Youth arrows

bigeight

5 year old buck +
I bought a youth Genesis bow for my nephew who is 5 yrs old. What do you suggest for arrows to go with it ? I assume I will get them cut long so he can grow into them, but wasn't sure on the weight, etc. ?

At this point it wont matter. I would go with a heavier arrow just because it will likely be more durable. We are talking a 5 year old boy!:) By the time he graduates to a hunting bow he will have LOST or busted these original arrows. Again on length go a little long in case the arrows are still around in 6 months.

Good point. As a Christmas gift they may not make it to the New Year :)

When I bought Jake his first bow, I bought the cheap fiberglass arrows.

A couple weeks later I bought them again.

They go fast. The good news is the small bows don't shoot very far, so you usually find them in the spring when the grass is flattened by snow!

I would take him and the bow to a proshop. Most will be happy to adjust the bow and cut arrows for you. Not that it really matters much at this point, but I like the idea of getting a youngster started working with someone at a pro shop. They begin to recognize that bowhunting is different than any other kind of hunting. The begin to see the complexity and thought that goes in to shooting a bow. It is a great outing for uncle/nephew as well.

Thanks,

Jack