Honey gold
Snowsweet
Noran
Wolf river
Honeygold
State fair
Yellow transparent
And norkent

Wondering what your favorite cold hardie apples are. I’m in zone 4. I have room for 10 more this year.

Jo
I have several crabs along with honey gold
Chenango strawberry
Brown betty
Honey crisp
Honey gold
Snowsweet
Noran
Wolf river
Honeygold
State fair
Yellow transparent
And norkent

Wondering what your favorite cold hardie apples are. I’m in zone 4. I have room for 10 more this year.

Some of my favorites: Jonagold, Wealthy, Macoun, Shizuka (and, of course, Honeycrisp)

I am not an apple expert, but 3 standout in MN so far (for me)--Chestnut Crab, Liberty and Common Wild Apple

Prairie Spy, Minnesota 1734, Chestnut crab, All-Winter-Hangover crab, Winter Wildlife crab, Trailman apple/crab cross, Wolf River, & Dolgo crab for cold-hardy varieties.

EDIT: Kerr, Galarina are both cold-hardy varieties too.

Last edited:
This Apple stuff is addictive. I’m going to have to get my dozer guy back out here to open up some more areas in the woods for Apple trees. I’m running out of room in my current open areas while leaving some room for food plots. I’m hoping my neighbor behind me sells me his 40 someday so I can have even more area to develop how I want.

For me Honeycrisp, Arkansas Black and DropTine crab.

Cosmic Crisp.

:emoji_wink:

Favorite: Kerr Crabapple

Next Favorites: Chestnut Crabapple and Enterprise

Honorable Mention: Dolgo Crabapple, Whitney Crabapple, Zestar, Liberty, and Galarina.

Some of these I just planted over the past few years, but based on input from others on this forum these are the trees that will be the foundation of my most recent and future orchards.

At present, dolgo, chestnut, haralson,Columbia, Kerr, and some seedlings.

Under consideration, Whitney, trailman, Noran, kindercrisp,Bastians yellow flesh, centennial, violis hanging crab,Norland, and some others I can’t remember.

Did I mention chestnut for eating as well? Hazen is also easy to grow .

Start some seedlings from native/naturalized trees!
350091490410a4b37b69637f74dfa475.jpg
not totally disease free, but it does OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under consideration, Whitney, trailman, Noran, kindercrisp,Bastians yellow flesh, centennial, violis hanging crab,Norland, and some others I can’t remember.

Is your Columbia just a rootstock or is there a variety called Columbia?

Is your Columbia just a rootstock or is there a variety called Columbia?

It is a rootstock that is commonly used by Baileys or was used in the past. To the best of our knowledge it is Columbia. Hard, inedible crab that drops over a long period and late. It was by my garden if you happen to remember it.

Because I am just staring to get apples my favorite is a tree planted 5 to 10 years ago!

I didn't listen and bought box store trees (people eating varieties) and though they are starting to produce I wish I would have listened. I have since switched to crab apples (dolgo and chestnut) to start.....may add some more depending on what I can find available.

I'll post our complete list of apples and crabs at camp. We have several of many of these varieties.

Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush, Wolf River, Prairie Spy, N.Y. 35 "Bonkers", Arkansas Black, Kerr, Minnesota 1734, Sherry, Rhuby, Galarina, Winecrisp, Priscilla, Crimson Topaz, Sundance, Dolgo, Chestnut crab, All-Winter-Hangover, Whitney, Winter Wildlife crab, Hyslop crab, Violi's hanging crab, Centennial, Nova Scotia, Centurion, Wickson, Dayton, Trailman, Franklin cider apple, 5 wild apple seedlings from SLN, and 6 smaller-fruited, un-named crabs from a local conservation district.

^^^ Impressive.

Sweetango, Kindercrisp, ambroisia , Prarie Magic ,Blondie

Do your Sweetango grow well, wooDuck?

I just planted mine last year but based on initial growth I’d say Enterprise/Chestnut/Galarina are going to be some goodies.

How did you get SweetTango @wooduck?

Still waiting on fruit from most of mine, but it'll be hard for any of them to top my Zestar.

Telemark ...... " Impressive" comment at Post #14 - We planted a big variety for one purpose - to see which ones do the best for us. Some of these may not pan out in the long run. So far they have all done well, save for Whitney. It just hasn't kept up with all the others as far as growth. Over half of our trees haven't fruited yet, so we don't know what we'll have for sure until they do.

Plus ........... I'm a sucker for hearing all the guys on here talking about trees they've planted and the good opinions of those trees. They don't have to turn the reel handle - - - I've already jumped in the cooler !!! I haven't done so well curtailing my apple tree addiction.

Still waiting on fruit from most of mine, but it'll be hard for any of them to top my Zestar.

Zestar is by far the best eating apple I’ve ever had. I planted one at the house 3 years ago and am hoping to get a couple off it this year.