All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yeast bloom/moldy scions

tinytim

5 year old buck +
I have been blessed with a whole lot of clear cut around our camp since last year, so I am planning to put a few orchards around. I took a chance and ordered some scions from a site I found on the internet, they arrived today. I am extremely happy, but a few of them are covered in what I believe is yeast bloom, and a couple have mold in a couple spots. I'm sure it has come up but I can't find answers when I search, so what would you guys do with these. 10% bleach? wash and scrub with dish soap and toothbrush? hydrogen peroxide dip maybe? I will not be grafting until the first week in may so I have to store them for a month and a half. Thanks, timP3160010.JPG P3160011.JPG

I could be wrong but I've seen that on some of my trees new growth, after they get bigger it goes away.

None of what I see in those pics would concern me but if you wanted to wipe them down with water or light bleach solution I think that would be fine also

They look good to me! Can I ask what site you used?

Some of the scions I received from GRIN were like that.

That "fuzz" is common on some varieties, I see nothing I would be worried about at this point.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it, I wasn't overly concerned although I did wipe a few of them off with a paper towel and a little bleach and pitched a few that had black fuzzy mold on them.
Smallchunk, these came from Summerland Varieties, I think the majority of these look great and they sent way more than I ordered, i just wish shipping could be cheaper as they had to go by express courier across the country which cost as much as the order.