2,4-D recommendations

Nova

5 year old buck +
I am pretty new to using 2,4-D and would like a little help. Which one of these is a better option for spraying food plots.amine 400.jpglv 400.jpg

Either are fine this time of year. Use whichever is cheaper. Probably the amine.

What are you spraying it on?
Just curious.

The plot right now is winter rye, but next year it will be sprayed on corn. I am trying to kill pigweed, ragweed, water hemp to name a few of the lovely gly resistant weeds.

For what its worth Nova... I sprayed Amine on my 4-6" corn last year to try and control the waterhemp and it cooked my corn. I wont do that again.

Ive switched to Liberty now and I probably wont go back to Gly. Its a little more but it works!

If you go with the LV, ill be curious to hear how it goes.

For what its worth Nova... I sprayed Amine on my 4-6" corn last year to try and control the waterhemp and it cooked my corn. I wont do that again.

Ive switched to Liberty now and I probably wont go back to Gly. Its a little more but it works!

This surprises me. I tried it on a small plot of corn this year and it did just fine. My corn was only 2-3" tall at the time. I appreciate the info! Amine is half the cost of LV that is why I am asking, but not worth it if it kills the crop.

You're probably too late to the party to be effective with either. Of course, I guess we all know 2,4-D kills broadleaf weeds and has little effect on grasses. Rye, wheat, oats are all grasses. You can hurt them with 2,4-d, but not if mix correctly.

Amines are heavy while esters tend to vaporize more readily. I know the label says lo-v -- or low volatility, but it is still more volatile than the amine. So, if you need it to say in place (more/better), use amine. That's the bad side of lo-v. It has a good side. Because of its chemical structure - which makes it more ready to take flight, it more easily breaks down the waxy leaf surface of the target plants so that absorption is more and better. The result might (might) be a better weed control/kill.

Check your mix rate. No doubt, 2,4-d will twist corn, but, unless the corn is under stress it will outgrow the effects.

This surprises me. I tried it on a small plot of corn this year and it did just fine. My corn was only 2-3" tall at the time. I appreciate the info! Amine is half the cost of LV that is why I am asking, but not worth it if it kills the crop.

Amine is probably less likely to kill your crops than LV ester. Warm weather can increase this risk.