Yellow Twig Dogwood - Transferred from QDMA Forums

yoderjac

5 year old buck +
John included 5 cuttings from yellow twig dogwood with my last order from Big Rock Trees as a free gift. I went ahead and started them. A quick google search shows them as an ornamental. My will love them as landscaping around the house. My question is "Do they have any specific wildlife value?"
It sure is a pretty plant!
Thanks,
Jack
I'd say they have similar wildlife value to red osier, gray, or silky dogwood. All will be browsed by deer (IME) and all will have berries that are attractive to a number of critters.
Thanks! It certainly is a beautiful plant.
Jack,
The plants those cuttings came from were in a landscape setting, so I can't say how the deer use them.
I look at them as the "lilac" for deer guys. They are BEASTS. 8-10' tall, almost as big around, and grow like crazy. Birds certainly eat the fruit, and I'll bet the deer browse them (maybe too much).
-John
John - isn't yellowtwig dogwood a varietal selection of ROD? I had it in my head that was basically the same thing genetically.
I got 2 stakes of the yellow from Big Rock last year. Planted next to my pond and they grew great........until the deer found them. They quickley made them stakes again! I have them caged now.
Quote:
==================================
Originally Posted by smsmith
John - isn't yellowtwig dogwood a varietal selection of ROD? I had it in my head that was basically the same thing genetically.
I can't say for sure, but appearance wise I would have to agree. They look pretty much identical except the color. And for some reason the ones I harvested from are more vigorous than wild ROD I've seen. Maybe because they are in a yard not competing with other vegetation.
-John
Thanks for the input John....I think the yellow stuff is similar to what they call "Cardinal R.O.D". Selected for a specific trait and bred to further develop said trait (color in both instances).
Of course, I am frequently incorrect (INTERNAL IMAGE LIKE EMOTICON REMOVED)
Well whatever it is, I like it!
It looks like the yellow twig dogwood is doing ok.
0225131733Crop_zps157e1a63.jpg
They continue to make good progress:
0302132021Crop_zps78296c68.jpg
They now seem to be showing flowering:
0317132106aCrop_zpsf4ab1c06.jpg
They look great!
Do you think the Express 18's are getting full yet?
Thanks,
-John
My wife planted these today in the yard. Four survived and took root:
0414131541Crop_zps890556a9.jpg

0414131544Crop_zpsf5e3cb9e.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoderj@cox.net
My wife planted these today in the yard. Four survived and took root:
Looks great. Does your wife travel? She did a dandy job building a bed and planting them.
I think I only sent you (4) didn't I? Did I send more and some didn't make it?
I've never had one NOT make it. Those dudes are tough.
-John
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFi911
Looks great. Does your wife travel? She did a dandy job building a bed and planting them.
I think I only sent you (4) didn't I? Did I send more and some didn't make it?
I've never had one NOT make it. Those dudes are tough.
-John
Just shows you my black thumb! You sent 5. One did not root. It looked great for quite a while, but whithered. When I extracted it from the cell, it had no roots.
I planted the 5 John sent me a couple days ago. I look forward to watching them grow. Dave
I planted the 5 he sent me today. Looking forward to watching them grow! Thanks John!! (and thanks for the free rooting hormone too)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorstom
I planted the 5 he sent me today. Looking forward to watching them grow! Thanks John!! (and thanks for the free rooting hormone too)
Lol - I thought I only had (4) in every bag - I guess there were 5!
My 7 year old bagged those first thing this winter, 1000's of cuttings ago. I forgot how many he put in the bags!
You are welcome everyone, thanks for the support!
-John
I got 5 free with my order of roughleaf dogwoods from John too. They were very easy to plant today after getting an inch and a half rain yesterday. I planted mine on the back side of my pond dam where it stays damp. Thanks John

I realize this is an old thread, but I just saw the thread on Red Twig Dogwood and thought I'd resurrect it.
This must be fairly high on the preferred browse list for deer. As you can see from earlier in this thread, my wife liked this so we planted it around the yard. We do have a few deer that frequent the neighborhood, but not enough that folks have any issues with azaleas or similar highly preferred ornamentals like they do in many neighborhoods in our general area.
After we planted it last year, it took off well. During mid summer, I noticed most of the leaves were gone. I presumed it was the groundhogs we have around the yard.
My wife took some step-in electric fence posts and hung a small fence about 4' tall. It bounded back quickly and I didn't think any more of it.
Last week I was cutting the grass and noticed that it being browsed fairly hard above the fence. That pretty much rules out anything but deer in our area.
Once this stuff gets fully established at my house, I may take cuttings and add it to the elderberry I used to naturally brush in my box blinds.
Thanks,
Jack

END OF TRANSFER FROM QDMA FORUMS