All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woodstock Nursery

andrew

5 year old buck +
Anyone know what rootstock their semi dwarfs are? will they tolerate zone 4?

I have trees from them for the past six years in zone 4 with good results

Thanks for the info, after reading on here I see the B118 is good for northern climates. I ordered a chestnut and whitney crab, fireside, enterprise, and liberty from them last year, I just wanted to make sure I made the right choice.

Anyone know what rootstock their semi dwarfs are? will they tolerate zone 4?

Their semi-dwarf trees have historically been on M7

I see in a mailer that they are also offering standard XXX-Large trees on Antinovka and B118 ones for Candycrisp, Cortland, Fireside, Honeycrisp, Kindercrisp, McIntosh, Norland, Red Baron, Red Duchess, Red Regent, State Fair, Whitney, Winesap, Wodarz, Yellow Transparent, and Zestar. But you gonna have to pony up more dollars for these and likely more care first year since they are larger 8'-12'. They knockoff a few bucks with the specials in the flyer and looking at $45 ea. Oh yeah, too large to ship must pickup.

Do you think my semi dwarfs will be ok on an M7 in zone 4?

Do you think my semi dwarfs will be ok on an M7 in zone 4?
I bought a bunch of trees from Woodstock Wallace in April 2014, all on M7. I'm in zone 4 & most have flourished. M7 grows to 50% the size of a standard tree. I have since transitioned to M111 and/or B118 just because I want a bigger trees.
Of the WW offerings, I would steer away from CandyCrisp & Fireside, both have been very disease susceptible for me. I spray a couple times per year.

Much as I love eating Honeycrisp, growing them in my Cedar filled area has been very challenging as well.

If you're new to the Apple tree world, I strongly encourage you to pick the most disease resistant varieties & take the time to screen, cage, prune.

Thanks!