Wolves in Wisconsin 2016

bueller

New map available from the WI DNR
2016_Wolf_Detection.jpg

How big of a problem are they? No wolves down here, but all I can imagine is how a pack of 200lb yotes would be. Do you have big cats as well? I don't in my part of the state here, but they show up on game cams occasionally west of me.

It is about time they updated this, I think the last one they did may have been 2012. Kind of interesting how that line through the center of Marathon Co and down into Wood Co follows right along the Wisconsin River. They aren't stupid, they know how to stay under enough cover that they remain relatively undetected by most people. Looks like a few might be stopping near bueller's place for a snack, if they already haven't. I know they are VERY near to badgerfowl's place.

Merle, if you have them they are the biggest PIA a deer manager can imagine and can undoubtedly affect your deer herd/hunting more than any other creature that walks North America. Sure, bears get a few young fawns each year, along with the yotes, bobcats, and maybe even some of the other small carnivores, but none of those other animals chase and eat them year around like the wolves do. As far as mountain lions, we just get dispersing young males traveling through on cameras every year or so, similar to what you are saying. No real resident population to speak of, at least not that anyone can prove at all, so the large cats are a non-issue here...........for now.

It is about time they updated this, I think the last one they did may have been 2012. Kind of interesting how that line through the center of Marathon Co and down into Wood Co follows right along the Wisconsin River. They aren't stupid, they know how to stay under enough cover that they remain relatively undetected by most people. Looks like a few might be stopping near bueller's place for a snack, if they already haven't. I know they are VERY near to badgerfowl's place.

Merle, if you have them they are the biggest PIA a deer manager can imagine and can undoubtedly affect your deer herd/hunting more than any other creature that walks North America. Sure, bears get a few young fawns each year, along with the yotes, bobcats, and maybe even some of the other small carnivores, but none of those other animals chase and eat them year around like the wolves do. As far as mountain lions, we just get dispersing young males traveling through on cameras every year or so, similar to what you are saying. No real resident population to speak of, at least not that anyone can prove at all, so the large cats are a non-issue here...........for now.
Nice catch on the WI River pattern. I hadn't noticed that. It really follows the west side of the river. Same thing on the east side of the river in Adams County. Both are some distance from the actual water and I bet that can be attributed to the development and population along the river and flowages. We have stragglers get whacked by a car or spotted by residents every once in a while by us, but in running multiple cams for years now we thankfully have never had one on camera. The smaller parcels and therefore increased human activity where I'm at will hopefully prevent a pack from setting up shop, fingers crossed. I'm pretty sure badgerfowl's place is within one of those circles documenting a known pack :(.

Merle, whip pretty much nailed it with his post. I've read posts by several on the forums that describe having a good deer population on their land on years when they don't see any wolves around. Sometimes this lasts for a couple years and then the wolves come back through and their deer sightings drop off dramatically. Thankfully most of them report that once the wolves move on again the deer population quickly re-establishes itself. But it's only short lived for those in the northern part of the state because the wolves are sure to return again in a year or two.

I don't know why they are not shoot on sight.
Darn treehuggers!

Glad we don't have them.

I didn't see any sign of them last year but I watched 2 chase 7 does past me the year before. And I had a trailcam pic of one with a collar on it.
IMG_0237.JPG
This was 20yds.

I don't know why they are not shoot on sight.
Darn treehuggers!

Glad we don't have them.
I didn't see any sign of them last year but I watched 2 chase 7 does past me the year before. And I had a trailcam pic of one with a collar on it.
View attachment 9107
This was 20yds.
^^^ This is a big reason why many are reluctant to shoot them.

My wolves aren't much smaller than yours.:)

There are wolves in Marquette County our neighbor has caught them in their Coyote traps.

There are wolves in Marquette County our neighbor has caught them in their Coyote traps.

Agree. One of my neighbors has trapped 3, I have had them on my game cams, and I had one chase 2 does past my bow stand one afternoon. He came walking back past me and came towards me because of the doe scent i had out. Was distracted by a group of turkeys and proceeded to go eat one of them.

This is a story I found on another site. For me it is disheartening. Been in the north woods since the late 70's. Have seen deer numbers rebound after hard winters before the 2000's. Our deer numbers still haven't recovered from the 2 hard winters a few years ago. I don't know if they will with these predators.

http://www.wjfw.com/storydetails/20160624182940

I can speak first hand how they can wreck your hunting for years. They have thinned out a little over the past couple years, probably because of the hard winters, and the low population of deer for them. The deer are on recovery mode now, and so far the past 2 years have been light on the wolves, but as soon as the deer numbers get in a good range, either the wolves, or the WIDNR will mess it up.

About 4-5 years ago was the worst on my land. There were more wolf sightings, then deer sightings. The wolves had 0 fear of us. They would walk right under your deer stand. I had 2 walking up my driveway, and my son was in stand, so I tried to chase them back, but they kept right on to me. Wind at my back, blowing directly at them, I was waving my arms, shouting at them, I even threw a stick at them, then one cut in the woods about 20 yards in front of me, then went right around me, the other came within 10 yards, and I moved, he veered slightly, but I was too uncomfortable with my escape route to stay longer.

Give me bear over wolves any day. A bear may eat a couple small fawns a year, but they are not his primary food source. A wolf, can eat a deer per day, per wolf. Not to mention the ones they kill, and dont eat. And it isnt even that they kill them all, they will scare them off your land, and as long as they are there, the deer wont be.

Does anyone know if Wisconsin has ongoing or new collaring studies? We probably have over 100 wolf pictures over the last few years and this is the first collared one on our land.2016-5-24 Facing Road.JPG

I am changing the discussion a bit, but what if moose are called an endangered species by the feds? How will they handle managing wolves and moose for recovery?

second question. Minnesota is talking about severely restricting deer populations in moose areas. If moose become endangered, will deer numbers need to be kept very low over large areas of Mn and Wis?

Does anyone know if Wisconsin has ongoing or new collaring studies? We probably have over 100 wolf pictures over the last few years and this is the first collared one on our land.View attachment 9193

Read a recent article they collar every year. 11 more this year and 20 year before

Do you have a location I could find this article?

Latest issue wi outdoor news

"A wolf, can eat a deer per day, per wolf. Not to mention the ones they kill, and don't eat." I have seen studies that show a wolf can consume up to 20 deer/year never 365 and thrill kills are a freak , rare incident.
Are these similar to the studies that say we have less than 1000 wolves in the state?

Or any! If I want to see a k9 in the woods, I will take my dogs with me!
If the big city schmucks want them, they can have all they want in the big city!

Do your math, 1,000 wolves are eating 365,000 deer/year? Please post the study.

Then actually consider what is meant by eating a deer a day ... A typical deer would yield 30-40 lbs of meat and then 20 plus lbs of organ meat. Doesn't add up.