Your thoughts on age?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I'm seeing 2.5. Just wanted some more opinions. Sorry for the poor quality pics. These cams are up in trees:

Yup, the body definitely looks more like 2 than older. Maybe better quality pictures would look a bit different. Seems like the one Phil's thread, a good future stud!

Sure looks like a thin neck and not much of a gut. I'd be pretty excited about the future if he were hanging around my place!

Thanks guys. Yep, I'm sure hoping he stays around.

Way to hard to tell the age of this buck at this time of year. End of January most if not all bucks will look skinny. Find a picture from Mid October of him and compare.

^ yep I'm guessing this deer had a much bigger body in the fall.

First day he showed up on my cameras was Dec 3, so no early pics. I looked back and found this one. At least I think it's him:

I'd say 2.5-3.5, leaning a bit harder to 3.5, but it may be that the last pic is influencing me more than it should (the way his neck and brisket merge into one). Wouldn't be surprised/argue with either age.

P.S. Either way, I'd be excited about him for next yr.

I'd say it's the same deer from the top two pics as in the third pic. I also think he could be two or even three. Those pics are tough ones to work with. Sure hope he sticks around for ya! Maybe even get out and pick up his sheds!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to doing a little walking and shed hunting soon.

That is impressive headgear no matter what, but it isn't very thick. I'd convince myself he was 2.5, because that's what I would hope. Haha!

Just my opinion but he is 3. If he is 2 he is a stud, I see some young traits in the body (not doe like, but not filled out either), but that is a lot of antler for a 2 year old deer. I think you have a nice 3 year old there. He should make a real nice deer next season - he should improve on his mass and hopefully remain real clean as well.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can't seem to get the kind of picture a guy needs to age this deer but here are some more from this week's pull. Looks like he is making the place his home. That's the good news!

He seems tough to judge. If he was in mn or wi I'd say 2.5 but in Indiana I just don't know. Probably 3.5 is my guess.

Either way he's an easy 140 plus next year....

Thanks guys. I agree he is a great prospect whether he is 2 or 3.

Even though we're not in a great deer area, I've had some good luck so far with seeing the same deer from one season to the next. So, I think there is at least a 50% chance we will get to see him next year.