Zumi Crab

andrew

5 year old buck +
Anybody have a bunch of these planted? What spacing would you have to have on these? I have limited room.

Anyone?

I'm not familiar with that varieties but it would depend on rootstock, if these are standard trees for instance I space them 30-35 feet apart

I have 2 out of 5 Zumi's going strong. Three I grafted over to eater varieties. I strongly favor zumi mainly due to the nicely sized fruit and the fruit load they produce - it is one of my favorites. Not exactly long-hanging as it is virtually bare by mid-December but a strong attractant to the deer, squirrels, turkeys and songbirds. Mine were planted in 2010. Spaced about 20 feet apart and maybe 15 feet between rows. I bought them from Coldstream here in Michigan. Maybe you remember this post from the habitat section on Michigan-Sportsman way back when...I saved a snapshot. The trees in this pic are 7 and I believe my crop load this coming spring will be very similar.
Bishs-siberian.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! Do you think I could get away spacing them 15 ft Just to make a thicker hedge row? I also ordered 25 of them from cold stream for this spring.

Yes - they grow so nice with great crotch angles - 15ft would make a nice hedge I think.

Go to the m-s forum and search for posts by Bishs. He did extensive planting of Siberian and Zumi crabs on his property. Here is one thread:
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/f...e-deer-usage-dec-31-2009.317753/#post-3009356

Been awhile since I read that thread. Mostly good info but the advice on a 2 in gap at btm of tube does not work on the mouse nest problem. Saw it mentioned alot back 10 yrs ago but best to use window screen a few feet at ground level and stuff tube over the top to the ground. Those other pics of late hanging fruit are prob the sargent crabs. Small 1/2 in fruit but stay on tree a long time. The turkey orgs and state wildlife groups mention or plant them quite a bit. Siberian was another but mostly pea sized. Of the bunch Zumi prob best for deer. My .02

Jhoss - By great crotch angles, ( for a hedge ), do you mean close to 90 degrees or more vertical, upward angles ??

Yes - I would say pretty close to 90. I've never trained branches on the Zumi(s). I have pruned off watersprouts that will grow straight up off these 90 degree branches and turn into a tree inside a tree if you don't. The weight of the fruit seems to pull more vertical branches horizontal anyway - very nice attribute. Even though I get no use out of the fruit (but a zumi crabapple wine in in the back of my mind) it still is a favorite because it is a PRODUCER! Growth-Blooms-Fruit!

Is Golden Hornet a variety of zumi?

I just read that too, Bur. ^^^^^ It's some kind of cross of Zumi. I saw it 2 days ago on a site I can't remember right now. Not a well-known site, either.

According to the Brits...
Historical details
Golden Hornet is was discovered in the UK in the first half of the 20th century. It is possibly a natural cross between Malus sieboldii calocarpa and Malus prunifolia coccinea.

Botanical name
Malus x zumi var. calocarpa 'Golden Hornet'

Thanks R & S. ^^^

Jhoss - Post #5 ........ Is that a pic of the Zumi or the Siberian ?? Are they about 1" dia. or so ?? ( judging from the pic ).

That pic is of Zumi. Siberian is pea size fruit shown here:
IMG_0250_zpsfd3cefa9.jpg

Thanks Jhoss.

Cold Stream Farms from Michigan has Zumi, Sargent, and Siberian crabs still available in some form (mostly 1'-2') that you can get for under $1.25 ea if you order at least 25. Looks like they are out of Washington Hawthorn. I believe our local NWTF chapter used to order from them which is where I got most of mine from. They always did well except for the one year a "helper" had broke apart the bundles and laid them on the driveway. Dried out the roots from the start and many did not make it past 1st winter..... so don't do that!