Wood duck question.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have a lot of wood ducks. Or, it seems like I do. I have a “river” (that is what they call it, about 30 feet wide and 6 to 30 inches deep) that runs through a bottom that I plant in corn. The bottom is 2-3 miles long. That river has a lot of timber on the sides and wood ducks are always in there during the fall. Our limit is 3 a day. I have shot 4 so far this year. My question is will the same group of wood ducks stay in an area like that for a few weeks before heading south, or am I getting different ducks each week. As you can tell I don’t know crap about ducks, but I sure don’t want to shoot too many of them, and I would like to hunt a couple more days this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wood ducks are generally considered short distance migrants. They may stay in the same area until freeze up but even then only go as far as they have to go to find open water and cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They usually stay till they get froze out, and more will filter in, as it freezes out to the North.

They usually stay till they get froze out, and more will filter in, as it freezes out to the North.

Well I only hunted ducks once 20 years ago this fall. I was great. As near as I can recall I shot for three mornings almost non stop heating the barrel up like it was in a forge. The great state of Louisiana has never seen such a consumption of shotgun shells and I am pretty damn sure not a single BB launched by me ever touched a single duck.

Having killed four in three outings so far, I am thinking I like this and want to make sure I have plenty next year too :). I will say there does seem to be a lot more than there was the week before season came in.

Actually, the wood ducks have come to this river bottom for the 18 years that I have had the farm. However, I was always just so consumed by deer hunting that I didn’t pay attention I to them. My mistake.

One guy isn't going to wipe out that much river with the conservative limits.

Resident birds get smart quick and will move on if you pressure them too much.

......All my wood ducks have names

H2Ofowler is the authority .....perhaps he will visit this thread

bill

Resident birds get smart quick and will move on if you pressure them too much.

Thanks. That was really my biggest concern, and I did not articulate it. Yes, I enjoyed a few hunts, but I enjoy having them on the river more. I would rather never hunt them and have them than not. We don’t “freeze over”, but they do seem to leave in late November each year. Then they are back in the spring.

I don’t put up any houses or anything like that, but the area does seem like ideal habitat for them. Hollow trees and logs, the river is pretty much canopied over in about 60 percent of the area.

One of my favorite things in the fall is when the woodies move in... I have a large stream as well and I get small groups of 4 to 6 birds that come in for a few weeks and then move on. I find myself watching them more while on stand than focusing on what I should be! The sounds and ruckus and their colors just are awesome. Woodies are the second most populace duck here, with mallards being the top.

We have about 40 acres. We shot 30 woodies last year. I wouldn't worry about shooting too many.

Ah, wood ducks are ok, but I don't understand them. At my place from about 10 minutes before legal shooting time until about 20 minutes after they fly thru the air with the greatest of ease. Of course, we shoot, shoot, shoot and GOD laughs, laughs, laughs.

Where are the wood ducks going? It's like rush hour - and then nothing. Do they have jobs in the city? And how come they don't come back the same way they flew out?

I do.
Everyday...

PS - I don't understand women either, but we all have fun, sorta.

Woodies love acorns close to water. If you have some oaks scattered around that river bottom you will attract more ducks moving in as long as the food holds out and you don't pound a spot week after week. Spread out your hunting locations and should be good to go back to your honey holes a couple of weeks later. I rate them right up there with mallards for decent eatn' just smaller. Wood duck breast poppers on top of half a jalapeno, dab of cream cheese, wrapped 1/4 strip of bacon, skewered with toothpick and grilled are awesome.

Last edited:
Ah, wood ducks are ok, but I don't understand them. At my place from about 10 minutes before legal shooting time until about 20 minutes after they fly thru the air with the greatest of ease. Of course, we shoot, shoot, shoot and GOD laughs, laughs, laughs.

Where are the wood ducks going? It's like rush hour - and then nothing. Do they have jobs in the city? And how come they don't come back the same way they flew out?

I do.
Everyday...

PS - I don't understand women either, but we all have fun, sorta.

......A cogent distillation of a timeless metaphysical quandry..........

bill

They will filter thru most of the season if you have open water. A little hunting pressure may push out the ones that are there, but they will be replaced with others with conditions like you say. One guy shooting a couple a week isn't going to even dent the population.

They will filter thru most of the season if you have open water. A little hunting pressure may push out the ones that are there, but they will be replaced with others with conditions like you say. One guy shooting a couple a week isn't going to even dent the population.

Thanks. I was probably just lucky on the first few and might not even hit a couple a week ha ha.