All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolf Pictures ?

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We are not seeing hardly any fawns this year and normally have a lot. Got these trail cam photos Sunday and this is what we found. I think the 3 pictures of the same animal are a wolf and the single photo could be a wolf or large coyote. This is in Adams County, Central Wis. Thanks for your thoughts

Attachments

• MFDC4184.JPG
    MFDC4184.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 106
  • MFDC4190.JPG
    MFDC4190.JPG
    409.2 KB · Views: 103
  • MFDC4191.JPG
    MFDC4191.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 102
  • MFDC3420.JPG
    MFDC3420.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 103
I agree with you. First three pics wolf and last pic coyote.

I don't see any telemetry collars on them, so I'd assume they are all coyotes which are legal to shoot. might not want to parade around with those "coyotes" dead in the back of your truck though.

Wolf wolf wolf yote.... whats your bear pop looking like down there this year they can be hard on the fawns too

We have a bear, 3 sightings ; and a large bobcat as well. Bobcat has been around for 3 years

Attachments

• MFDC3581.JPG
    MFDC3581.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 33
  • MFDC3430.JPG
    MFDC3430.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 34
  • MFDC1108.JPG
    MFDC1108.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 33
The three pics sure look like a wolf, the other is a yote. Sorry to hear you have them moving into your area...they are a scourge and a renewable resource that should be managed like one.

All yotes, fire at will....

Disclaimer: I am not an expert in wild canine identification(mostly by choice), but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once?!?

Umm yep, you have wolf(s). I think the winter and late spring may be responsible for the lack of fawns this year though. I've had few on camera this year and no twins that I recall.

It would be unfortunate if you accidentally shot that stray German Shepard that was on your property and you felt was a threat to your family ...

Thanks for the reply Bueller. I know you are not to far away and maybe that is a possibility as well. We had a lot of winter rye & winter wheat available for them this spring and they ate it to the ground. Not quite sure want the problem is but we have a lot of coyotes as well. I do know we have never had this many predators in one year. Coyotes, Wolf(s), Bear and Bobcats. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the reply Bueller. I know you are not to far away and maybe that is a possibility as well. We had a lot of winter rye & winter wheat available for them this spring and they ate it to the ground. Not quite sure want the problem is but we have a lot of coyotes as well. I do know we have never had this many predators in one year. Coyotes, Wolf(s), Bear and Bobcats. Thanks again for your input.
Anytime. I know we had talked about possibly meeting up sometime this year. I apologize. The weeks and months have just flown by. I'm still not done planting fall plots yet and have several stands that I wanted to get up or move this summer that I haven't gotten around too. Way behind on everything and the season opens in 10 days.

We sure would like to meet you sometime this year, even if its for a drink at a nearby bar or restaurant. My son and I are going up for the opening Sat. 15th. We could meet you some where Sat. night if you would like. Just name the place. We'll find it. I'm not sure this is the way to do this on this site but I don't know how else to communicate with an individual without every one else seeing it. If there is a way let me know. Thanks Again.

We sure would like to meet you sometime this year, even if its for a drink at a nearby bar or restaurant. My son and I are going up for the opening Sat. 15th. We could meet you some where Sat. night if you would like. Just name the place. We'll find it. I'm not sure this is the way to do this on this site but I don't know how else to communicate with an individual without every one else seeing it. If there is a way let me know. Thanks Again.
Check your inbox aka conversations. It's found in the top right corner of the forum.

You've got problems. Deal with them.
tumblr_inline_o36zquAkpM1tvh2gr_500.gif

I wouldn't wish wolves on anyone. They F everything up. Good luck!

Definitely not surprising you aren't seeing any fawns with yotes, wolves, bear, and bobcats around. yikes.

If I had to guess, I'd say all are yotes based on the size of the ears relative to the size of the head. Wolfs tend to have a wide head and smaller ears. As always, I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents.

I've got plenty of yotes and cats, but no wolves. I'm sure the bear and cats will get some fawns, but pick-ups take a heavy toll too. I'm hoping you've just got a batch of shy fawns this year. Great pics of all of them.

If I had to guess, I'd say all are yotes based on the size of the ears relative to the size of the head. Wolfs tend to have a wide head and smaller ears. As always, I could be wrong but that's my 2 cents.

I've got plenty of yotes and cats, but no wolves. I'm sure the bear and cats will get some fawns, but pick-ups take a heavy toll too. I'm hoping you've just got a batch of shy fawns this year. Great pics of all of them.

If you’re being dead serious, you’re wrong. Those are not coyotes in the first three pics. Not even close.

If you’re being facetious, carry on.

Well on the bright side, if you have yotes out and about, you dont have to many wolves in the area. In my area it usually goes in about 7 year swings, starting off with a good population of deer, then the yotes move in for a year or 2, then the wolves, then very few deer, then no wolves again, with increasing deer, rinse and repeat.

This has been a rough winter and spring for deer. I havent been monitoring the deer population much this year, because I pulled most of my plot cams, and I am using them for other purposes, but my guess is my deer numbers are way down this year.

I am also not to certain those first pictures are wolves. If they are they are youngsters.

About 3 years ago I had more Wolf pictures then I did deer. Very few youngsters out hunting, they were mostly adults.

513A2A0F-7F25-41AA-9203-A04D85B83ED8.png

Definitely a wolf & a decent sized 'Yote. I live with all of the major predators (bear, yote, bobcat, & wolves), and still have a good deer herd. Bear, bobcat, & coyotes can all be hard on young fawns in the spring, but become less of a factor later in the season. Wolves take 'em whenever they darn well feel like it. Thankfully, the wolves are normally only around my place in the very early spring during calving season. I don't think the ranchers in my area have ever actually seen a wolf. ;-) I can tell you that the more activity you have on your property in the spring, the better your fawn survival rate will be, as the bears & bobcats do not like humans around at all.