My wife has a smart phone. I have a flip phone that's about 10 years old - & works great !! I need the flip style so I don't bust the screen on a smart phone. My line of work is too "bump & bang" prone.

Charman, post #20 - It has a card, and I can put it in the comp. slot. The problems are in the process to get the pix out of the computer and to upload here. I'm not a digital picture-techy guy. My tech knowledge lies in a different area of expertise. Cameras & computers/systems like Windows 7 or 10 are not in my play area !!! If someone with the proper knowledge SHOWS me how to get the pix on here, I can repeat the process. Then I'll have LOTS to show !!

Screens are pretty indestructible. Get a smart phone and down load tapitalk. It is so easy. On a positive you have kept that flip phone long enough for them to come back. Maybe there is still hope for my vcr and answering machine.

View attachment 25406

View attachment 25407
I would remove the Pugat Spice Crab apples from the upper third of the tree to save the branches from damage and straighten the central leader.

Chummer, post #28 - I still have an answering machine on the land line too !!! :emoji_astonished::emoji_older_man:
Chickenlittle, post #27 - I've never had a smart phone. The older ones my family had were traded in - so no old ones laying around.

I'll try again to get the process to get pix on here.

This seedling looks decent.
c9f623adc3bdaa1bf8583d49376417a2.jpg
fb5ce24f19eb4a1b79aa7863464689c6.jpg

Some of you have seen this. Almata is getting ripe and is better with watercore.
f5fe2c331cdef4358521401104538b07.jpg

Some of you have seen this. Almata is getting ripe and is better with watercore.
f5fe2c331cdef4358521401104538b07.jpg

I am going to save a few of the open pollinated Almata seeds and see what I get.

Let the games begin. Headed down the home stretch for what will be a bumper crop of high quality Honeycrisp. We are a month away from harvest and many if the apples are softball size and starting to carry some red color. I am in the process of having a new refrigeration unit 12ft by 13ft up and running by harvest time. IMG_3660.JPGIMG_3661.JPGIMG_3671.JPGIMG_3672.JPGIMG_3673.JPGIMG_3660.JPGIMG_3661.JPGIMG_3671.JPGIMG_3672.JPGIMG_3673.JPG

I imagine the Hazen name refers to the dull haze that is on them. They polish up quite nicely.
0ebb260039280f871891fafcdb684b45.jpg

bec3c5407aa3ab1da615a98943e68388.jpg

Making applesauce is on deck for tomorrow morning. Four varieties of crabs. Chestnut, Centennial, Trailman, and Dolgo.
71280f8e71a5b37975710fe3f78bfabe.jpg

Art,
What's your process making apple sauce from crabs? Do you core them or just grind seeds and all?

Making applesauce is on deck for tomorrow morning. Four varieties of crabs. Chestnut, Centennial, Trailman, and Dolgo.
71280f8e71a5b37975710fe3f78bfabe.jpg

Art,
What's your process making apple sauce from crabs? Do you core them or just grind seeds and all?

I grind as is.
9de46d6eeb49eb21d03f2d5c5ec43751.jpg

Got’er done.