All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yarwood Crab ??

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Any of you guys from Wisc. or Minn. ever hear of Yarwood crab ?? I saw Maple Valley Orchards has scion for sale from it. They describe it as a 1" to 1 1/2" dia., cherry red crab. It was discovered in a ditch along Yarwood Rd. near Gillett, Wisc. It must be hardy being from up there in Wisc.

Anyone have a Yarwood crab ??

Don't have one but Gillett I think Zone 4b like most of Oconto Cty. If it was a little closer to Green Bay would be Zone 5a. So maybe ok for MN fellas but Zone 3 would be unknown.

Missed an opportunity bout 5 yrs ago to get a tour with some other WWOA landowners at Maple Valley Orchards. Think they have a lot of old apple varieties and like to talk about red fleshed ones too. Can guess they are probably passionate about all things apple.

Gotta buddy originally from Gillett but haven't been up there since his folks died. Maybe I'll have to make a roadtrip again some day.

I noticed Maple Valley had quite a few apple varieties I'd never heard of. Redflesh ones too. Probably some seedling varieties from that local region as well.

Nuther place with redfleshed fruit is Perfect Circle Farms from VT. Have some hybrid hazelnuts and hicans on order from them. First time order with them, no fruit stuff tho. A little higher priced but a small order not a big deal for me.

They also have a selection of local found tree sources. The redspot yellow apple is kinda funky looking

Nuther place with redfleshed fruit is Perfect Circle Farms from VT. Have some hybrid hazelnuts and hicans on order from them. First time order with them, no fruit stuff tho. A little higher priced but a small order not a big deal for me.

They also have a selection of local found tree sources. The redspot yellow apple is kinda funky looking

What hybrid hazelnuts are you trying out?

Cross of European (for larger size) and American hazelnut (hardiness and disease resist). Planted similar hybrids from a WI grower last year. Just trying for some more diversity. These hybrids are just a roll of the dice with what you get. Nothing out there that is true winner yet on what would be a commercial crop so don't think any grafts are being done. Here's a pic which shows a larger nut than just American variety alone. Course this is probably the cream of the crop pic they can come up with to entice more sales.

IMG_1462.jpg