2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

Looks like the picture didn't work.
cf417999a411ba4013737cd6dce26a67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had about (25) b118 trees that were failed grafts from the past year or two in my Nursery. I basically top worked / cleft grafted them all over the last 2 days. Lots of winter wildlife crab, Dolgo, Kerr, Galarina, Indian Magic, Mary Potter and maybe a few others. I also added a few varieties to my Frankenstein trees in my front yard. Pretty much done grafting until August when it's time to T-bud.
d31e2f1f5cd037d5516b507c0e7747d1.jpg
850ad31c22d65761ae35cc81d97fd4f5.jpg
a8efd64169003d0aebb2a7791315f1d5.jpg

Did you leave any as B118's?

I have two of those and they might be a decent wildlife tree. I can remember posts from a lady called Lois concerning B118's.

I think there are a couple. At least one 5'er.

How far along were those B118s in terms of leafing out? I regrafted some B118 root stocks that were failures from last year after they had leafed out. Absolutely none of them took. The M111s that I grafted at the same time all took. Lesson to myself at least for my area, regraft B118s when they first show life in the spring. Curious to see how yours respond.

They were fully leafed out. I did the exact same thing last year and had 90%+ success. If for some reason they fail I won't really loose any sleep, space is a premium for me, and they are taking up space and consuming resources.

Crazy Ed - Nice nursery and new top-work. I also have a couple rootstocks that grafts failed and I'll graft them next spring with some scions from some local trees.

Art - I remember that lady, Lois. From what she said, the B-118's might turn out to be good wildlife trees. I have a couple at camp I'm letting grow just to see how they turn out. No fruit yet - probably another 3 years or so for fruit.

I was kind of dumb founded when mine all failed. Especially when the M111s grafted at the same time all took! I agree on the space thing. I have refined my system a bit. Bench graft in the spring, T- bud in the failures in the fall, yank any remaining failures in the 2nd spring. I have found some root stocks just have issues and even if they take the tree seems to struggle from day one.

I was kind of dumb founded when mine all failed. Especially when the M111s grafted at the same time all took! I agree on the space thing. I have refined my system a bit. Bench graft in the spring, T- bud in the failures in the fall, yank any remaining failures in the 2nd spring. I have found some root stocks just have issues and even if they take the tree seems to struggle from day one.

Time will tell. I'll keep this thread updated =)

Some of my seedlings are the same way. Are dolgo and columbia rootstocks all seedlings?

Some of my seedlings are the same way. Are dolgo and columbia rootstocks all seedlings?
I know you can buy the Dolgo as seedlings, so I would assume those sold as root stock are seedlings as well.

It produced an apple already, HAHAHA, thats awesome!

Yesterday I found a topwork from 2015 that I had neglected. It was severely leaning and from the 25 apples on it. I think it was whitney on a seedling rootstock from a wild crab.

Hiked the park today with the dog. I noticed this tree for the first time so I tbudded a few when I got home. Decent looking yellow Crab.
79246b85581607a9f13833cba35c7ffc.jpg
38bed23803db16cd5c3954063c05aa6c.jpg

Good amount of fruit on that crab but the leaves don't look so great. Is that scab affecting the leaves? I've noticed a lot of crabs and apples hit hard by scab this summer here in NY. I started noticing a month ago how many you can see right through the tree as the leaves started dropping. Some trees look great and others look awful. The neighbor's crab looks terrible but the rootstock suckers have nice leaves.

Grafted to a few of these b.118 brooms recently.

Making 100 trees, mostly from GRIN and other varieties from my orchard/ nursery. Many varieties of crabapples.
67669308f38b96dbb656524065f57580.jpg
ca52a47c467bd62c595f773e03ca490a.jpg

Bought a few things from MDC and Coldstream this year. Can't get it in the ground due to severe weather, was supposed to plant tomorrow. Delayed 2 weeks now. Stock should be fine in cool temps, keeping it damp and above freezing. Haven't dug apples from Nursery yet.
c5ba319467559bdbc873f3d65f7a9df8.jpg
2a66258f0df2821316f1745ab97be9f0.jpg

Awesome root structure! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Matt, good to see that your still grafting a "few" trees. :emoji_relaxed: