All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Grafting Adventures of CrazyED

CrazyED Do you have the trees is some kind of root trapping bag, or just planted in the soil? I plan on making a raised bed for the same purpose.

Just soil. I used to do 5 & 7 gallon roottrapper bags above the ground. They do work well but they are expensive and take up a lot more room. For the amount of trees I have i could never afford it and I wouldn't have enough room.

So my plans for grafting in 2016 are as follows. I have ordered 100 B.118 rootstocks from Willamette. Size is 7/16". Unit price is $1.30/ea and total is $183.60 shipped.

Thanks to my farm, my backyard nursery, and the kindness of friends on this forum, here's what I have in the fridge for scionwood. It's never easy making these kinds of choices.

Scion
#5 Crab
Adirondack Crab
Airport
All Winter Hangover Crab
Anaros
Arkansas Black
Black Oxford
Calville Blanc
Centennial Crab
Chestnut Crab
Cortland
Cox Orange Pippen
Cripps Pink
Dolgo
Enterprise
Fireside
Flemish Beauty
Florina Q
Frostbite
Galarina
Golden Hornet Crab
Goldrush
Granny Smith
Green Late Hanger
Harrison
Harvest Gold Crab
Honeycrisp
Honeygold
Hudson's Golden Gem
Hyslop
Kerr
King David
Liberty
Magenta Crab
Medaille D'on
Monster Crab
Northern Spy
Northwest Greening
Nova Scotia
Prairie Spy
Pumpkin Crab
Purdy
Redfield
Roxburry Russett
Sansa
Scarlett O'Hara
Sherry
Summercrisp
Trailman Crab
Violi's Hanging Crab
Westfield Seek No Further
Whitney Crab
Wickson Crab
Winecrisp
Winter Wildlife Crab
Wolf River
Wolf River
Yates
Zestar!

Looks like fun!! No doubt always tough to make the decision on what to graft.

Hey Matt if you have even a short stick of the Calville Blanc you could spare I would love to get a piece. The one I got from you last year from Maple Valley didn't take and were very tiny. I only want to get one graft of it if possible
Thanks

Paul

hmmm
84942433.jpg

So my plans for grafting in 2016 are as follows. I have ordered 100 B.118 rootstocks from Willamette. Size is 7/16". Unit price is $1.30/ea and total is $183.60 shipped.

Thanks to my farm, my backyard nursery, and the kindness of friends on this forum, here's what I have in the fridge for scionwood. It's never easy making these kinds of choices.

Scion
#5 Crab
Adirondack Crab
Airport
All Winter Hangover Crab
Anaros
Arkansas Black
Black Oxford
Calville Blanc
Centennial Crab
Chestnut Crab
Cortland
Cox Orange Pippen
Cripps Pink
Dolgo
Enterprise
Fireside
Flemish Beauty
Florina Q
Frostbite
Galarina
Golden Hornet Crab
Goldrush
Granny Smith
Green Late Hanger
Harrison
Harvest Gold Crab
Honeycrisp
Honeygold
Hudson's Golden Gem
Hyslop
Kerr
King David
Liberty
Magenta Crab
Medaille D'on
Monster Crab
Northern Spy
Northwest Greening
Nova Scotia
Prairie Spy
Pumpkin Crab
Purdy
Redfield
Roxburry Russett
Sansa
Scarlett O'Hara
Sherry
Summercrisp
Trailman Crab
Violi's Hanging Crab
Westfield Seek No Further
Whitney Crab
Wickson Crab
Winecrisp
Winter Wildlife Crab
Wolf River
Wolf River
Yates
Zestar!

Matt, how much land do you have designated for your orchard? How many trees are being taken from your home nursery to the field this year (just your 2 year old grafts?)?

You have quite the diversity, so exciting to see all of this.

My family has about 160 acres and our focus has been on 40 acres where fruit trees are planted. The first orchard i planted is probably 1 acre, i have another new orchard has been cleared that is about the same size. Then i have a larger field that is about 3-4 acres that will start getting some trees down the road. In general we have a lot of open space because a tornado ripped through this area of land about 20 years ago. A lot of it is re-generated as a jack pine thicket with a good mix of red oak as well. Other areas we have kept open and planted NWSG and those areas will continue to get fruit trees added.

I think I am planting between 25-30 fruit trees this spring, mostly in that new orchard mentioned above. I basically hand selected the biggest and largest trees regardless of age, however most of them selected were in that 2 year old graft class. But also to clarify, some 2 year old trees didnt make the cut.

HAHA really? Your are gonna have like a total of 6 acres in 5 years that'll be producing apples with commercial size loads. LOL! I knew you loved to graft but that is a LOT of apples, haha. I like you!

Well, like i said our focus is on 40 acres, not just 6. I can't just plant the whole place at once, so we started with 1 orchard in one area about 5-6 years ago and that worked out pretty well. Now the second one is cleared and prepped for planting, once that one is full we'll work up another area etc.

Well, like i said our focus is on 40 acres, not just 6. I can't just plant the whole place at once, so we started with 1 orchard in one area about 5-6 years ago and that worked out pretty well. Now the second one is cleared and prepped for planting, once that one is full we'll work up another area etc.

Wait so eventually you may possibly have a 40 acre working orchard. My goodness thats a LOT of deer food. HAHA! I love it though, I could look at apple stuff all day long.

If things work out I'll have 160 acres of apples =)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BV - You DID notice his handle ........ didn't you ??? 160 acres of apples !! ^^^^^ :eek::D

BV - You DID notice his handle ........ didn't you ??? 160 acres of apples !! ^^^^^ :eek::D

O yes i did, thats why hes one of the my favs, CE is an animal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go big or go home ladies! I am ready for planting season.

CameraZOOM-20150801103804626.jpg

Haha omg CE!

He wears his handle name well !!! :D

Painted the trunks of the trees being planted this spring. In past winters I have seen some southwest injury on some of my trees so last summer I painted just about everything in the ground. Way easier to paint at home, let them dry, then pop the window screen over the top. I think this should help get them through the establishment years during those tough winter days.

50% white latex paint, 50% water, + a little permethrin

CameraZOOM-20160312121336827.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822122644819.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822132323563.jpg

Painted the trunks of the trees being planted this spring. In past winters I have seen some southwest injury on some of my trees so last summer I painted just about everything in the ground. Way easier to paint at home, let them dry, then pop the window screen over the top. I think this should help get them through the establishment years during those tough winter days.

50% white latex paint, 50% water, + a little permethrin

CameraZOOM-20160312121336827.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822122644819.jpg

CameraZOOM-20150822132323563.jpg

Matt, I take that extra window screen along the right side of the tree in your picture and fold it over, then add another staple or two to hold it in place.

Have that folded over piece on the south or southwest side of the tree to provide extra shade on the trunk. Winter shade reduces sunscauld.

So a person can paint the trunks anytime of the year as long as the weather is conducive?

Man your trees are so stinkin good lookin, i hope i do better grafting this year!