Wood ash/ fireplace ash

Nova

5 year old buck +
Other than to neutralize PH is there any value on wood ash or fireplace ash on food plots?

Ash and small pieces of charcoal help built up the soil. I dump mine in a sandy section of a food plot and there is a noticeable difference where the ash is dumped versus other areas. A pile of ash and charcoal stays wet and mushy a long time, so I'm guessing it helps sandy soil hold water longer as well.

Wood ash is a great addition to your plots, it provides K in the form of potassium carbonate(thus the pH adjustment it provides), it also supplies some amounts of trace nutrients as well. I even dump my charcoal ashes from my grill on the ornamental plants around my house.

Last edited:
Yup! That's it, silly me not paying attention! Fixed it as to not cause confusion...............:oops:

Disclaimer........wood ash will not provide phosphorus(P) to your soil.

LOL!

Ash and small pieces of charcoal help built up the soil. I dump mine in a sandy section of a food plot and there is a noticeable difference where the ash is dumped versus other areas. A pile of ash and charcoal stays wet and mushy a long time, so I'm guessing it helps sandy soil hold water longer as well.

And what is even better is if you decrease the ash and increase the charcoal. Biochar is created when biosolids (like wood chips) are burned in a low oxygen environment. Here is a thread discussing it: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...th-article-transferred-from-qdma-forums.5730/

So far, I've been unsuccessful using it with containerized trees, but that is my own fault for not realizing the C:N balancing I was trying to do would N shock young seedlings. I haven't found an economic way to create and apply it on the scale necessary for food plots, but it was a fun experiment.

Thanks,

jack

I dump my ashes in my compost pile. Theres some horse manure and household veggie scraps in there as well. I also dump-in the potting soil from my wife's deck plants each fall when we terminate everything. Makes beautiful compost. I've been adding that compost mixture to the backfill when I plant trees.