2015 rec land prices

Rakman

A good 3 year old buck
With 2015 quickly approaching what do you think prices will do in the rec land market.?

Based on my Tax statement and the general direction of the economy I would say land values are going up. There are others on here who deal in property so they will have a better idea.

I don't have enough experience to weigh in on land but I do see the econmy on the rise. I drove through a subdivision yesterday that we are thinking about building a home in an they had 8 houses under construction. An these ain't cheap houses. I was glad to see it. Allot of my buddies are in construction trade an they have been working steadily

Looks like it's going up. Rezoning mine early in the year and if the trend continues will be trying to unload mine.

Keeps going up in WI.

Just paid $3700 per ac in WI, closed the friday b4 gun season. The adjacent farm came up for sale and I didn't want to let that slip- no realtor involved.

All depends on where and what type of land it is. Sold our farm Buffalo County and bought land in Northern WI for 1/5th the price. Of course most people think we are nuts. Guess I have outgrown the Antler Obsession and can't deal with all the pressure. I am talking about property that is used primarily for hunting purposes. Any property with Ag land will depend on corn/bean, dairy and meat prices.

I've had my eye out for some land in NE SD (Like a rock ridden overgrazed pasture) with at least a wetland or a fish pond on it, as well as something along a wooded river. It's just not for sale from what I can tell.

All depends on where and what type of land it is. Sold our farm Buffalo County and bought land in Northern WI for 1/5th the price. Of course most people think we are nuts. Guess I have outgrown the Antler Obsession and can't deal with all the pressure. I am talking about property that is used primarily for hunting purposes. Any property with Ag land will depend on corn/bean, dairy and meat prices.

That is not something you see every day. However if you also got more acreage you might be very happy when things rebound up north.

There are still places with deer up north. My cousin was seeing 16, 10, etc deer a sit in vilas county.

This might be the time to buy land in an area that historically produces good deer like Douglas County. I'm seeing some stuff now under $1000 per acre.

Last edited:
Seems like if there is no income on the farm/property the value is now looking less attractive.

Wow, he must be hunting near civilization? I still see plenty of "cabin deer" in Vilas County, but once you're away from people...the deer are few and far between it appears.
Yup, part borders a golf course

However if you also got more acreage you might be very happy when things rebound up north.
Doubled the acreage. With the current low deer numbers, it has outstanding hardwood regen in the areas that were selectively cut. Just needs a little TLC and time for the deer numbers to come back and all should be good. That's the plan anyway. Right now I am not so sure it was a good move.......walked the property for 4 hours the other day and did not cut a single deer track. :eek:

Build it an they will come. Hinge cuttings, select cuttings, deer runways, plots, it will be fun.

Its all relative to what the individual hopes to gain from the land purchase. For me the new land purchase allows: additional hunting opportunities, much better access to the home farm not only for hunting, but logging and agricultural access.

I would agree that here in Buffalo the hunting pressure is ridiculous- developing coops and expanding farm footprints is my way around it!

ELH you wouldn't happen to be from Modena?

The issue in Northern Wisconsin where I deal with (Rusk, Barron, Washburn, Sawyer, Douglas Counties) and prices right now is that the market is saturated. There is so much land for sale, and not enough demand for prices to increase. It's definitely a buyers market in Northern Wisconsin, and some absolute steals can be found. A lot of properties have been for sale for years, and if someone came in and offered 60% of the asking price they probably get it. I would say we are about at the bottom of the cycle in Northern Wisconsin, and they say "buy low, sell high" this would be the time to buy in if you can find the right deal. The future definitely depends on some variables, wolf/predator populations, severe winters, etc, but if things go right and numbers come back people will start buying land again in Northern Wisconsin and prices will begin to increase. I'd be looking at it as a long term investment in Northern Wisconsin for sure, not an overnight rebound in prices.

Quality property in the sought after areas in Buffalo, Trempealeau, Eau Claire, etc counties will continue to rise because the demand is there. The calls I get on properties in these areas outnumber my Northern Wisconsin calls probably 20-1.

Quality land will continue to rise and is a hell of an investment!

The issue in Northern Wisconsin where I deal with (Rusk, Barron, Washburn, Sawyer, Douglas Counties) and prices right now is that the market is saturated. There is so much land for sale, and not enough demand for prices to increase. It's definitely a buyers market in Northern Wisconsin, and some absolute steals can be found. A lot of properties have been for sale for years, and if someone came in and offered 60% of the asking price they probably get it. I would say we are about at the bottom of the cycle in Northern Wisconsin, and they say "buy low, sell high" this would be the time to buy in if you can find the right deal. The future definitely depends on some variables, wolf/predator populations, severe winters, etc, but if things go right and numbers come back people will start buying land again in Northern Wisconsin and prices will begin to increase. I'd be looking at it as a long term investment in Northern Wisconsin for sure, not an overnight rebound in prices.

Quality property in the sought after areas in Buffalo, Trempealeau, Eau Claire, etc counties will continue to rise because the demand is there. The calls I get on properties in these areas outnumber my Northern Wisconsin calls probably 20-1.

Quality land will continue to rise and is a hell of an investment!

I've seen some prices in Northern Wisconsin and in Northern MN that look very attractive. The income could come some day from timber I suppose? Right now the hunting is not great in some of those areas and the price probably reflects. It might be a time to buy though and then hope for appreciation.

Here is a flyer Weiss Realty has put together to show the investment side of purchasing land. Not doing this as a plug, just some very cool information on the investment side of owning land, on top of the enjoyment you receive from hunting/managing a property.

Owning Your Piece of the Dream . . .

There is little or no downside to land ownership. Land will always increase in value over time. Land boasts real annual returns in the 6%-8% range (income plus land appreciation), outpacing 10-year Treasuries by three to five percentage points.

"The annual return in the last 10 years averaged slightly more than 11% total return, exceeding the stock market, corporate bonds and European equities, as well as treasury bills, and I believe the outlook for the next 10 years is a lot brighter than the last 10 years." Murray Wise, CEO of Westchester Group. Wise favors land over other investments. "The fundamentals are nothing short of extremely bullish. This is only the second demand-driven market of my lifetime."

Farmland is like gold, because there's a limited amount in the market a demand causes a jump in prices. Globally, it has appreciated at a rate 2% higher than inflation since the 1950s according to Marketwire.

They aren't making any more land. That's what makes land such a good investment, as populations grow and migrate demand for this basic commodity goes up.

"Ninety percent of all millionaires become so through owning real estate." Andrew Carnegie

"Quality land will ride out a recession. Population growth, not speculation, the flood lifting this boat, The floor under timberland is its long-term appreciation. That's why pension funds, endowments, investors and trusts are putting money into it. Quality land, bought at the right price with sensible financing, should weather a recession better than stocks and many other investment alternatives." -Curtis Seltzer, RIS Media 10/8/07

"The major fortunes in America have been made in land." John D. Rockefeller

Land investment conversion may make sense for you, especially if your portfolio has shown little or no appreciation over time. Try to take a vacation, picnic, hike or hunt on your CD, stock certificate or gold coin. As a land owner, you can touch, manage, develop and hunt your investment knowing that it should outperform corporate bonds, T-bills and the stock market over time. Can we help you own a piece of the dream? Visit our website at www.WeissChoice.com