Young tree fertilizing question

nateb440

5 year old buck +
im from central Kentucky ridges near the ky river. My soil is not ideal. Mostly clay and rocks. I have nursed a number of Chinese chestnuts and hazelnuts and oaks along for two or three years now. They are starting to really show some good growth as I assume the root systems took a while to plow their way through the clay. Should I fertilize them? If so when and with what kind of fertilizer? I have a bunch of apples pears and cherries too--you you suggest the same treatment? Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm not a pro by any means but would love to have a forest of chestnuts in a decade or two.

Most trees don't need extra, but I usually toss a cup, or two of triple 10 on my apple trees in the spring after the leaves appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be real careful getting to much fertilizer on them, I wouldn't add anything to the chestnuts/hazelnuts/oaks if they are finally taking off...they don't respond to boosts of nitrogen like fruit trees do, I would look more into phosphorus and potassium for them in spring. The fruit trees I would go with the cup of 10-10-10 out around the drip line in spring after they have been in ground at least a year. It is very easy to burn up young roots.

Yes, I was referring to fruit tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk