All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you climb a tree this way ?

Why not just carry in 4-5 climbing sticks?

No. What would happen if his steps fell when he was moving them? Looks like he was a line men and he was always fastened to the tree.

Wow. Pretty impressive. Way past my capability.....and after I got up there I'd likely get a "nature call" anyway......and have to do it all over again. :rolleyes::D

I think I have seen this video before or one similar on thehuntingbeast.com. There are a lot of guys over that hunt public land so something like this would let you walk further in with less weight to carry.

Edit: Found that thread http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?t=20108

He's young & dumb. When I was young & dumb I would give a bear hug to a tree and shimmy up it. At least he's tied off with a rope. Can't say I did that in my Y&D years.

I can remember buying my first Baker tree stand. Hugged the tree and pulled the stand up with bungee cords on your feet. Made a quick slide down a few trees with that rig before I gave up on going too high with it. Bark rash on more than one occasion.

I don't bear hug any more and probably can't. Screw in steps have eliminated that

He's young & dumb. When I was young & dumb I would give a bear hug to a tree and shimmy up it. At least he's tied off with a rope. Can't say I did that in my Y&D years.

There are old lumberjacks, and there are bold lumberjacks ... they are no old bold lumberjacks ;)

I used to climb rock and ice in college…it looks like he has a background in climbing. He's very sure of his gear and his technique, as all climbers must be.

I like it. Seems like it would allow one to get in to the backcountry a bit lighter. I can also see this useful for getting up and over a new spot, like a scrape line for example, quietly and quickly.

I like it too for the right application. Say you get a wild hair an want to try a new spot with limited noise but not so sure you want a permanent stand there yet. Very cool
Tks for posting

Not for me. Way too slow to get up and down a tree. When I am hunting I want to spend my time hunting not pretending I am a monkey.

I think it takes too long this way. Sometimes you need to get down a little quicker.

He forgot his bow.

The only benefits I see to this method would be the obvious weight difference while walking and the ability to go as high as you want. Even with 4 or 5 climbing sticks, you are limited to a fairly consistent set height. Otherwise, I think it just takes too long. I can set up 4 climbing sticks every bit as quick, or quicker. And I would feel a lot safer doing it my way, but he sure has it down to a science, for him.