2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

Lets get the party started!!:) Copenhaven Farms called me Thursday to see if I was still wanting mine shipped on Monday.

Love the looks of that nursery bed, hope to do something similar. How deep is it? Did you dig down before you put the raised bed or does it sit on top of the ground?

In your raised garden bed at your house how do u keep the roots from each tree free of the other trees roots. Or does that matter

Sandbur - Kerr hasn't set the world on fire for us either. It grows at a slow, steady pace it seems. It gets the same treatment as all our other apples and crabs, but isn't keeping up on growth. They're in full sun too. I guess they just take a little longer. They look healthy though - not worried.

e433b36833e0c3a49c9570e456e5ac3b.jpg

First 23 or so are done.

Liberty
Enterprise
Florina Q
Galarina
All Winter Hangover crab
Adirondack crab
Hudson's golden gem
Cox orange pippen
Anaros crab
Some old cider apple from aero

First 5 trees were cleft grafts. All but one of the rest have been whip and tongue. W&T take longer, but they seem so much more solid I prefer that method.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very nice! About the Sherry variety you mentioned earlier, seems to be something STL Nursery cooked up back in the day as I can't find much else on it.

Love the looks of that nursery bed, hope to do something similar. How deep is it? Did you dig down before you put the raised bed or does it sit on top of the ground?

I used treated 2"x12"x13'.

We have a very heavy clay base, I tried working that spot for about 6 years as a vegetable garden but the soil was just too heavy. That was even after adding sand, leaves, composted manure. Still just very heavy. It's also a low spot so when it rains it gets very saturated and stays that way a long time, when it finally does dry up its like concrete so the whole idea about the raised bed to just get above that thick stuff.

Roots are probably a bit tangled but I'll let you know when I dig up everything this week.

Now that I have more space with the second bed, my hope is I can give trees a bit more breathing room. However last year I was limited on space and just had a ton of trees. Even with limited space my trees are thriving. I'm sure roots will be fine, just gonna take my time digging them up.

Very nice! About the Sherry variety you mentioned earlier, seems to be something STL Nursery cooked up back in the day as I can't find much else on it.

Yeah, scions came from greyphase and I'm pretty sure he got it from SLN.

That's the only place I've seen Sherry mentioned too. ( SLN ) That's where I got the Sherry we have at camp. The description of " fruit hangs on the tree all winter ....... bears heavy annual crops " and is a late - ripening apple sold me. :)

I dont think Greyphase said it actually hung all winter though. If i remember correctly. Maybe he will chime in.

I'm afraid my experiences with the Sherry apple tree don't mirror the SLN description. I planted one in 2003 & one in 2005. The 2003 tree has been a favorite of the bears and has been pretty beat-up but has produced apples for the last 3-4 years. They seem to all drop by the end of Sept. The 2005 tree has yet to produce any apples. Both are on Antonovka rootstock (like all SLN trees). I started last year to rework the 2005 tree over to a late hanging apple that BnB sent me and will continue this year with some more late hanging scion that BnB sent. Will be watching in the years to come to see how Matt's & BnB's trees perform. I've had an interesting experience with a Purdy apple planted in 2001 from SLN. It is described as a late hanger but the first few years it dropped it's apples by the end of August. The interesting thing is as it matures the apples have been hanging on longer and last year had some hanging on into Nov. The main thing is the deer "gobble" both apples up as soon as they hit the ground. :) Each apple tree we plant has it's very own "microclimate" in the site that we plant it and I believe this may have some affect on it's performance. But what do I know :rolleyes:. These apple trees are teaching me something new every day.:D

You enjoying every second of it to aren't you. :)

Matt - The description of " hangs on the tree all winter .... " is from SLN's catalog. I wasn't quoting Greyphase. I have a Sherry growing, but it won't fruit for another 3 years or so at least. I'm anxious to see what it does, though. If it hangs later & later as it ages - that's OK with me. I just hope it put out lots of apples !! I want our camp ground to be like a great big candy store each fall - a place the deer can't stay away from !!!

The late-hangers that Greyphase mentioned that I sent him are proven late-hangers. They've been proving themselves for at least 30 years I've watched them. Only lately ( because of this forum ) have I snipped some scion from them to graft. Grey and I are grafting them to keep them going on into the future - they're too good to let die off. The many piles of deer droppings under those trees show that they provide all-winter drops to keep the deer coming back all winter long. There are STILL shriveled-up apples on those trees as of March 23 !!

Last edited:
Matt - The description of " hangs on the tree all winter .... " is from SLN's catalog. I wasn't quoting Greyphase. I have a Sherry growing, but it won't fruit for another 3 years or so at least. I'm anxious to see what it does, though. If it hangs later & later as it ages - that's OK with me. I just hope it put out lots of apples !! I want our camp ground to be like a great big candy store each fall - a place the deer can't stay away from !!!

The late-hangers that Greyphase mentioned that I sent him are proven late-hangers. They've been proving themselves for at least 30 years I've watched them. Only lately ( because of this forum ) have I snipped some scion from them to graft. Grey and I are grafting them to keep them going on into the future - they're too good to let die off. The many piles of deer droppings under those trees show that they provide all-winter drops to keep the deer coming back all winter long. There are STILL shriveled-up apples on those trees as of March 23 !!
Yup, understood. Hopefully it does what the SLN catalog says, and if it doesn't, it doesn't ==

I did graft that late hanging green one you sent me yesterday. That along with AWH, trailman. I did a few AWH that I got from Grey too.

I am, my wife not so much but she will be glad when the bag of sticks isn't in her fridge anymore

Thats funny, so true, I can't get rid of the sticks in my fridge for another 2 weeks as nothing is leafed out yet to graft too.

Sherry scionwood is in the Maple Valley catalog. Not much information about it. If their description matches SLN, that is maybe where they got it from. I think I got a stick from them last year but the great did not take.

Matt - I figure the same way. If it does hang thru the winter - great. If it doesn't - OK - it doesn't. Deer will eat them whenever they drop. I'll sample some too.