Zone 3b bloom

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I was at my hunting land this weekend, and noticed I only had 2 apple trees out of 22 that have bloomed. I know it has been a late, cool, wet spring, but I was wondering what anyone else in the NW Wisconsin, central MN areas had as far as apple trees that have bloomed this year? I know many factors, but just curious over all if your trees are past bloom, currently blooming, or havent started yet?

I was disappointed in the number of apple trees I had in full bloom this spring, last year was phenomenal. My crabs are blossomed out nicely but I do feel the apples were less than what I expected - not sure if our -38 temps put the hit on the bloom this year but most of my trees are not bi annual. I have many that lack any blossoms.

The 2 that I have in bloom is a Fireside, and a Dolgo. I will be back up this weekend, and I hope I see many more with flowers, or it will be a disappointing year as far as apples go.

Dolgo and sweet 16 are the only blooming yet here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They have been slow to bloom and I will probably have little fruit on my Kerr. Other trees look great this year.

Cold can kill the fruit Spurs, so I hear.
2d1d3d10d1734966a06daa09e212ae55.jpg
ec7522b92bb65b1aeeee44c82eefdad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear some of you guys are having bloom trouble. Hopefully you still get some that DO bloom.

Kind of is what it is,... mother nature can be fickle - that why we plant as many as we can I guess and try to keep in mind variety is the spice of life. I have a mix of crabs and a mix of apples to the point now that we always seem to have some apples.

as a side not I dont think it was an issue of any late frosts.

Same experience here, with the apple trees I had maybe 1/4 of them bloom and ones that did I wouldn't consider had a full bloom. I think the wet cold weather could have made them miss.
The pears bloomed normal though, nature is strange.

Your right,.. We have had a ton of rain, not much for a late frost - but I would agree the extended wet cold weather is likely the main cause. I did have a pretty amazing bloom last year with my trees and I have seen before after a great year the trees do lay off a bit as far as being productive. But this year looks to be one of the worst for blooms. Apart from the crabs which always seem to blossom. I am a slight convert to having more and more crabs around just for their added dependability.

Heavy bloom on 95% percent of the trees on my orchard property. Weather has been favorable for good pollination. Looking forward to a great harvest season.

Attachments

• IMG_3473.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    596.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 10
Your right,.. We have had a ton of rain, not much for a late frost - but I would agree the extended wet cold weather is likely the main cause. I did have a pretty amazing bloom last year with my trees and I have seen before after a great year the trees do lay off a bit as far as being productive. But this year looks to be one of the worst for blooms. Apart from the crabs which always seem to blossom. I am a slight convert to having more and more crabs around just for their added dependability.

Do you think there is still a chance they will put on a good bloom yet this year? Or do you think they are skipping the bloom this year? 3 weeks ago I went and checked on my trees and they were mostly green tip, and some silver tips. Last weekend, they had some leaves, but not fully leafed out yet, but only 2 of them had any blooms. I was hoping that they were just running behind, and would still put on a bloom. I will be going up tomorrow and checking on them again, hoping to see a lot more blooming, but I am not holding my breath on it.

I think they are done, I dont expect anymore to come into bloom, Your further north than me it may be different up there but Im guessing not. I have some very young trees that might but anything established should be done by now, most of my apple trees are dropping the blooms now with the crabs still showing off a bit.

Honeycrisp at full bloom. Liberty, Franklin, Snowsweet at early petal fall. Lots off pollinators this season. Most bumblebees that I seen in years. Mason bees too. We have 12 hives on site and activity has been excellent with 5 good weather days. My 100 tree Apple Tree Wildlife plot 1.4 Mike's to the backside of the property is at full bloom. All trees heavy bloom this season. Couldn't ask for better conditions. Start chemically thinning on Tuesday.

After checking on my apple trees, I had 7 more trees with blooms on it yesterday. It sure wasn’t a heavy bloom, but not as bad as what was expected.