All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wisconsin Spring Turkey

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
The results for Spring Turkey season drawing are online. My son and I drew 1st season and my wife drew 4th season.

Week 1 for me!

It looks like they did back it out a week which sucks big time if we have an "early" spring. Toms are all henned up before you can even take to the woods, and how many guys want to be chasing birds around on May 30th when it could be 80 degrees outside anyway? Stupid, if anything they should have moved it forward a week, especially with the current weather trends over the last 10-15 years.

At my place the last three years they have been done breeding after the 5th week. Even starting a week late we should be able to get a number of birds unless I get a cash buyer for my place come spring and I have to get out of dodge.

That will now be Week 4................;).......:mad:

That will now be Week 4................;).......:mad:

At least I have the first week and my son and I should be able to get a tag for week 3 and week 4.

I always used to buy late season over the counter tags, sometimes one for every week that was available, but I'm pretty sure I won't be spending money on anything later than Week 4 moving forward.

Yup, the "new" Week 1 was the "old" Week 2. They pretty much moved it all back to accomodate the 2 day youth season. Lots of youth hunt participants complaining that the weather for the youth weekend was too nasty for kids to hunt in, so they changed the whole shooting match for everyone.

I noticed they moved it back when applying but didn't know the reason why.

Zone 1 leftover tags go on sale on March 20th. 4,100 tags available for Week 3, I'm going to try to get one to add to my Week 1 tag. I will no longer look at later weeks due to the DNR moving the seasons back to accommodate a few thousand folks who participate in the youth hunt at the expense of the 200,000+ other spring turkey hunters in the state. I'm not against the youth hunt at all, I did it with my daughter for many years, but the kids get to hunt not only in the youth season with their tags, they can use it for whatever week it was valid for as well, so moving it back was pointless and detrimental to the harvest IMO, as the birds will already be completely henned-up by week 2 or 3 now. If the weather was bad for the youth hunt, Jr, still had 7 days to hunt during the week the drew their tag for. The vast majority of tags for weeks 5 and 6 will likely go unsold now, as Week 6 always ended up having thousands of unsold permits as it was. It will only get worse now that we would be hunting the last week of May when the temps could be in the 80's and the hens will have been sitting on nests for weeks already.

Yea, zero leftover tags in Zone 4 for week 3 when there used to be. Looks like we'll only be turkey hunting for a couple weeks now this year unless we hit it Zone 1 week 3.

C'mon now shawn, the state would love it if you took some of those week 6 tags off their hands for $10 a piece!;) Then you could get up at 2 or 3am to make it to your blind before sun up.

C'mon now shawn, the state would love it if you took some of those week 6 tags off their hands for $10 a piece!;) Then you could get up at 2 or 3am to make it to your blind before sun up.

Luckily at the moment I live where I can just walk out the back door so I get to sleep a little more than most guys. Actually do most of my hunting in the PM and save the AM more for the weekends but that's back when between my son and I we had 4 weeks to hunt.