All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wouldn't it be nice

leexrayshady

5 year old buck +
Wouldn't it be nice if this was actually possible, apple grafted onto hybrid poplar. I had extra, thought what the heck extra practice2015-05-04 20.01.05.jpg

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME IF IT DID

Apples and OAKS!!!!!

Called prapple or applar?

Hybrid Poplar and oaks = Hybrid Poaks!

I thought Hoax!

I've got some b118 rootstock in my stoolbed if you need anything more to graft onto lee. There yours if you want them.

IF that thing grows and thrives you will be a hero!

How about apple on to black cherry? Any chance or is it genetically impossible?

Wouldn't it be nice if this was actually possible, apple grafted onto hybrid poplar. I had extra, thought what the heck extra practiceView attachment 4886
I hope your ready to fight all those poplar shoots if you want to give that apple a fair chance.

Apple to cherry would have higher odds than apple to poplar. Cherry is at least in the same family (Rosaceae). I've seen a few folks reporting success with pear/apple and pear/hawthorn (better odds)...but they're few and far between.
I will have to try, we have all these huge black cherry trees we keep hinge cutting. Time to try and grow an apple on a cherry tree.

^^^maybe try grafting some larger fruited cherries onto them too. May or may not be good "deer food" but I bet the birds would be happy. Nothing like a homemade cherry pie with a lattice work top crust ;)

I had started planting prunus avium on my folks' old place because they were supposed to be drought tolerant and produce a decent sized fruit. Last I checked they were doing well in unamended soil.

Who's got my cherry scions? Aero? He seems to have everything.