1/4 acre native species controlled burn at my residence.

makinprairie

A good 3 year old buck
Fall of 2019 I planted a 1/4 acea of dry mesic prairie species in my back yard. Fun project that draws in a lot of pollinators, bird species etc.

It was actually due for a controlled burn already last spring but being this is my first ever prescribed burn and it is right next to my house I was nervous and hesitant.

I assembled an experienced burn crew, applied for and received a special burn permit that is required by the Wi DNR. This last Saturday evening conditions were good and the burn crew was available soooo, like the song says, burn it down! lol.

I was happy that things went off without a hitch and looking forward to see if the burn will allow some of native species that I have not seen yet in the planting germinate.

IMG_7304.jpeg
dsc02985-jpg.63751
IMG_7299.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC02985.JPG
    DSC02985.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Congrats on getting it done and done safely. Considering the weather conditions this weekend (DNR canceled all burn permits Sunday) I'm surprised they went thru with it.

Congrats on getting it done and done safely. Considering the weather conditions this weekend (DNR canceled all burn permits Sunday) I'm surprised they went thru with it.
My permit was originally issued from Saturday 6pm till Sunday midnight. I was in close contact with the DNR burn official that had come to my house and looked at the site, hear my burn plan and make recommendations and give me my requirements.

When I talked with him about 5:30 pm Saturday he told me that the sunday portion of the permit was now canceled but I was ok till Saturday midnight. The RH went up favorably after dark and the gusty winds died down to a very slight average 2mph out of the west southwest.

And you are correct, he told me that all special permits would be canceled for Sunday. I was lucky that all the conditions, the burn crew etc fell into line.

I think I also lucked out and had a very knowledgeable , professional and respectful DNR fire official that worked with me on short notice. Listened to my concerns, did not pull any punches as far as what I needed to do from a safety point and have a successful safe burn.

I also gave the final go ahead decision just before lighting to the experienced burn boss.

Reactions: gwm
How much did you have to pay to have that 1/4 acre burned? I've always been impressed with how a burned prairie looks long term, but I get pretty nervous around fire.

There were a few local fire departments out conducting controlled burns in SE MN yesterday on CRP acreage. It is pretty crazy considering the fire warnings out and also that there was a very large grass fire 30 miles away that required over a dozen fire departments to control.

I am lucky in that I have a network of folks that are active professionals and or involved in things like Pheasants Forever. All labor and expertise was donated to the cause of good habitat! :)

I agree that things do seem crazy with the Govt agency's burning on days they rescind special burn permits. The DNR burned 900 acres southeast of me yesterday. That burn was in a large wetland marsh type habitat so I guess plenty of natural fire breaks and roads to keep things in check. I am very new at this fire thing so I have TONS to learn yet as to what is a relatively safe burn and what is a disaster waiting to happen.

My nerves still have not calmed down to normal, lol.

Here the FD usually sets when burns are allowed depending on wind and maybe even if there are other big fires going on.I have been burning my CRP when not on fires and it's been going good but I only have about 40 to burn of mine.Mowing early makes a big difference.Glad we don't have to hire burn crews here